Author Topic: generator and power drill auger  (Read 1526 times)

Offline 11yeayoldsDAD

• IceShanty Rookie
generator and power drill auger
« on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:56 PM »
Ok, so I'm new to this. Can't seem to find a power auger that I can afford just yet. I have a hand auger but it doesn't do well on Erie ice.  I've tried the cordless drill route and that was a total failure.  I'm considering bringing my small generator and heavy duty power drill to punch holes through the ice.  Has anyone tried this? Thoughts from the experienced ice fishermen?  I'm really trying here so your input is greatly appreciated.

Offline dropshot

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: generator and power drill auger
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2015, 07:55 PM »
not sure what you mean by "doesnt do well on erie ice"....ice is ice.  i would suggest new blades for your auger you already have or get a better manual auger.  I have a 8" lazer, no new blades, and was going through 12" + of ice in 30seconds.  I can say i have never seen or heard a generator on the ice.
I WANT ICE !!!!!

Offline dadtimmons

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2015, 03:18 AM »
electric and water=SHOCK :o

Offline kayakjoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2015, 11:47 AM »
Try putting 2   12 volt  vexlar batteries together (not in series ) and put and old battery housing on it. If your running an 18 volt dewalt this will feed 24 volts and last up to 30 + holes in 36 " of ice  !! there is a YouTube video ;D showing you how !! works great and last a long time !!! SMALLER THAN A GENERATOR for sure

Offline r3foxx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2015, 03:57 PM »
Take the generator to a pawn shop and trade for a decent cordless drill. The generator drill set up is gonna be more trouble than its worth.
If its a Honda generator I'll trade you a Milwaukee fuel set up for it.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2015, 06:39 PM »
I have a Milwaukee fuel 6" on a clam plate, went thru 20" ice in about 10 seconds,,,, will be getting as 7" for next year, take your time and you can get them thru the hole, pulled two that were 10# maybe 11#, and numerous 4-7# fish thru those holes!! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.