Author Topic: Some Cusk Questions  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Some Cusk Questions
« on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:34 AM »
I've caught some on my overnight sets, but never anything of decent size. I know the big ones are in there but I'm either unlucky or not doing something right in targeting the big boys. Any help? I read a lot of conflicting info in the Eelpout Forum on here - stinky dead bait say some & others live or fresh cut. Different opinions on depth and bottom type. What's the trick on the big NH lakes like winni? I hear that the spawn is late season and they move shallower for this, but how shallow? I will be setting some traps in a couple weeks. Early season. What is my best approach for then?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Some Cusk Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2015, 11:01 AM »
I like fresh bait better than stinky personally, I've caught them in water as shallow as 2 ft. I prefer rocky bottom
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2015, 12:43 PM »
The trick to larger cusk is finding the right location. I've caught small ones virtually everywhere, but only found a couple spots that will produce anything of size. So, in that regard, I think location is more important than bait type. Those things will eat anything. As far as depth and bottom type, I have my best luck in rocky areas about 15-30 feet deep. But, like I said, they can be found in many different areas. I've caught them in 6 inches of water on tip ups set for trout and as deep as 60 ft. And, my single best day jigging for them was on a sandy bottom.

If all that confused you, I'd suggest starting around those black and white markers that indicate rock piles.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2015, 01:29 PM »
I usually target drop offs. Around rocky and sandy areas that drop off deep.

I dont think depth really matters nor bait, they eat anything and swim from deep water to shallow looking for food at dusk to dawn, then back to the deep after sunrise.
That being said, I have jigged them up during the morning hours by Rattle Snake Island too.

Good luck!

Offline IceGrizz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2015, 03:35 PM »
I'm liking this feed a lot.... I've been ice fishing for about 18 yrs (I'm 36 and from KY, I got late start) I've been setting cusk lines for about three years and have yet to catch one.
My goal is to catch one. I only want one, just to say I've done it. Haha

Great feed, great people, great info. Thanks!
Live until you die.
Flag's up!!
Line's tight!

Offline South_Texas70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:40 PM »
I'm liking this feed a lot.... I've been ice fishing for about 18 yrs (I'm 36 and from KY, I got late start) I've been setting cusk lines for about three years and have yet to catch one.

IceGrizz, once you hook one, it's over....you are the one that will be hooked!! Hands down the best fish I have ever eaten. I caught a few last year and become obsessed with the "poor man's lobster"! Truth be told, my wife made me get out there and set my lines because she wanted more. She even ran a few lines herself. Good luck.
Tex :tipup:

Offline IceGrizz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:50 PM »
IceGrizz, once you hook one, it's over....you are the one that will be hooked!! Hands down the best fish I have ever eaten. I caught a few last year and become obsessed with the "poor man's lobster"! Truth be told, my wife made me get out there and set my lines because she wanted more. She even ran a few lines herself. Good luck.
I've heard they're amazing in chowders. Can't wait to land one these guys!
Live until you die.
Flag's up!!
Line's tight!

Offline airplanejig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:58 PM »

Get a perch  cut the  spiny dorsal fin off  cut the  perch in half  so its guts are hanging out  hook it thru the head drop it down If there is acusk anywhere neareby  he will swallow it for sure  They also love  crawfish tails   just my experiences with them  good luck  get the fry pan ready
May your flags never have the bends

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2015, 05:00 PM »
   Get a perch  cut the  spiny dorsal fin off  cut the  perch in half  so its guts are hanging out  hook it thru the head drop it down If there is acusk anywhere neareby  he will swallow it for sure  They also love  crawfish tails   just my experiences with them  good luck  get the fry pan ready

Do not do this is NH, always check rule books. Perch are illegal bait here

Offline Maineiac2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2015, 05:41 PM »
I like live bait the best,the bigger the better.rocky bottom close to deep water.I check my lines about every hour and jig in between.

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2015, 05:57 PM »
Do not do this is NH, always check rule books. Perch are illegal bait here
Illegal live bait. Not dead. I thought the same thing but was told they were o.k. by a warden during the derby a few years back.

Offline NovaCovah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2015, 06:16 PM »
The comments on the poor man's lobster cracks me up.  Myself and two friends who are all commercial lobstermen get obsessed with the "freshwater" cusk during ice fishing.  To put it in perspective - in the summer, the price paid to us for a dinner worth of lobster is less money than to feed the family grilled hotdogs with the all the sides and condiments.  I have gone and targeted cusk on overnight trips in the spring - kind of the off season for lobstering myself.  Table fare - you will be addicted too as anyone I serve it to says it is the best fresh water fish they have eaten (not my personal opinion though as I really like walleye, crappie and perch for a fry - but that's just me)  I do really enjoy them in a broil bowl with butter and ritz cracker crumbs.  Take the above posted advise and be persistent and you will succeed.  My best success was when I went all night and checked every 30 minutes but plenty of success checking at sunrise only in the past.  My kids really get a charge out of checking the traps when scheduling allows for them to set some in the afternoon and check them in the morning.  Also have heard jigging can be very productive but have only been moderately successful myself at that approach.

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2015, 06:54 PM »

Illegal live bait. Not dead. I thought the same thing but was told they were o.k. by a warden during the derby a few years back.

;) ;) ;) ;D

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:04 PM »
While we're on the topic of bait -- again I don't think it matters too much (they're basically garbage disposals), they do eat a lot of crayfish. I'd say 75% of every cusk I've cleaned has a crayfish in its stomach. Never tried them for bait because they're not easy to come by in the winter, but they do appear to be their one of their primary food sources.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:29 PM »

Good to know

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2015, 08:42 PM »
Good to know
You should check each specific lake for special regs though. Some lakes don't allow perch for bait dead or alive.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:09 PM »
You should check each specific lake for special regs though. Some lakes don't allow perch for bait dead or alive.
Didn't know this?
Wonder why a dead perch would make a difference to a lake?
Also.. never noticed that in Special rules section, but wasn't looking for it either. 

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:11 PM »
Didn't know this?
Wonder why a dead perch would make a difference to a lake?
Also.. never noticed that in Special rules section, but wasn't looking for it either.
Lake Francis or one of the Ct. Lakes don't allow yellow perch, dead or alive for bait. I guess you can never be to careful.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:18 PM »
Lake Francis or one of the Ct. Lakes don't allow yellow perch, dead or alive for bait. I guess you can never be to careful.
Agreed!  :)
I did find this in the NH / ME border waters but you can't take cusk either, so relative to this thread, it would be a moot point.

Ice Fishing Restrictions (NH • ME

It is unlawful to:
•Use more than five (5) lines; except on Great East Lake where no more than two (2) lines can be used.
•Take, sell or possess for use as bait any of the following fish, dead or living—pickerel, goldfish, yellow perch, white perch, bass, sunfish, crappie, horned pout, carp or any spiny-finned fish;
•Take salmon or cusk.

FWIW, the open water restriction is pretty much the same thing as above in regards to bait.

It's a good heads up regardless BS.

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2015, 02:54 AM »
While we're on the topic of bait -- again I don't think it matters too much (they're basically garbage disposals), they do eat a lot of crayfish. I'd say 75% of every cusk I've cleaned has a crayfish in its stomach. Never tried them for bait because they're not easy to come by in the winter, but they do appear to be their one of their primary food sources.
I've never had luck using crayfish. Live, dead, rotten it didn't matter. Best I've found is Creek Chub slightly tainted. Killer cusk bait.

Offline JRFlatlander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2015, 02:43 PM »
I think location is much more important than the bait used.   Most of the time your fishing a bigger lake while looking for them.  Big lake more water to cover.  With a machine and good ice you can cover some ground.   My advice if you have a machine to get around would be do some test sets.  Don't group your lines together but spread them way out and cover some water.  If you get something decent on one of them then move more to that area.   With that said I have always done better catching them on the jig stick fishing for lake trout.  They love a buck tail with meat.  Every year I get one over 4 pounds with my jig pole.  Last year I got one on a PK lure mid day so you never really know. Alton bay has always produced well for me.  Not sure if it's all the people and all the bait and chum they use but it holds a lot of cusk.  Just from  sandy point back to the gazebo too.   It wouldn't be my ideal spot but it has easy access and holds fish.  I  prefer main lake spots with real deep water near by.   Hope that helps Good luck!!!
[

Mama Says happiness is from magic rays of sunshine that come down when you're feeling blue.......

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2015, 04:54 PM »
Thanks all! As usual. And yes it does help. Not having a machine yet doesn't help me, but that's my problem. I'll keep doing what I've been doing and maybe try tweaking a few things. I've gotten into them, just no biggies. Yet. Maybe just a luck thing. Sooner or later...

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:28 PM »
Yellow perch are like snickers bars to cusk!

Offline Altonbayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • of all liars; fisherman are the most trustworthy.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:45 PM »
I agree, the larger cusk tend to be in the rocks near some deep water. If you find them, start jigging, chumming, and making some noise bouncing bottom while dispersing your baits scent. I often pull a few+ out of the same hole in less than an hour. Usually tie on a rattling jig w minnow.

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2015, 08:55 PM »
I target drop offs. String my line of rigs down the hill. Cut sucker I use most often. I like tip up suckers also but too expensive. Giant shiners I use too. I figure they fight the short line and stir the mud up. Activity is good bait.
I fished cusk lines on my overnights for YEARS before I caught a single one. Now I do pretty good. Def my fav fish.

Offline NEK_VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:10 PM »
I caught a large one at 140 fow and my buddy caught a very large one that same night at 30 fow. I think persistence is what gets you the bigger ones. We made 4 trips targeting burbot and mostly caught smaller ones.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.