The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: OT Maple Taps  (Read 156721 times)

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
Re: OT Maple Taps
« Reply #300 on: Mar 25, 2011, 11:03 AM »
I can't believe how well the sap is still running.   I'm already at my storage limit with two more days of collecting before I have time to boil...  I also just discovered that I can use my homebrew hydrometer to figure out the sap's sugar content.  I have mostly swamp maple so I'm doing well to stay around two percent.  Oh well, still tastes good to me.  ;D  Wish I had one to tell me when my syrups done though.  Pretty sure I overcooked the last batch thanks to a candy thermometer that goes between 200 and 225 degrees in less than 1/4 inch.  :-\  How did you like using yours, gamefisher?  Worth the $$?  Here's a picture of some of the last batch.  Good luck to everyone!  (Especially you, MaineFishah!! :o )

Offline Teleskiah

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Square Lake Brookie
« Reply #301 on: Mar 25, 2011, 12:55 PM »
That is some gorgeous syrup!

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #302 on: Mar 25, 2011, 03:30 PM »
yeah...i'm thinking i might have to either A filter mine better or B buy a finer filter cause mine does not look like that!  it looks like motor oil in the jar, tastes wonderful with no crytalization or anything...you just cant see through the jar looking at it towards the light. 

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #303 on: Mar 26, 2011, 06:04 PM »
I can't believe how well the sap is still running.   I'm already at my storage limit with two more days of collecting before I have time to boil...  I also just discovered that I can use my homebrew hydrometer to figure out the sap's sugar content.  I have mostly swamp maple so I'm doing well to stay around two percent.  Oh well, still tastes good to me.  ;D  Wish I had one to tell me when my syrups done though.  Pretty sure I overcooked the last batch thanks to a candy thermometer that goes between 200 and 225 degrees in less than 1/4 inch.  :-\  How did you like using yours, gamefisher?  Worth the $$?  Here's a picture of some of the last batch.  Good luck to everyone!  (Especially you, MaineFishah!! :o )

(Image removed from quote.)

Ryan - you've been holding out, you are a maple pro!  Great looking stuff! @)

I'm just glad there is no zoning here! ;D  Wind was so strong, had to come up with something...wife was pretty impressed when she got home. ;D

I was so far behind on sap I took yesterday off and drove off about 40 gallons.  I finished today, doing it a different way and all I can say is wow, best batch I've ever bottled.

3.5 quarts of some really good looking stuff.  What i did differently was broke down and bought a wool filter (w/pre-filter)and filtered off the big pan last night.  Let it sit overnight in a stock pot and finished off outside on propane this morning and then repeated filtering process into a smaller pot.  Brought it inside and bottled at 190 degrees, done. @)

For comparison, the middle quart was from the first batch was just a pre-filter at bottling.

I was happy with it but no comparison.

I would totally suggest the $20 for the hydrometer Ryan.  The filter is nice as well but your setup looks to be producing well.  I use a turkey friar therm. to get me close.  Prior to finishing, I put the therm in boiling water to see what it reads for that day.  (believe it or not, it changes)  I then know when I get to 7 degrees above that number I'm close to syrup and check with the hydrometer.  The beauty part about doing it this way is it doesn't matter if your particular therm. said boiling was 250, just go 7 beyond.

The hydrometer takes out all the guesswork, I would have said my batch this morning wasn't syrup yet but trust it. 

I'm well over 100 gal. of sap now for the season, looks good still all next week.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #304 on: Mar 26, 2011, 08:52 PM »
Pretty nice. A long time ago my brother got a few taps at auction and tapped a couple birch and a big apricot tree.
Definitely not maple but sweet. I need to get some sirup bought.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #305 on: Mar 26, 2011, 10:48 PM »
I've been cooking since 4 this afternoon, I don't know if the last 3 buckets might have to wait till morning, boiled 35 gallons so far, the cold air is really helping it work tonight. @)
How they biten

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #306 on: Mar 27, 2011, 06:33 AM »
I've been cooking since 4 this afternoon, I don't know if the last 3 buckets might have to wait till morning, boiled 35 gallons so far, the cold air is really helping it work tonight. @)

Hope you hung in there Iain, makes for a long day this sap stuff. ;D  I've got about another 30 gallons to get started on but after just stepping outside, think I'll wait a bit!  Brrrr. 

Went to Bacon's yesterday afternoon, they were hopping for Maine Maple weekend. @)

Offline FishUndertaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #307 on: Mar 27, 2011, 07:30 AM »
Ryan - you've been holding out, you are a maple pro!  Great looking stuff! @)

I'm just glad there is no zoning here! ;D  Wind was so strong, had to come up with something...wife was pretty impressed when she got home. ;D
(Image removed from quote.)

Eric you better be glad you have the neighbors you do cause that looks trailer park esq....but as long as it work I'll try to keep the Portages man-o-war off your Back!!! :roflmao:

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #308 on: Mar 27, 2011, 07:57 AM »
time to get back at it. 3 buckets and I'll be caught up. Glad it didn't run much yesterday.@)
How they biten

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #309 on: Mar 27, 2011, 10:44 AM »
I'm spending today boiling down my last 50 gallons. I decided to stick in there with propane and borrowed my father in laws cooker and have been preheating my sap in a canner on the stove to help speed it along. Yesterday we boiled down about 70 gallons and finished it this morning in the house. The extra cooker and preheating has made a huge difference in the amount of sap boiled and propane used. When finishing the syrup this morning I added the 4 pints I had already canned because I wanted to try and get rid of the sediment but to no avail. I filtered my sap through a towel when I collected it, then through a cone filter twice after it was finished. The first time as soon as I take it off of the heat and the second time at about 190 degrees before I can it. I still have a little sediment forming on the bottom. It looks like a wool filter will be in my future for next year. We are up to 2 gallons of syrup now and I expect a little over a gallon today and that will be the end of the sugaring season for me. I pulled my taps yesterday since I've got all the syrup I need. I'm already starting to plan for next year and how to make my process better. I wish you all the best in the next few weeks as the run doesn't show any sign of slowing anytime soon.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #310 on: Mar 27, 2011, 04:53 PM »
I'm spending today boiling down my last 50 gallons. I decided to stick in there with propane and borrowed my father in laws cooker and have been preheating my sap in a canner on the stove to help speed it along. Yesterday we boiled down about 70 gallons and finished it this morning in the house. The extra cooker and preheating has made a huge difference in the amount of sap boiled and propane used. When finishing the syrup this morning I added the 4 pints I had already canned because I wanted to try and get rid of the sediment but to no avail. I filtered my sap through a towel when I collected it, then through a cone filter twice after it was finished. The first time as soon as I take it off of the heat and the second time at about 190 degrees before I can it. I still have a little sediment forming on the bottom. It looks like a wool filter will be in my future for next year. We are up to 2 gallons of syrup now and I expect a little over a gallon today and that will be the end of the sugaring season for me. I pulled my taps yesterday since I've got all the syrup I need. I'm already starting to plan for next year and how to make my process better. I wish you all the best in the next few weeks as the run doesn't show any sign of slowing anytime soon.

Glad you hung in there M.F., you'll figure something out better for next year.  Just drove off my remaining 25 gal., finishing inside today, what a yr. @)

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #311 on: Mar 27, 2011, 07:43 PM »
Wow that maple syrup sure looks great...My grandpa used to do his own also wish he stayed around a little longer to show me the ropes..

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #312 on: Mar 27, 2011, 07:47 PM »
10 day weather forecast doesn't show an end in sight for this maple season.  3 gallons already done, should finish off another two tonight.  Not sure I have enought wood for another boil. 

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #313 on: Mar 27, 2011, 07:54 PM »
Bad week up at camp.  Only picked up 20 gallons of sap - But it was super clear and very tasty just the same.  I think the season has just begun up there. 
Brian<br />Nil Carborundum Illigimiti

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #314 on: Mar 28, 2011, 04:23 AM »
Bad week up at camp.  Only picked up 20 gallons of sap - But it was super clear and very tasty just the same.  I think the season has just begun up there. 

Hey Brace, it was nice to meet you on Friday. Your a top notch outdoorsman. Your right it had been brutally cold up here, my buckets have been froze solid for a week now.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #315 on: Mar 28, 2011, 04:45 AM »
Bad week up at camp.  Only picked up 20 gallons of sap - But it was super clear and very tasty just the same.  I think the season has just begun up there.  

You better hang on Brian, starting tomorrow you are going to be swimming in it right through mid April! @)

I'm in great shape now, like many of you, I'm kind of glad the taps were froze up over the weekend to get caught up.  Pretty sure I'll collect this week and pack it in this weekend. :-\  The "new" pan has been a huge help!

It has been great to see everyone's progress this season and the different ways people use to make quality syrup. @)
I really appreciate it Scotty, letting us keep this 3-4 yr. old thread going, I won't forget it bud. ;)

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #316 on: Mar 28, 2011, 06:30 AM »
Hey Brace, it was nice to meet you on Friday. Your a top notch outdoorsman. Your right it had been brutally cold up here, my buckets have been froze solid for a week now.

It was great meeting you as well Grub!!  Hopefully we'll be able to wet a line this spring. 

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #317 on: Mar 28, 2011, 06:31 AM »
You better hang on Brian, starting tomorrow you are going to be swimming in right through mid April! @)

That's what I'm hoping for Eric.

Offline slt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #318 on: Mar 28, 2011, 08:00 PM »
Geeez....Started this post three years ago, must be some kinda record. I had no idea so many others were as interested in these old time activities but to be perfectly honest I haven't boiled a drop since I first made this post. Some of you guy's are close to genius with your methods and inginuity.
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #319 on: Mar 29, 2011, 12:17 AM »
after todays haul of almost 12 gallons, i'll have around 40 gallons to start on cooking down tomorrow.  with less than 40 taps i'm hoping to get around 4 gallons of syrup this year...our first year.  it has been rather fun and a little bit of excercise to move the sap around, but that's what the beer is for while your cooking i guess ;)  this will be our 3rd cooking so far this year with around 6 quarts finished already.   :pinch:hopefully i'll remember the camera to show you guys the setup before i finish the case of beer! ;D

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
« Reply #320 on: Mar 29, 2011, 12:12 PM »
Wow! Nice build, Eric!  I definitely was in need of some kind of windbreak for boiling this weekend.  Finished off and canned the weekends batch last night and got about three and a half quarts.  A distinctly 'smokey' flavored syrup thanks to all the wind raising havoc with the evaporator.  That's my theory at least?  I dunno, I think might even prefer the taste!  Our niece and nephew came by to visit while I was boiling and helped collect some sap ("tree juice" ;D ) and see 'Uncle Jemima' in action.  Having never seen where maple syrup comes from, they got quite a kick out of the whole thing.  This spring has been a lot of fun and I'm glad to be getting back into it, mostly thanks to you all!  I'm thinking the sap is probably flowing well again today...  

(and thank you moderators for letting this thread live on the Maine board! :thumbsup: )

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #321 on: Mar 29, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Wow! Nice build, Eric!  I definitely was in need of some kind of windbreak for boiling this weekend.  Finished off and canned the weekends batch last night and got about three and a half quarts.  A distinctly 'smokey' flavored syrup thanks to all the wind raising havoc with the evaporator.  That's my theory at least?  I dunno, I think might even prefer the taste!  Our niece and nephew came by to visit while I was boiling and helped collect some sap ("tree juice" ;D ) and see 'Uncle Jemima' in action.  Having never seen where maple syrup comes from, they got quite a kick out of the whole thing.  This spring has been a lot of fun and I'm glad to be getting back into it, mostly thanks to you all!  I'm thinking the sap is probably flowing well again today...  

(and thank you moderators for letting this thread live on the Maine board! :thumbsup: )

I'm glad you got back into it Ryan, sure is fun to see the kids involved in the process.  I too finished a batch last night, getting about 2.75 quarts from 25 gal. so its still good quality sap.  Think I bottled a bit too hot, some sugar sand but absolutely gorgeous syrup, oh well, it all taste good. (although i haven't had a single drop yet! :o ;D) As good as its been, I think these next few days may be the best of season and that's saying a lot. @)

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #322 on: Mar 30, 2011, 07:11 AM »
Think I bottled a bit too hot, some sugar sand

So that could be one of the reasons I have been getting so much sugar sand in my finished product.

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #323 on: Mar 30, 2011, 07:20 AM »
Think I bottled a bit too hot, some sugar sand

Hey Eric, Are you getting maple sand or is it crystalizing?  Overheating normally would culminate in crystalization. I don't know of any cooking method that removes maple sand - But I'm by no means an expert. 

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #324 on: Mar 30, 2011, 07:52 AM »
Alec and Brian - this is a bad year for nitre in general I've been told.  Just me always trying to be "perfect."  Like I was told by a real producer, just start buying plastic jugs instead of mason jars, no one will know. ;D

It's not crystalized, it looks more like a 1/2" cloud on bottom, above it sits the most beautiful light syrup I've ever made, I give all the credit to the hydrometer and orlon filter.  I could almost read the newspaper behind it.  I'm just telling the people I'm giving it to to throw it in the micro. when they near the end of the bottle for a few seconds, its just sugar.

For experiment, I'm going to finish my next batch to syrup, filter immediately, but then let it sit in my pot for a day.  I'm then going to bring back up to 180ish and carefully bottle.  That should be enough time for any remaining nitre to settle to the bottom of the pan without creating more.

FYI - it ran well into the night last night.  We collected around 5:30pm, yet my 5 gal. water jug was nearly 1/2 full of sap this morning.  I won't be a bit surprised if my 16 taps produce 40+ gal. today and tomorrow. @)

Get ready Brian, holler if you need an extra pan to keep up. :tipup:

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #325 on: Mar 30, 2011, 07:58 AM »
Looks like Friday might be a good day for me to boil again(no school, snow day ??? )....have 9 gallons right now and with these warm sunny days my taps are flowing again.....Looking to jar up some more Yumminess!!! :P

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #326 on: Mar 30, 2011, 09:40 AM »
It's not crystalized, it looks more like a 1/2" cloud on bottom, above it sits the most beautiful light syrup I've ever made, I give all the credit to the hydrometer and orlon filter.  I could almost read the newspaper behind it.  I'm just telling the people I'm giving it to to throw it in the micro. when they near the end of the bottle for a few seconds, its just sugar.

1/2" cloud?  Wow, I've never had it that bad - Normally the bottom of my jars are barely covered.  Like you, the 1.5gal of syrup I've got is extremely clear also  Much better then years past. 

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
« Reply #327 on: Mar 30, 2011, 11:08 AM »
I'm a total rookie at this and I'm probably just experiencing beginners luck, but I haven't had any cloudiness or sugar sand or anything in the syrup?  I think i overcooked the first batch because I had some crystallized sugar form against the glass. 
I have know idea if I'm filtering everything the 'right' way or not but it seems to be working so I'll leave it alone.  When I'm done boiling outside, I bring it in and let it set in pot on the stove overnight, no filtering or anything.  The next night, when it gets close to being finished I pour it all (boiling) through one of the cheap thin prefilters that go with the felty orlon filters.  That gets out the majority of the sugar sand without clogging up the thicker orlon filter.  Then it goes back on the stove to finish off completely.  When its done, I pour it (boiling) through another prefilter hanging inside and above the thicker orlon filter.  It goes through pretty well because most of the sand is already gone.  Then it goes back on the stove to heat for canning.  Once it hits 185/190 I ladle it off into jars that have been preheated with hot water.  Then I cap em and go to bed to a chorus of jar lids "ping, ping... ping" as they cool.  Like I said, I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but this process seems to be working for me.   

Yesterday was my biggest sap day so far and I bet today's haul will beat that...

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #328 on: Mar 30, 2011, 12:56 PM »
I'm a total rookie at this and I'm probably just experiencing beginners luck, but I haven't had any cloudiness or sugar sand or anything in the syrup?  I think i overcooked the first batch because I had some crystallized sugar form against the glass.  
I have know idea if I'm filtering everything the 'right' way or not but it seems to be working so I'll leave it alone.  When I'm done boiling outside, I bring it in and let it set in pot on the stove overnight, no filtering or anything.  The next night, when it gets close to being finished I pour it all (boiling) through one of the cheap thin prefilters that go with the felty orlon filters.  That gets out the majority of the sugar sand without clogging up the thicker orlon filter.  Then it goes back on the stove to finish off completely.  When its done, I pour it (boiling) through another prefilter hanging inside and above the thicker orlon filter.  It goes through pretty well because most of the sand is already gone.  Then it goes back on the stove to heat for canning.  Once it hits 185/190 I ladle it off into jars that have been preheated with hot water.  Then I cap em and go to bed to a chorus of jar lids "ping, ping... ping" as they cool.  Like I said, I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but this process seems to be working for me.  

Yesterday was my biggest sap day so far and I bet today's haul will beat that...

By the looks of your pics, I'd say its working.  Maybe I went a little too far with this last batch, but I trust the hydrometer.  When you flip the jar over you see nothing on bottom, who knows.... :-\ 

We ran O.K. yesterday but not great, today is a different story.  I was home for lunch and forget dripping, it was at an all out gallup. ;D

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #329 on: Mar 30, 2011, 12:59 PM »
i didnt tap this year and im regreting it already!  :'(
all these pics and how long the seasons been this year..... o well hopefully next year is just as good!
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.