Author Topic: Favorite tip-ups  (Read 1896 times)

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Favorite tip-ups
« Reply #30 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:51 AM »
A second vote on the 40 ups.  I own close to 40 tipups (I take lots of people fishing), and my favorite by far are the green 40-ups with the bar trip mechanism.  Never failed me.  One of this sites sponsors, fish307.com (NY site sponsor) had a deal on them just before Xmas.  5 for $69, pre-spooled with line.  Bought 5 for my boys for xmas, and I've been "borrowing" them each time I've fished this year so far without them.

Offline ckashner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:22 AM »
I have a half dozen 40-ups still in my spread that I bought when I was in high school in 1977...and they work just as good as the new ones....you need to tune and repair them sometimes but they are an awesome USA made tipup

Offline downriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2013, 01:53 PM »
I really like my Finicky Fisherman they were pricey, but they really catch fish.  They keep your bait moving, keeps you hole open.

BOB
“If our father had had his way, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.”

Norman Maclean

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:55 PM »
Polar style tip ups are good.  You can see the fish run from on top of the ice.  Down side is they generally have small spools and a low profile.  I have a couple cheap ones( berkly)that work fine.   i just use them in shallower water and keep them near home base to make sure i can see them.  Beaver dams are the nicest polar style I have used. 

The high boy cross beam style is also good.   It is harder to see the fish running with this style but visibity is great allowing you to cover a lot of ice. They generally have larger spools so you can use them for lakers, etc.    I have heritage lakers and have used jack traps and 40 ups.  I like all three. 

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #34 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:22 PM »
I love my Lakers!

Offline tundra1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:29 PM »
 :tipup:  i have been using polar pop -ups  (lite-bites) for years love them they never freeze up.... :tipup:
just not enough time    <*)((><     >*)(((((((((>< 

Offline highvoltagejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:53 PM »
If you are targeting panfish then if I were you I would save the money and buy a decent flasher. You will catch way more panfish than you ever have in the past.  If you already fish with a flasher than I would give Indian Hill a careful consideration. I own many of them but mostly fish'em for bass and pike. Looking for pannies I always jig!

Offline dlroadkill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:38 PM »
It depends on many things but the traps all work.....I have a artic fire, a couple round thermal HTs,a frabil thermal, and many old wooden tipups from many years ago and they all work......Personally I like the spools that I can set for big bait that wont trip easily.....that means a bait clip on the spool so I prefer the frabil and ht thermals

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Jan 04, 2013, 08:03 PM »
It really depends on the type of fishing that I am doing and the weather. Indian Hills for Pike of course, Polars for the really cold days, Jawjackers for trout, I also like to use my Arctic Warriors for Pike...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #39 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:29 PM »
High fliers.
Master Laker taker.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.