Author Topic: My first shack build!!  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Todd_SD

• IceShanty Rookie
My first shack build!!
« on: Dec 28, 2012, 08:44 PM »
After looking at the site for a while now i thought I would share some pictures of my first shack build.  I bought a a pop-up camper and stripped it down to the frame and built it back up.  Have some work to do to finish up the inside of the shack.

Here is what I picked up.

Tearing it down to the frame

I had a welding shop add a partial V on the front and started to frame it up.

More pictures to follow as i finish up the inside.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: My first shack build!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2012, 09:06 PM »
nice looking so far keep up the good work

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2012, 09:18 PM »
nice work so far. how do you heat it? the v in the front would be a good place for a wall mount heater and run a line out to a lp tank in the holder you have on the front. nice job.

Offline Todd_SD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2012, 09:22 PM »
I am planning on a wall mount heater in the V.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2012, 09:52 PM »
Looks good and welcome to the site.

Offline Todd_SD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:44 PM »
Here are some updated pictures of the inside of the shack.  I have more to do when it warms up but it has been working ok for now.

Heater and 2 burner stove I got from the camper installed in the counter in the front of the V.

I put some dryer vent that runs from the front above the heater to the floor at the rear of the house,  it is amazing how much air this moves and the difference it makes.

Back seat/bed and 2 drawers that were also saved from the camper.

I built the wheel cover on the side away from the drawer to hold the battery and the fuse panel for the lights.

Offline firefighter04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Comming along nicely man!  I'm gonna do the same thing this summer! Looking forward to see the finished product. What did you do for roofing?

Offline Todd_SD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2013, 11:52 PM »
right now i just have plywood on the roof but i am planning on a rubber roof.

Offline mattisjd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2013, 12:02 AM »
Man...that sure looks nice!!! 

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:31 AM »
You did an excellent job!

WS

Offline firefighter04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:46 AM »
I had the same idea I just couldn't figure out how to trim it out against the peaks and valleys of the tin other than an overhang which I didn't really want... What were you thinking to solve mitigate that issue?

Offline lawnguyjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Masshole
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:51 AM »
Nice! Looks really sweet
Newfound (Circus)

Offline perchman4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2013, 01:40 PM »
the shack looks really nice. i seen you had this out on bullhead on sunday. We were the guys with the snowmobile. I was thinking of heading over there to see how you had that thing set up.  I was thinking of building a shack with a pop up camper frame this summer. do you put buckets in the holes since you cant lower the shack on the ice? Oh and this is Dustin.

Offline Todd_SD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:27 PM »
I had the same idea I just couldn't figure out how to trim it out against the peaks and valleys of the tin other than an overhang which I didn't really want... What were you thinking to solve mitigate that issue?

I haven't decided for sure yet but i was thinking of getting some more steel of a different color and cut it into 6" strips and use that as a trim color and a  way to tie down the rubber roof.

Offline Todd_SD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:31 PM »
the shack looks really nice. i seen you had this out on bullhead on sunday. We were the guys with the snowmobile. I was thinking of heading over there to see how you had that thing set up.  I was thinking of building a shack with a pop up camper frame this summer. do you put buckets in the holes since you cant lower the shack on the ice? Oh and this is Dustin.

Stop over next time and take a look.  I got some catch cover sleeves along with the hole covers.  you can see them in the 3rd shot of the inside.  How did you do on Sunday?  We didn't catch anything, had a couple of small walleyes up to the ice but they got off.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:42 AM »
nice looking shack. I was wondering if you beefed up the axel on it at all? by the looks of the tires in the pic the insides are worn pretty good. don't want to see them blow out b/c of the weight.

Offline ice warrior

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:51 AM »
 :thumbsup:Nice job looking real good thanks for showing @)

Offline perchman4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2013, 01:30 PM »
Stop over next time and take a look.  I got some catch cover sleeves along with the hole covers.  you can see them in the 3rd shot of the inside.  How did you do on Sunday?  We didn't catch anything, had a couple of small walleyes up to the ice but they got off.

Oh I see them now. We only caught one walleye about 12 inches long and we had one other bite. We had both of those on tip ups. we didnt even mark a fish in the shack.

Offline Todd_SD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:41 PM »
nice looking shack. I was wondering if you beefed up the axel on it at all? by the looks of the tires in the pic the insides are worn pretty good. don't want to see them blow out b/c of the weight.

I looked into it and after talking to guy at the welding shop he thought that i would be ok.  he said he has seen it before that people load up the camper with to much stuff.  i weighed it after i had it built and it was 1300 lbs.  I have added a battery and the propane tank and a few other things so i think i am still around 1500.  the trailer was rated for 2100 lbs so i think i should be ok.

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2013, 12:04 AM »
Looks good man

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2013, 12:17 AM »
Looks good, I was going to do this but the fiancé wants to use our 18ft camper next season, but something light like this would sure be a lot easier pulling when the snow gets deep.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.