Author Topic: Sebago Derby this weekend  (Read 2601 times)

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sebago Derby this weekend
« on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:51 AM »
Anyone else going? Team NH will be represented by the Smells Like Fish crew....

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sebago Derby this weekend
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:53 AM »
Really wish I could swing it.. Great lake to fish. Fishable structure all over that lake. 100 grand for a state record Laker would hit the spot too!
Goodluck!
Jig em up!

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:49 AM »

Uh oh.

Nah, just kidding! Make us proud guys! Is Brady going too?
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2014, 10:23 AM »

I didnt get the invite....  :-\

;D ;D ;D

Good luck boys!  Hammer the togue!!

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:39 AM »
Uh oh.

Nah, just kidding! Make us proud guys! Is Brady going too?

If he was we know we would win something! ;-)

3 days is too much for a 9yr old....

Offline winnisquamtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2014, 03:49 PM »
might be making the trip that 100k is tempting

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2014, 03:54 PM »
I'll give my go to 'maybe next year'. I really want to make it up sometime. Good luck out there!

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:16 PM »
im out of work thursday at 6am...and go back Monday..I just might make it happen on my end!
Henry

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Jordon bay is the Meredith bay of that derby. I'm sure you have a secret spot to go to Scott?! Good luck out there and be safe. From what I got from my cousin, most if not all of it is locked up.

Pat
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:57 PM »
won't be making it but looking forward to your derby updates!!!!

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2014, 07:52 AM »
This snow is going to make it a bit of a challenege for sure....PDubs IS going to join big Jim and I so that will be good to get out and fish with him, just hope we can get around on the ice.

Pat I have been there a few times now for the derby.....right up near Raymond beach it is just like Meredith, minus the helicopter rides, as you head down the bay it gets quieter and quieter...We will be down the bay near Frye Island, if we can get there!!! damn you snow!!!

Henry, you know what to do if you are there, just call me.

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:24 AM »
...and that is how you weasel yourself onto an experienced togue team!!!   ;D ;D ;D  Thanks Scott & Jim!  I'm really looking forward to it!  Hope the snow is on the lighter side of all predictions and we can get around on the ATVS...  hate to spend the weekend frying up bait-smelt back at the hotel!!!    :'(

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:56 AM »
LOL!!!

Offline bigtrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2014, 12:01 PM »
our crew will be going!!  ;D

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2014, 12:49 PM »
Kind of strange how its done up there with the slot limits on togue. I guess the derby is run to accommodate to those slot limits.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2014, 03:22 PM »
our crew will be going!!  ;D

Nice! Good luck, I'll post updates as we go....

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2014, 03:26 PM »
Kind of strange how its done up there with the slot limits on togue. I guess the derby is run to accommodate to those slot limits.

That's a new state law Pat, has nothing to do with the derby, they just have to deal with it in their derby rules now....my take on it is they want to make it a trophy lake trout lake eventually...salmon are dinky and small just like at Winni, so I think they want to focus on giving the fisherman something big to catch besides pike in that lake.

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:23 PM »
Hey Scott,

Just read this in the ME board. Wanted to give you the heads up.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=285078.0

I was in ME last week (not Sebago) and the fishing was unreal. Good luck.

sul

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:30 PM »
Thanks Sul,
As much as I would like to fish the big bay, I don't plan on heading out that way...hoping to hit some humps and ledges I've identified as long as the machines can get us to them.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:46 PM »
That's a new state law Pat, has nothing to do with the derby, they just have to deal with it in their derby rules now....my take on it is they want to make it a trophy lake trout lake eventually...salmon are dinky and small just like at Winni, so I think they want to focus on giving the fisherman something big to catch besides pike in that lake.

Well, I know there's some hogs in there already. And you always seem to find them Scott. Best of luck to you guys this weekend. Look forward to the report. Should be a good one.

Pat

Offline FishEnticer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2014, 06:32 PM »
Scott sounds a little sketchy in some areas.  Good luck and be safe.  :icefish:

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Scott,
 Congratulations to your son for his awesome fish. He must have been thrilled. He has an excellent mentor. I fished with Woody this weekend. I got a 27 inch pickerel that weighed 3.69 lb. Looked like a gar. Lol

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Thats awesome Joe, and Thank you!!! If we hadn't had such a good day on Saturday we were gonna head over near Woodys on Sunday but decided to stay where we were.

Did the Pickerel make the board?

Offline BHardy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Good luck up there, hope you can get outa the wind, that bowl of a lake gets nasty sometimes.  My uncle used to joke that a fellow could fart on the western shore only for it to turn into a 7 foot whitecap by the time it reached the far side  :)    I should be driving by the standish area around 4 a.m., on my way up to Island Falls for the salmon derby.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:08 PM »
Good luck up there, hope you can get outa the wind, that bowl of a lake gets nasty sometimes.  My uncle used to joke that a fellow could fart on the western shore only for it to turn into a 7 foot whitecap by the time it reached the far side  :)    I should be driving by the standish area around 4 a.m., on my way up to Island Falls for the salmon derby.

Good luck up there Brad. Was wondering if you were still vertical. Have a good trip.

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Thats awesome Joe, and Thank you!!! If we hadn't had such a good day on Saturday we were gonna head over near Woodys on Sunday but decided to stay where we were.

Did the Pickerel make the board?
2nd til around 3:30 then got pushed off. Nice to go over to the board to check things out

Offline BHardy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:21 PM »
Good luck up there Brad. Was wondering if you were still vertical. Have a good trip.

Oh I've been having a great winter so far, been mostly bringing the kiddo out a bunch to slay some perch and almost 1k miles on the sled so far this year.  Looking forward to ripping out another 300-400 this weekend, doesn't take long up in The County.

Offline bennyp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Ill be making the trip up. Anyone heard ice thickness on big bay? I read the report from the fly over last week but.
HRDWATR

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:44 AM »
Ive seen lots of reports, its totally iced over but variable thickness.....i wouldnt go bombing out there without checking as you go and seeig what you have under you. I'll be staying in the raymond bay area somewhere between Standish and Raymond Beach lol

Offline bennyp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2014, 04:27 PM »
Whats the parking like up there? Planning on trailering my machine. Is there alot of parking or should I plan on getting there early to get a spot?
HRDWATR

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.