Author Topic: Cumberland Area Bait  (Read 1625 times)

Offline ice-PAC

• IceShanty Rookie
Cumberland Area Bait
« on: Jan 05, 2010, 08:53 AM »
Hi, just trying to find bait a little closer to home.  I live  in Bedford PA and bait in the winter is a real problem here.  The only place to get minnows in the conuty is Jackie's Cafe in Centerville but they only cary bait when the Cumberland Dams are frozen and fishable.   My wife works in Cumberland and I was wondering if there were any bait shops there that carry shiners through the winter.  Typically I head to Nicklow's around Christmas and stock my bait tank but tough to drive the 1.5 hours when I could be on the ice.  Thanks for the help, Ryan

Offline madb05

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cumberland Area Bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2010, 09:16 PM »
i am also from bedford county, which generally doesnt have very good lake fishing (mainly talking about shawnee) but as far as bait, i found that the bait shop up towards shawnee lake is open in the winter time.(not coach ed's but the other one.. just can't think of the name off hand)  It is self serve. the minnows seem to be kept well and they actually have a lot of other ice fishing supplies out back too.  i was thinking about heading to koon lake or lake gordon in the next couple days but ive never been there.  i'd like to catch walleyes or pike/pickerel but not sure what they've got down there.  my hopes was to go to high point lake in somerset but they've gotten 20+ inches of snow since friday...

well hopefully i could help you a little. i dont know if you knew about that bait shop being opened in winter or not.

matt

Offline ice-PAC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2010, 04:59 AM »
Hi, no I didn't know that they were still open.  Thanks for the tip.  I have fished the Cumberland dams during open water but through the ice.  Thanks again, Ryan

Offline bowhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:09 AM »
just talk to shawnee bait  they will have bait to today that's the one by shawnee the # is 733-4000

Offline jbscrazies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:42 AM »
If you are looking for a good pike/pick or walleye bite, don't go to Koon or Gordon.  There are picks in there but not like other lakes around.  There are walleye down there as well but you stand a much better chance of catching eyes elsewhere.  These lakes are predominantly panfish and bass lakes. 
By the way, Jackie's was getting fatheads and shiners.  Waiting to get them from Nickalow's.  That's what they told me on Saturday anyways.

Offline Qweebie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2010, 05:10 PM »
Don't know if you have tried the Bassin' Box in LaVale if your wife works in Cumberland. They have, as of yesterday, maggots, waxworms, and meal worms in stock as well as a bunch of different jigs and accessories. Only a 5 min drive from Cumberland and they get all of their bait from Nicklew's so you wont have to drive as far.

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:04 PM »
I live in Ridgeley,Wv and travel to Nicklows. The Bass'in Box too often dose'nt have minnows or is closed. I would love to buy them at the Bass'in Box if you are listening Jimmy! Most cays I stop you are closed.
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.