New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Dogs and foot issues on the ice  (Read 4769 times)

Offline bigfish1556

• IceShanty Rookie
Dogs and foot issues on the ice
« on: Mar 09, 2006, 09:47 AM »
Probably something similar on the shanty here somewhere, but had a question  - I often times take my lab (best fishing buddy and hard working birder) out on the ice with me to get her some running/exercise in her off-season. On the real cold days (19F or less), I often put dog boots on her paws to avoid problems associated with the cold and frostbite.  Has anyone else had dogs develop frostbite and/or cut pads while on the ice ???  A fellow shantier was busting my nuts for pampering my pooch (believe part of the response was, to paraphrase: she's a DOG - how do you think huskies get pull dogsleds in winter in Alaska, they don't wear booties) - but I value her as a working dog and companion and believe I am simply doing my part to keep her safe and healthy. I'm guessing this person busting me on this probably has a mangy mongrel (no fault of its own) chained to a blocked up rusty truck in his yard year round with an inadequately insulated dog house too boot. But that's just a guess.

My thoughts - 1. She's not a husky, coyote, or wolf.  2. Being on the ice/slush (wet, uninsulated and sharp) is different than running in the snow (I've had no problems with her in the snow bootless).  and 3. I do believe I've seen a LOT of dog boots during the Iditarod.

Thoughts?

Offline jdjyoung

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get the gaf, I'm catching this one!
Re: Dogs and foot issues on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2006, 10:06 AM »
  Hey bigfish,
   Got a 9yr. old yellow lab myself. Best friend a man can have! If the boots work, use em. If someone breaks your balls, screw em. Obviously they don"t have a pet that"s worth a sh&t. I"m in the process of forking out over five hundred $$ to have an ACL ligament repaired on my lab. My theory is " ya gotta do what ya gotta do"
 Keep taking that dog and doing what you"re doing.

JD
" I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day at work anytime!"

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2006, 10:16 AM »
I agree!!! If your out there for any extended period of time the pooch needs some sort of protection. not to mention all the crap that some people leave on the ice  ex. broken bottles, hooks,garbage,tin cans etc...   .Stay On Top, Utes

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2006, 10:25 AM »
I have them for my dog but seems that he hasn't got any traction. I think he'll mess up his hip or something! Don't use them anymore.
JACK OF ALL SPECIES, MASTER OF NONE!

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2006, 10:26 AM »
If they work and it keeps you dog healthy and happy use them. Who cares what other people think.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2006, 10:29 AM »
My 5 year old Yellow Lab is my best bud too. She hasn't been on the ice for fear of her slipping and tearing something in her legs/ hips maybe that's overboard but hey, she's my pal right? ;)

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2006, 10:46 AM »
Had a springer spaniel 9 yrs old just put her down (bad back) She loved here neoprene boots and they would keep the ice from balling up on the hair between her toes.
She would stop hunting to bite them out.
Also if ya even saw a dog with a hunting vest for pretection? Look at the battle scars on the vest and imagine all the vet bills ya saved and pain to the dog.
One last note, if ya get em the neoprene vest it can aid them in floating if they even go thru.
Better than trying to resuce them yourself and putting you in a dangerous spot.
Hey my dog was better behaved than my kids somethings, LOVE THEM BOTH!

PS the pads are one of the easiest places for a dog to get a injury, NEVER RUN THEM ON CONCRETE FOR long periods of time.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

PIKEGUY

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2006, 10:52 AM »
The vests are great! Lots of added protection from sawgrass, sticks, briars brambles you name it. One thing that I love about the vests is it gives you the ability to pick the dog up by it if necessary. ie, dog fell out of boat or you had to do a boat rescue. Way easier to grab the dog with a vest on. I wish there was something to do for their nose and muzzle to protect them, but when the nose is a critical part... you know.

Offline Mike Pike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2006, 11:17 AM »
Put the boots on .

Yes the sled dogs do use them. Next person who yanks your chain about dog booties Tell'em to run 1 minute on the ice w/o their socks & boots.

100's of booties were donated to the 4 footed rescueworkers of 9/11

Mike

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2006, 11:19 AM »
they got boots for them
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline ladyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2006, 11:23 AM »
my yellow lab is going on 7 yrs.  about a month ago i spent big bucks on her ear.  had to have it flushed, done under anesthesia.  ended up she had a hole in her eardrum,  is healing just fine now..  in the summer we can't keep her out of the water.  she is strickly a basic house dog.  in the summer when it gets cool at night, while we are in the boat fishing,  we put a neoprene vest on her.  she loves it.  she has a raincoat that we use in the winter if we take her ice fishing and it is alittle slushy on the ice.  her feet kept kicking the wetness on her underside and she would shiver.  we use the booties on her in the spring to keep all the mud out of the house.  she is also better behaved than the kids are.  she is our big baby, and isn't really aware that she is a dog......just a hairy kid.

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2006, 11:25 AM »
Probably something similar on the shanty here somewhere, but had a question  - I often times take my lab (best fishing buddy and hard working birder) out on the ice with me to get her some running/exercise in her off-season. On the real cold days (19F or less), I often put dog boots on her paws to avoid problems associated with the cold and frostbite.  Has anyone else had dogs develop frostbite and/or cut pads while on the ice ???  A fellow shantier was busting my nuts for pampering my pooch (believe part of the response was, to paraphrase: she's a DOG - how do you think huskies get pull dogsleds in winter in Alaska, they don't wear booties) - but I value her as a working dog and companion and believe I am simply doing my part to keep her safe and healthy. I'm guessing this person busting me on this probably has a mangy mongrel (no fault of its own) chained to a blocked up rusty truck in his yard year round with an inadequately insulated dog house too boot. But that's just a guess.

My thoughts - 1. She's not a husky, coyote, or wolf.  2. Being on the ice/slush (wet, uninsulated and sharp) is different than running in the snow (I've had no problems with her in the snow bootless).  and 3. I do believe I've seen a LOT of dog boots during the Iditarod.

Thoughts?
    My dog is very important to me. Not just because he was expensive, but after 7 years of faithfull retriever duty and making some unbelievable retrieves, he is also my good buddy and friend. I will take care of him just as I would my kids.
     You are right though about the boots for ther dogs. My buddy in Alaska just sent me some pictures from the yukon sled race and all the dogs had boots on. Dont worry about what anybody el;se says about how you take care of your dog, just do it and he will take care of you. Real dog owners know that to be true.
      By the way, I have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, My wife has a black Lab.  Talk later,
                                                                                                                    JK

PIKEGUY

« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2006, 11:31 AM »

Offline fish boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2006, 11:37 AM »
ok so your dog is important to you then why don't you condition him/her to the outdoors.  Put em up on concrete so they're pads are tuff and if they are in danger of freezing leave em home?  I have a dog he's very important to me. So much so that I won't subject him to dagerous situations in which he might get hurt/frozen/drowned.  He's a dog! Yeah it was me, say what you like if you treat your dog like a human i.e. inside all the time feed em treats till they are pudgy and let him sleep on the couch thats fine just don't expect him to be an animal conditioned to be out in the cold and when its cold leave him home.  My thoughts are you just couldn't deal with the guilt of goin fishin and leaving the pooch at home and looking into those big lab eyes made you feel guilty.  By the way you even said she kicked off the boots right away.  Walk her more and she'll be better off, and so will you.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2006, 11:43 AM »
ok so your dog is important to you then why don't you condition him/her to the outdoors.  Put em up on concrete so they're pads are tuff and if they are in danger of freezing leave em home?  I have a dog he's very important to me. So much so that I won't subject him to dagerous situations in which he might get hurt/frozen/drowned.  He's a dog! Yeah it was me, say what you like if you treat your dog like a human i.e. inside all the time feed em treats till they are pudgy and let him sleep on the couch thats fine just don't expect him to be an animal conditioned to be out in the cold and when its cold leave him home.  My thoughts are you just couldn't deal with the guilt of goin fishin and leaving the pooch at home and looking into those big lab eyes made you feel guilty.  By the way you even said she kicked off the boots right away.  Walk her more and she'll be better off, and so will you.

Who the hell asked you  ::)   lol

Offline fish boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2006, 11:53 AM »
Its a free country and I'm over 21.  You don't have to ask but when ya put it out there I'm free to comment on it just like you are. :)

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2006, 12:19 PM »

Contrary to what some people believe, "toughening up" a dogs pads by running them on concrete and asphalt will actually make the pads MORE susceptible to cracking and tearing, and will also give them LESS traction on ice. 

So you have a couple options.  First, you could use the boots.  But it appears your dog likes them about as much as mine did.  He would kick them off as soon as he had the chance, and then I was searching for them.  I'm sure that if I were more persistant, I could get him used to using them, but I decided to go with option 2.  I talked with my vet about it, and he said proper care will do just as much as the boots will, and my dog won't run like he's constantly trying to jump over his own feet.  So he recommended that I keep the hair between the toes trimmed as short as possible so that the hair will not wick moisture up into the soft tissue and freeze there, and to apply a quality paw wax.  The paw wax keeps his paws soft and pliable so they are less likely to crack or split, and he has much better traction on both ice and on slimy rocks than he did before.

dwayne

« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2006, 01:54 PM »
Contrary to what some people believe, "toughening up" a dogs pads by running them on concrete and asphalt will actually make the pads MORE susceptible to cracking and tearing, and will also give them LESS traction on ice. 

So you have a couple options.  First, you could use the boots.  But it appears your dog likes them about as much as mine did.  He would kick them off as soon as he had the chance, and then I was searching for them.  I'm sure that if I were more persistant, I could get him used to using them, but I decided to go with option 2.  I talked with my vet about it, and he said proper care will do just as much as the boots will, and my dog won't run like he's constantly trying to jump over his own feet.  So he recommended that I keep the hair between the toes trimmed as short as possible so that the hair will not wick moisture up into the soft tissue and freeze there, and to apply a quality paw wax.  The paw wax keeps his paws soft and pliable so they are less likely to crack or split, and he has much better traction on both ice and on slimy rocks than he did before.

I have a 5 year old Golden and you are so correct about keeping the hair trimmed.  As long as I keep her pad hair trimmed down she is fine.  If it grows out she gets ice build ups on her paw pads and she gets uncomfortable.  As far as boots, I've never tried them, I fear there is a traction problem with them.  One thing I have learned is if the ice is smooth with no snow on it, it is best to leave them home.  She has taken a few nasty falls on it when she was younger and I figure it is safer to bring her out when she has a snow pack to play on.  A blown out hip is not only expensive for us but it is painful for them.

Offline fish boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2006, 01:56 PM »
fish boy, your the nut buster? Speak your piece.
 Yep tha'd be me .  I did and my point really is that for a hunting dog there should be no off season.  and I have hunted with several labs and chessies.  most of the Lab owners I have been around baby there dogs aweful then wonder why they can't take a tough day in the bilnd or the field.  Its really hard on em when they sleep on the couch all year long and then go out in real cold or bad weather in say a field hunt all day or whatever.  All my friends have either lost or had to stop hunting there labs way too soon cause they never conditioned them to be outside except to go out and poop.  I never said to run them on concrete, i said if you're gonna take them somewwhere harsh, let them live on concrete or brick or something firm outside that will condition, not just toughen them to have good healthy pads and bodies as well as coats, and run them often whereever, just outside.  Then they're bodies and feet and whatever else won't be shocked or frozen cause they are used to it.  and if its really bad/cold/slushy leave em home.  They will still want to see you when you get back.  Always bugs me when people treat dogs like they are human. They are not, they lick they're butts, eat cat crap and roll in dead stuff for fun.  They're dogs !  apparently I'm b*tchy today  And tommyboy please don't insult me i didn't insult you.  And I apologize for jumping into Big fishes Sh*t.  
Stick a fork in me

PIKEGUY

« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2006, 01:58 PM »
they lick they're butts, eat cat crap and roll in dead stuff for fun.  They're dogs !

:roflmao: :roflmao: That pretty much sums mine up ;D

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2006, 02:11 PM »
Hey, I tried to modify my post removed instead. no matter we all get a little b*tchy. I myself felt a little b*tchy until the cuse just beat uconn. now I feel better. :) Not to get off the subject.
JACK OF ALL SPECIES, MASTER OF NONE!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2006, 02:35 PM »
LOL Dogs have made it all these years without boots and they were wild animals before they became domesticated you think mother nature had a boot store out there in the woods for when winter came around LOL I wonder if there were any sales  :D this maybe the most ridiculously funny thread I have read yet.. Boots FOR DOGS!!!!! LOL I had this siberian husky that got ticked off if you left him inside during the winter he would stay outside all night long -10 he didn't care.. Guy next store has got a Black lab that was thrashing around in the creek the other day chasing berganzers it was like 20 degrees out. Boots for dogs what is this world coming too..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2006, 04:29 PM »

I have an idea, Why dont we condition people  to go out in freezing cold water and bring a duck back in your mouth. Maybe then you can appreciate your dog.
                                                             JK

Offline ANGLER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2006, 04:49 PM »

;D

Pampering your dog is bad?!? I take my ole girl (rott/spaniel) mix everywhere.  I don't think she'd let me leave for fishing without her...she's short haired .
She gets a chill on the very cold days,, I have a shanty i take with me and her blanket  ;D treats/water/food .  I have booties for her but she will not wear them. she gets frustrated from sliding on the ice in them. she comes over and will cry and whine untill i remove them.  She lets me know when she's cold and wants her palace (shanty) put up and the heater going, I find them best thing is to run her for a minute or two before we head onto the ice, she tends to be less wanting to run and stays within 15 to 20 yards at all times. I think the running is where they get sliced up or if she's pulling a load. I don't use her to pull any gear though.  10 years on the ice.... she's cut herself once. she stepped on a torn soda can someone ripped up on the ice and a sliver of it went into her toes....

I don't think you can respect an animal too much.... My dog indicates when a friggen flag springs 40 yards away from shanty.. She keeps the birds off my catch when i don't know they are sneaking around the shanty looking for free food. There's so many helpfull things she does for me and untrained that i feel it's the affection and respect i give her.

Best advice.... treat your dog how you want to. I just find treating mine as i'd wanna be treated has worked for 4 dogs that don't disobey  ;D

Angler

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2006, 05:44 PM »
Its a free country and I'm over 21.  You don't have to ask but when ya put it out there I'm free to comment on it just like you are. :)
Yes you did and pointed out the kind of person you are.  ;) ;)

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 09, 2006, 06:38 PM »
ok so your dog is important to you then why don't you condition him/her to the outdoors.  Put em up on concrete so they're pads are tuff and if they are in danger of freezing leave em home?  I have a dog he's very important to me. So much so that I won't subject him to dagerous situations in which he might get hurt/frozen/drowned.  He's a dog! Yeah it was me, say what you like if you treat your dog like a human i.e. inside all the time feed em treats till they are pudgy and let him sleep on the couch thats fine just don't expect him to be an animal conditioned to be out in the cold and when its cold leave him home.  My thoughts are you just couldn't deal with the guilt of goin fishin and leaving the pooch at home and looking into those big lab eyes made you feel guilty.  By the way you even said she kicked off the boots right away.  Walk her more and she'll be better off, and so will you.

Do you sleep on concrete to toughen yourself up??   

Lemme see, if you don't put a dog in a situation where he could get hurt/frozen/drowned....you must never take him out of your house, so why make him sleep on concrete?? 

>>Walk her more and she'll be better off, and so will you...here's an idea...try interacting with people on a less harsh note..you'll be better off and so will we....  I'm over 21 also....you laid it out there, remember????   Esox

Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline fish boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 09, 2006, 08:58 PM »
jeffcrow    he loves water even frigid water because he's a dog not a human

esox     where in my post does it read sleep on concrete?  an outside kennel with a concrete floor and a doghouse are what a dog needs.  Especially if your gonna take him out in harsh conditions.  Please don't put things in my posts that are not there.  and no i don't live on concrete I'm a human not a dog.  You know, opposable thumbs, deductive reasoning, ability to drive a car, tie my shoes, don't go around sniffing other human's butts, don't eat cat poop.    ;)

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 09, 2006, 09:03 PM »
It doesn't say anything in your posts about sleeping on concrete..I asked you a question, thats all.  I don't see where I "put" anything into any of your posts.....perhaps you can show me.....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 10, 2006, 06:33 AM »
jeffcrow    he loves water even frigid water because he's a dog not a human

esox     where in my post does it read sleep on concrete?  an outside kennel with a concrete floor and a doghouse are what a dog needs.  Especially if your gonna take him out in harsh conditions.  Please don't put things in my posts that are not there.  and no i don't live on concrete I'm a human not a dog.  You know, opposable thumbs, deductive reasoning, ability to drive a car, tie my shoes, don't go around sniffing other human's butts, don't eat cat poop.    ;)
     My dog is kenneled outside, that doesnt mean he is treated without the respect he deserves. Sleeping on concrete could be part of your conditioning, that is the way you think, and my name is jeff Krow. You did say put him up on concrete, What does that mean exactly, if not have him sleep on it. To me it means house him on concrete.
     Sure, my dog doesn't drive a car but then again he doesn't drink and drive either, he doesn't tie shoes but then agasin he doesn't have shoes and that is what this threat is about. I see you wear shoes, but you think it would be wrong for a dog to wear shoes in certain situations?? Doesnt mean we are treating the dog like a human, it means we are treating the dog humanely.
                                 JK

hali-man

« Reply #29 on: Mar 10, 2006, 07:47 AM »
Doesnt mean we are treating the dog like a human, it means we are treating the dog humanely.
Very true and very well said.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.