Author Topic: Ice fishing for just the sport of it  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice fishing for just the sport of it
« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2011, 11:04 AM »
Nothing wrong with catch and release, I do it all the time.

I do enjoy eating fish, but don't feel like I have to keep everything I catch. I don't think I could eat everything I caught, even if I tried.

Same here a picture is worth a thousand words and and Ive released some monsters too, for someone else to catch and you can always have a replica made. Read my moto below!
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline kirlin213

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2011, 11:19 AM »
I tend to keep very few, we do have a fish fry every once in a while and will keep a few 14-17 inch trout for that but everything else goes back in the drink. If and when I finally catch that wall hanger I will have a replica made.

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2011, 11:47 AM »
i keep just enough fish in the winter to have a couple fish fry's for a few people. other than that they go back. in the summer i tend to throw everything back.

Offline iceman4667

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 12, 2011, 07:25 PM »
All go back ;D 

ICE REBEL

« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2011, 09:10 PM »

Same here a picture is worth a thousand words and and Ive released some monsters too, for someone else to catch and you can always have a replica made. Read my moto below!
Nothing beats having the really thing hanging on your wall. I have some really nice fish on my wall and they are all the real thing. I would never get a replica made It's just not the same.

ICE REBEL

« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2011, 08:12 PM »
Before

After

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2011, 08:24 PM »
Keep a meal (usually) and release the rest if I stay. Female Perch with eggs always go back as do the monster 'gills and crappies. Fish small(ish), heavily hit waters and choose to protect the gene pool. Catch a lot of flak for sending nice fish back down the hole, the locals may or may not get over it. My choice, if they could "learn" to catch then keep them, no problem but most seem to have brain lock on technique/approach.

Offline KenDOdoubleG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:43 PM »
I'm fishin' for meat when I step out on the ice. That and coastal Maine stripah's!
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemien business that, when gone about properly put you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 14, 2011, 02:45 PM »
i like the idea of catch and release, i catch alot of trout and i dont eat trout so they all go back in the water. bu i love to eat yellow perch so if i am catching a few here and there i dont usally keep them but if im in a huge school of perch i diffanly keep um. on a side note my dad also doesnt eat trout and he would give them to the cathlic nuns and they were more than happy to get them.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.