Author Topic: SD glacial lakes  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Fish2Live

• Team IceShanty Regular
SD glacial lakes
« on: Dec 22, 2018, 02:07 PM »
Questions for you guys that make trips up North? A group of 4 including myself have been making yearly trips to Valentine area for the past 6 years or so. we have spent time on Maritt the refuge lake and enjoy both. we have been talking about changing it up by heading north this year around end of January beginning of February. just not sure on a couple things, is it possible to find fish by walking out we don't have 4 wheelers of snowmobiles. are there smaller lakes that might be easier to find fish. mostly targeting walleye and perch. where do you guys stay when you go up. I guess am just trying to here about others experiences good or bad. thanks in advance

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SD glacial lakes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2018, 02:38 PM »
 I have been making between three and seven trips north to the Webster South Dakota area the last six years. Only taken a Wheeler once and that was near the end of the ice season. Always drive out on all the lakes. Most lakes by that time usually have well over 20 inches of ice.

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2018, 03:19 PM »
 I didn’t answer all your questions I just noticed LOL, I usually stay at Sportsmens cove, or Lynn Lake Lodge, but there are a few more options. I will say that if you’re thinking of going this season, you’re going to need to get something booked very soon because most places are probably three-quarter booked already for the whole season unless you would be going in the middle of the week. If you have anymore questions, keep firing away, I’ll try to answer/help you anyway I can.

Offline Fish2Live

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2018, 07:57 PM »
that's just the kind of info I'm looking for. do you fish the  bigger lakes or some of the smaller lakes.

Offline my-marty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2018, 08:47 PM »
A lot of lakes to choose from. Contact some of the local bait shops a week or so before you head out. Lake chip or phone app should help you out a lot as well.

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2018, 09:24 PM »
 Look up Sportsmens cove,  it is the bait shop in Webster. Call the phone number, and there is a recorded fish report that he does two and three times a week. Gives information on where guys are currently catching fish,what lakes and what access people are using to get on the lakes, a good starting point. I fish most all of the lakes up there, just really depends on where the bite is or what I am in the mood to try and catch. There is something like 15 lakes that are within a 20 mile drive of town, with Waubay and bitter being the massive ones.  You can ice fish 10 hours a day, moving every two hours, for seven straight days on Waubay and not even cover a quarter of it.  I am heading up next weekend so I can let you know how things went if you’re interested, just let me know.   Keep asking if you have anymore questions.👍

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2018, 10:21 AM »
http://thefishcrib.com/?fbclid=IwAR0RpqlpFfsEb3E03pBvJ6zGBe0n7iVMooIkmHqN5J3lPOasy_kVKJRLSDg

X Kearney residents. First year into this venture. Their place is very clean and well outfitted. Dusty guides as well so knows what is going on where. Not saying you need a guide up there but it can save a lot of time and frustration for your first outing in a new area. Well worth it for what it costs for a day IMO. 

Guess what I prefer about places like the Fish Crib over a motel is there is a lot less chance of getting your equipment stolen which has been a problem in that area for decades.

Offline Fish2Live

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2018, 10:52 AM »
I'm going to make some calls after Christmas to see what I can get for openings, I what to thank all you guys again for you input. have a Marry Christmas

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2018, 11:17 AM »
 Anytime!!!💪

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2018, 04:39 PM »
Son and I are heading up tomorrow.  We are staying at a house in lily for a few days then a house in Roslyn the rest of the trip.  Both place are clean and the owners are nice and reasonable prices.  Pm me if you want there #.

Offline rodeomarine21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Go big or go Home
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2018, 06:16 AM »
I took my wife with me to Pickerel Lake. It is just a 5 minute drive to the Grenville slough on Waubay. It was hard fishing, but what we caught was good quality. Bring your rattle baits and big spoons to call them in and have a dead stick with a minnow ready. I called them fish in with big baits and she reeled them in on a minnow under a bobber.
Semper Fish Devil Dogs

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.