Author Topic: Tungsten Identification???  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
Re: Tungsten Identification???
« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2012, 07:58 PM »
Snowman, I will get a better picture tomorrow night. I am sure I have at least 10-12 tungsten jigs in the mix. Some of them are Fiskas, I got those at the Syracuse Ice Show last year. 
Thanks everyone for your ideas and information. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:15 PM »
I don't know that a scale would be of much value unless you could verify the actual physical size of the jig. That could be a time consuming process but not difficult. All that would be required is a finely graduated cylinder with water in it. Submerge the jig and note the displacement. Even then small differences in physical size vs. small differences in weight would require some analysis to make a determination.

On the other hand, tungsten is much harder than lead and the sound difference "should" be discernible. Additionally, a pin or other sharp pointy thing stuck in an unobtrusive spot should poke into lead and probably bend over on tungsten. Sometimes low tech is good.

I'm no expert, just my brain telling me what might work.........

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2012, 09:08 PM »
how bout simply racing them in a tall ,clear glass vase of water. drop 2 side by side ,same size. tung. wins.

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 12, 2012, 09:57 PM »
Snowman, I will get a better picture tomorrow night. I am sure I have at least 10-12 tungsten jigs in the mix. Some of them are Fiskas, I got those at the Syracuse Ice Show last year. 
Thanks everyone for your ideas and information.

Its tough to tell by the pics for me,  but the one on the white one on the left top row looks kind of like an epoxy fiskas and the pink one next to the gold could very well be as well.  Better pics could help, and you could also compare those to the pics on their website.  As far as I know their paint patterns haven't changed at all, they have just added more to them.  Another way to help tell, is that they won't have an added bead and plastic tubing on them either, if they have a spot on the back its part of the epoxied body.

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2012, 09:58 PM »
some might be in the box not pictured as well by the sounds of it

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:17 AM »
I don't know that a scale would be of much value unless you could verify the actual physical size of the jig.

On the other hand, tungsten is much harder than lead and the sound difference "should" be discernible. Additionally, a pin or other sharp pointy thing stuck in an unobtrusive spot should poke into lead and probably bend over on tungsten. Sometimes low tech is good.

I'm no expert, just my brain telling me what might work.........

/m

With Wolfram (tungsten) being 1.7 times heavier, I mean that is almost twice as heavy as lead, it should be easy to check them with a gram scale or balance beam, you can eyeball the size pretty close. It should be a no brainer. And if the jig is powder painted it is not so easy to poke with a pin, you don't want to start cracking or chipping the paint off.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:50 PM »
Here are some more pictures.  This first one are what I know are tungsten; I just bought them from Thorne Brothers at the Syracuse Outdoor Show:

These are what I believe are Tungsten, based on the suggestions posted here and my best guess:

Another angle on the same jigs:

These are Hexi Flies and Mud Bug, I believe they are lead.

I don't remember the name of these, they are Custom Jigs and Spins.

Like I said before, all new tungsten will be going into thier own jig box so I won't have this problem again!

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:34 PM »
The mudbugs and hexi flies are not tungsten.  I don't think that the first column of the pics,  the ht marmooskas are tungsten either, but I could be wrong.  The rest look like they are.

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:35 PM »
The cj&s are lead too

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.