The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Permanent Shack Help (Now with pics of the shack)  (Read 4081 times)

Offline windflag77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Live for Ice Fishing
Permanent Shack Help (Now with pics of the shack)
« on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:08 PM »
Hey Guys, I finally own a hard sided shack and i am puting it out tomorrow. I was looking for some tips from you guys who have hard sided shacks as the best technique for anchoring it to the ice so it doesn't blow away. Also looking for tips on anti theft ideas (if any exist). I of course plan to block it up and put out anchor lines, do you think lines on all 4 corners is overkill? I am not that great on tying knots so if there is an easier method (possibly a ratchet strap) it would be appreciated. Any replies are welcome and feel free to pm me if you prefer. I have allready checked the general folder under ice shack tips and i could only find info on portable shack anchoring. Thanks.
FLAAAAG!!!!!!!!!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: Permanent Shack Help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:18 PM »
i use to just tie a section of rope to a 12" piece of wood and push it down the hole turn it then pull it back up against the ice. tie it off to 2 opposite corners and you should be good to go. unless your shack is narrow and tips easy then you might want to do all 4 corners. make sure you leave your ropes long enough to block it up throughout the season as the ice gets thicker

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:19 PM »
Windflag-

Ropes at all corners will be fine. As to anti theft I would reccomend taking some pictures in the event that it is stolen so you can post on this site. We have a good track record as to finding stolen shacks. Good luck

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:25 PM »
Lines on 4 corner will hold it fine .  I like the idea of some extra line so you can keep blocking it up to .   The only thing is that I feel sorry for you if you are in southern Maine . The lakes are a mess with 12 inches of snow on top of 6 inches of slush .  I hope you make out alright tomorrow .  Good Luck

Oh I see your up near Bangor .  I hope the conditions are better up there ...

Offline nhbigdrake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:27 PM »
i use the ratchet end of the ratchet strap and then i use nylon lumber straps which i save from work throughout the year, but you can get them from your local lumber yard, that way you are not losing the other end of a good ratchet strap.
bad day fishin's better than a good day of workn'

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:03 PM »
the knots are the easy part use a clove hitch with an extra overhand knot to tie to the wood and use a taunt line to attach to an eye bolt in the shack
here is a link as to how to tie the taunt line hitch
http://www.iwillknot.com/taut_line/
and one for the clove hitch
http://www.ehow.com/how_7532_tie-clove-hitch.html
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:16 PM »
I think anchoring it down will be the easy part! getting it through the snow and slush might be another story? If you have the time maybe try packing a trail down with a snowmobile in the afternoon from launch site to ware you want it on the lake, let it freeze overnight and put it out next morning. Good Luck!
Never Give Up!

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:56 PM »

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:05 PM »
I think anchoring it down will be the easy part! getting it through the snow and slush might be another story? If you have the time maybe try packing a trail down with a snowmobile in the afternoon from launch site to ware you want it on the lake, let it freeze overnight and put it out next morning. Good Luck!
Definitely a good idea, even multiple passes to pack for the runners, also ;) :tipup: :tipup:
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:35 AM »
I tie down the two back corners of my 4x8 only, because I hang around outside the door end quite a bit and dont want to be tripping over ropes.

I throw two 5-6 foot long pieces of fir under the runners (crossways front and back) to block it up so it doesnt freeze in. If the fir isnt retrievable when its time to pack it up for the winter, its no biggie.

I use the stick-through-the-hole method Billditrite said.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline barkspud

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Real fisherman take children fishing
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:54 AM »
I had to untie a mess my wife made moving some gear with truck WOW.   I asked her what gived with the knots and she said my dad always said if you can't tie a knot tie alot. He has worked every kind of fishing boat going go figure. Since I have taught her to tie Knots and hitches. Didn't I get some razzing from the captains from that one. Good luck with the shack I see some half a** attempts yesterday at getting shacks out. I don't get it no blocking no ropes can barley open door. Them will be the ones coming off in pieces.
DUDE THAT'S A NICE FISH CAN I USE IT FOR BAIT?     

Fish stories limited too 40'' or 40 minutes wich ever comes first.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:42 AM »
Not sure of the design of your shack but on mine, the door is in the long wall.  I drill just two holes, in the middle of each gable wall and anchor to the corners.  No ropes to trip over as with the four corners, works well. :tipup:

Offline windflag77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Live for Ice Fishing
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:03 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, I have her loaded so off i go. Feel free to keep sending tips, the more tips you give me the less i have to learn on my own the hard way. Makes me think of a quote i hear once "You think education is expensive, try ignorance."
FLAAAAG!!!!!!!!!!

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:20 AM »
I also leave mine right on the trailer now and drive it right out on the lake...usually hooking it to a fourwheeler because of ice thickness, but if there is enough I just drive the truck out.  Then unload it right off the trailer where you want it on the lake...easier then dragging it out!!!

Offline gauge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:15 AM »
Good Luck,
          I try to make sure when I first tie it up to allow for plenty of extra rope on the shack end. This allows me plenty of rope to retie when I jack up the shack,

Enjoy gauge
Fishing the same way and expecting different results.

Offline Cool Blue

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Winter Time, Good times!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:23 AM »
I usually anchor 1 back corner and one on the opposite side in the front. Lots of snow on the lakes now, pack a good trail and let freeze over night. Im going to try and get mine out too before the warm weather and rain sunday night. What a mess the lakes are going to be next week :'(

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:35 AM »
I had a 8X10 on west grand ,I had it tied down on all 4 corners like the others mentioned and it worked fine until we got a 60+ gale with rain then the holes that held the wood that the shack was tied to got washed out and the shack took a ride down the lake about 200 yards on its roof.What a mess. So keep in mind you relay need to check these shacks often say twice a week min.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline windflag77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Live for Ice Fishing
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:40 PM »
Thanks again for the tips guys, everything went great today(except for one small problem). The shack hauls like a dream, i could stop and go with it like it wasn't even there. Got it all jacked up and anchored down. I am ready to fish out of it for the first time tomorrow. I will have to remember the camera to post some pics of it for you guys. The only problem i ran into was my sled trailer broke on the way to the lake and it tilted up with the back dragging on the ground. The shack was strapped down good so it didn't slide off luckily.  Made an adjustment and limped it to the lake, other than that it was a great day.
FLAAAAG!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Stump18

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2010, 02:40 PM »
My shacks have been broken into and vandalized year after year. So this year I put it at a different lake and am no longer locking it up. Don't care if someone uses it to warm up but am just tired of fixing the door every year. So I am now making sure that I bring everything that I take out to the shack back home with me. So far so good.

Offline Fatcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2010, 02:49 PM »
I have a small car scissor jack that works great blocking it up and getting the ropes tight. Beats bending the ice chisel.
Maine . 200lb Bucks & 6lb Brookies  !!!!!

Offline windflag77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Live for Ice Fishing
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:12 PM »
Like i said i got the shack out. Here are a few pics of it.

I am also looking forward to the "This shack is protected by IceShanty.com Members" sign for the side of it.
FLAAAAG!!!!!!!!!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: Permanent Shack Help (Now with pics of the shack)
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2010, 03:44 AM »
that is a NICE shanty !! thats no shack lol  i think id be looking into some insurance!!  ;D

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2010, 04:07 AM »
Beauty shack....maybe I just can't see them, but you def. want to get those skis up off the ice w/ some 4X4 atleast.  Tough view you got there. :)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:11 AM »
Beauty shack....maybe I just can't see them, but you def. want to get those skis up off the ice w/ some 4X4 atleast.  Tough view you got there. :)
if he dont  he wont need ancors esp after the next few days   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline windflag77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Live for Ice Fishing
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:53 AM »
Yah it is a tough view to cope with. It is up on 4x4's right now and i will be going out mid week to check on it. It is also insured and not only by team maine, but that is the back up plan.
FLAAAAG!!!!!!!!!!

Offline McIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a Kid FISHING!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:43 AM »
Yah it is a tough view to cope with. It is up on 4x4's right now and i will be going out mid week to check on it. It is also insured and not only by team maine, but that is the back up plan.
Where do you get insurance for an Ice Shanty??
I wasn't running the net!                  :icefish:

Offline windflag77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Live for Ice Fishing
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:06 AM »
if you add it as an item it is covered by your home insurance
FLAAAAG!!!!!!!!!!

Offline iroc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Cider Shack"
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:30 AM »
i use to just tie a section of rope to a 12" piece of wood and push it down the hole turn it then pull it back up against the ice. tie it off to 2 opposite corners and you should be good to go. unless your shack is narrow and tips easy then you might want to do all 4 corners. make sure you leave your ropes long enough to block it up throughout the season as the ice gets thicker

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.