Author Topic: put a stamp on it  (Read 1589 times)

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
put a stamp on it
« on: Dec 06, 2008, 02:59 PM »
used the last weekend before fishing to tighten up and finish the christmas shopping...bought my mom some old postcards from the early 1900's......they are of early displays of our home town of berlin and milan nh.....they should look good in some old frames.....bought the lady a few gift cards, a gift certificate from raymond woods and water for a fishing license, and a pair of joka therm mittens for ice fishing.....i bought her a nice pair of mittens for ice fishing last year, but once the insides get wet they are wet for the day......plus the joka therms are easy to slip on and off for fishing.....jeez...... i have 3 pairs that i bring along and stuff them with handwarmers.....purcha sed my step daughter a new bruins jersey with girard #55 on the back.....i already own two and she always wants to borrow them, but i decided she should get her own....a few years back the bruins had an incrediable defenseman named johnathan girard (maybe a distant cousin) who wore 55......his career was cut short by a motor vehicle accident in canada that left him with a broken neck.....bought a few things for pickeral boy, which will come in handy......also, decided to save a few bucks by sending close friends homemade christmas cards......i printed out fishing pictures of the person receiving the card......the pictures are of old accomplishments they had either on the ice or the open water...should be a merry christmas for all and its nice to know that there will be no racking of the brain for last minute gifts.......see you on the water......the hardwater that is
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: put a stamp on it
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2008, 03:05 PM »
Hey Jibbs, I hope your girl does not monitor this site! LOL!

I have to say that I really enjoyed the time I spent in Berlin. Many of the buildings/nursing homes I was in had pictures of Berlin from way back. There was an old timer that lived up on Derra St (spelling) that had all kinds of great stories for me when we brought him to the hospital. I was able to transfer him once from Berlin to Manch. It is too bad that Berlin has changed so much and the old timers are thinning out. There is some heritage up there that one would have to personally experience to understand. Chief has told me some great stories too!

Anyhow, sorry to hijack. You just got me thinking about what I learned up there!

Offline Marcum Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2008, 03:07 PM »
Very nice of you, hey while your at it I could use a dozen Gill Pills, or a couple of Chubby Darters.. thanks in advance.........MM

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2008, 03:51 PM »
dozen Gill Pills, or a couple of Chubby Darters.......just put them in the mail.....lol......hey duck you are right....there is a lot of heritage up there and some real cool stories that go along with it....i did a sociology paper about 12 to 13 years ago when i was at plymouth and had the luxury of diving into the background of berlin, nh......many, many years ago it was a melting pot of people who were there to work and establish a new life.....many of them straight off the boat looking for a job and a place to lay their bones....as many as 35 to 40 thousand people lived there at one time and now the population has dwindled to under 10, 000.......berlin is also home to a war hero .....michael durant was the black hawk pilot that got shot down in somalia  back in 1993....he was plastered all over the news when they captured him and even made the cover of time.....it's a tough place to live today, but sometimes people like the simple life and the slow pace of time......as for the postcards cards......one is labeled 1906 and is an overview of the whole town with mount jasper as the back drop......the second one is of the old carnagie library, which is still providing books to this day on main street, the third is of st keiran's church and the last one is dated 1901 and it is a picture of the milan village school.....the village school was the one i attended as a child (of course with new modifications), but sat on the same parcel of land that the first school orginated.....its funny....... you look at the postcard and there are probably 30 kids standing out front......i know when i attended  we didn't have much more and that was almost 80 years later.....i had the luxury to go to school with the same 8 or 9 kids for all six years of my attendance.....anyways, enough of the run on, but it was cool to look back on where you came from.......
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2008, 03:59 PM »
hey ranger.....i also found of canaan, nh and the flood of 1886......quite a sight......i will have to show you sometime.......the whole downtown had water up to the second floors

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2008, 04:20 PM »
yeah I remember that me and one of my brothers actually ended up on channel 9 news. They where showing footage of some of the flooded areas and in the background you could see us riding our bikes through the water.
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2008, 04:48 PM »
lol you had a bike in 1886 wait a minute here. how old are you anyway ? :D

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2008, 05:16 PM »
sure he did.....it was one of those old jobbies with the big ole front wheel and the tiny one in the back......josh was telling me about the floods they had a few years back in canaan......sounded nasty

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2008, 05:26 PM »
sure he did.....it was one of those old jobbies with the big ole front wheel and the tiny one in the back......josh was telling me about the floods they had a few years back in canaan......sounded nasty

that was the visual i got when i read it at first ..old school bikes and kids wearing knickers and derby hats .. too funny

Offline Salmon Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish To Live Live to Fish
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2008, 10:15 PM »
Hey Jibbs don't forget your favorite go to guy on that Christmas list LOL.The Ice Auger rack for my Four wheeler was a good start.Hope I get one of those Christmas cards   :tipup:
JIBBS DRILL SOME HOLES

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2008, 06:55 AM »
kid we have to get you a big fish first.........lol..... .....

Offline Salmon Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish To Live Live to Fish
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2008, 07:09 AM »
   Geeeessssh   that 6 pounder wasn't big enough?Guess I am gonna have to find that 8 pounder your looking for LOL. Stay out of the snow today
JIBBS DRILL SOME HOLES

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2008, 07:21 AM »
   Geeeessssh   that 6 pounder wasn't big enough?Guess I am gonna have to find that 8 pounder your looking for LOL. Stay out of the snow today
sure will......i plan on working on my bench....i finally got the stuff for it.....i didn't call you last night to fish, because i think its the right thing to wait one more weekend......the conditions for ice making are pretty good right now......i might head up to the camp thursday night....i am thinking of taking a personal day on friday....i have someone scouting out ice as we speak.......have a good sunday and i will see you at work monday......as for that chunk from kingston.......not good enough.......just kidding......that was an awesome fish and would make one heck of a card......if you guys haven't seen it......this bass weighed 6 lbs 4 ounces and was caught at kingston lake last winter......it was a nasty day with temps in the teens and winds 25 to 35........we hid in the woods eating cookies and drinking coke........here's a look.........

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2008, 07:26 AM »
lol you had a bike in 1886 wait a minute here. how old are you anyway ? :D
Yeah I'm 131 years old. Thats funny when i read the post last night I didn't notice the year was 1886 I thought it said 1986. Canaan floods a lot in the spring time I thought jibbs was talking about a different time. What a dubba ; ??? ??? ;D.
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2008, 07:29 AM »
Yeah I'm 131 years old. Thats funny when i read the post last night I didn't notice the year was 1886 I thought it said 1986. Canaan floods a lot in the spring time I thought jibbs was talking about a different time. What a dubba ; ??? ??? ;D.
i got a chuckle as well......you must of been still feeling the effects of friday night........the picture of 1886 was something.....if you have a chance go to ebay and type in canaan nh postcards......it looked like quite a mess...thanks for setting me up yesterday....give me a call when everything comes in.......jibbs

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.