The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pike Fever  (Read 1407 times)

Offline MikeinMinn

• IceShanty Rookie
Pike Fever
« on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:37 PM »
I think I got a case of pike fever today.  I finally got one to come in to the decoy, and it started to leave.  I jigged the decoy, it came back in and I stopped the decoy and it started to leave, jigged it again it came back.  I know I should have gently put the spear into the water and give it a shove.  Instead I just threw it at him.  Big supprise, I missed.  I think part of the problem was every time I stopped the decoy he started to leave.  If it wasn't moving he wanted nothing to do with it.  It came in to my 6in red and white.

Do you think pike remember things like this.  Will he be spear shy from now on.  Just wondering if any one knows if they have ever got one to come back in after missing him.  Hopfully next time I will remember to do it right.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Re: Pike Fever
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:35 AM »
I would bet that after a few days you could bring him in again  ;)

Here is some research on it: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1106884/Three-second-memory-myth-Fish-remember-months.html

That's funny my cousin (a first timer) just did that this last week, he got to exited and the pike come in pretty fast so he just through the spear from above the water and I have seen it work a few times but almost always you miss when you do that. I have been spearing for about 5 or 6 years now and I haven't done it yet but I want to do it every time ;D but I stop my self and slowly let the spear sink about 4 or 5 inches past the horizontal bar and then I aim until I'm confident and then I give a good thrust to pay dirt  ;)
If you can control your shakes you could use one hand for the spear while jigging the deke with the other hand.
You will get better the more you do it and soon you will have a consistant habit down pat and things will fall into a groove and once that happens you will be hooked for life.

Good luck and stay with it   8)

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2010, 01:01 AM »
I have also noticed that many times if a pike is only some-what interested in the decoy, move the decoy away from it.  I think it makes them think thier prey is getting away and they will really hone in on it then.  Do it slowly and gently though.  It also gives you a chance to move the pike into a better position and at the same time get the spear head in the water and ready your throw.  Just my $.02.

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Do you think pike remember things like this.  Will he be spear shy from now on.  Just wondering if any one knows if they have ever got one to come back in after missing him.  Hopfully next time I will remember to do it right.
I think that is an easy question to answer - There wouldn't be any reason for promoting Catch n Release in rod and reel fishing if every fish caught wised up to the lure he fell for.  ;) And we all know the same lures work over and over on fish in catch and release fisheries which indicates they don't remember or don't learn from their "mistake." So its not likely the fish will retain much long term memory after a day or two. Perhaps a grazing miss that give it a superficial flesh wound might keep its mind focussed on its mistake for a bit longer but its doubtful once the discomfort is gone.

I've noticed that pike that don't want to come all the way in may need further incentive. I'll pull the deek and put on the next decoy that has either produced fish that day or has been productive in the past. Stay back from the hole as you lower it down - their lateral line is so sensitive they know right away when that decoy begins to drop and will look up. I always wear my dark navy blue coveralls to keep as invisible as possible, especially on a sunny day when the tv screen is lit up like a flood light.
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:00 AM »
Problem is they ALL look alike. You don't know if the same one comes back or not, unless they have some specific marks. I had 1 that had a big notch on his nose. I would seem him all the time, probably 20 or 25 times during the season. I think one day that I did eat 'em. Don't push your luck.
Bruster

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2010, 05:12 AM »
Problem is they ALL look alike.
HA! Now that's a laugh. I hadn't thought of that! Maybe my lakes have more pike in them than I thought~!
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.