Author Topic: Bitter Lake Conditions  (Read 9203 times)

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
Bitter Lake Conditions
« on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:26 AM »
I know there has been significant snowfall in the area.  Has anyone seen anyone in trucks out?  I have a great set of big tires...12" doesn't really bother me....but 14" becomes a bit iffy.  Has anyone seen trucks on the lake today now that the weather has laid down a little.  I was hoping the wind would blow a lot of the lake thinner, but I heard it was a wet heavy snow and seemed to stick....which isn't good.  Specifically, the SE ramp access....has anyone pushed a road out onto the lake to their permies? I know there were some out there and as hoping someone would have.  If anyone has a plow or knows someone who would plow to some numbers for me for $$....PM me.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline jonas

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bitter Lake Conditions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:02 AM »
I know there has been significant snowfall in the area.  Has anyone seen anyone in trucks out?  I have a great set of big tires...12" doesn't really bother me....but 14" becomes a bit iffy.  Has anyone seen trucks on the lake today now that the weather has laid down a little.  I was hoping the wind would blow a lot of the lake thinner, but I heard it was a wet heavy snow and seemed to stick....which isn't good.  Specifically, the SE ramp access....has anyone pushed a road out onto the lake to their permies? I know there were some out there and as hoping someone would have.  If anyone has a plow or knows someone who would plow to some numbers for me for $$....PM me.

If 14'' inches becomes a bit iffy.....what would 17 or 18 do?  Id bring a sled regardless.  We were away from the group this weekend getting stuck in the 3 foot drifts that were already there.  Couldnt get that close to shore it was already deep.  There was a trampled path on the se ramp so maybe one would be able to get around there with a truck but I would bring 3 trucks to pull each other out.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:18 AM »
Yeah....we got some load-up sling type straps....and A sled.   I don't mind riding in a sled if I'm far enough back....hell....I almost think I want to have the seld take out the gear and my pops and take a snow board and have some fun. At 42  years old....not sure how that would work...LOL.    I KNOW I can get out there....my legs work.  Mile and a half in 14" is like a 4 mile hike on pavement carrying a bag of softner salt.    I can do it....not thrilled about it.

Anyone want to trade a rig ride for a gem spot???   I don't mind sharing....I've pullled some footballs,huge pike, and some nice cleaner sized eyes (and some chubby gals that needed released for April Valenteyes day).....I need a ride is all.  Got good numbers on a small but consistent spot.  PM me if you are serious....tomorrow will will be the lynch pin in this trip.  Crusted powder /slush or a solid top coating....anybody gives me some some solid feedback....I can give you some solid numbers to fish....paydirt for 5 weeks now.  The Carnival Cruise line of perch...they arent moving anywhere to fast.  LOL>
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eyes by day, Eyes by night.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:11 PM »
The Carnival Cruise line of perch...they arent moving anywhere to fast.  LOL>

LOL  :roflmao:

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:43 PM »
Is the snow still soft or is it hardening the drifts and such with the winds?? Just wondering if a quad would work to stay on top of the snow...
Let's fish it.

Offline dwmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:59 PM »
Has anyone ventured out on Bitter or Waubay last last couple days? Got a trip planned for this weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It's all about Ducks, Dogs, and Kids

Offline moab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2013, 01:53 PM »
They got atleast 16.5" in Webster through Monday.  Maybe contact Doug at Sportsmans Cove for latest conditions.  Last i heard vehicle with tracks or a sled is recommended for the area.  Some parking lots cleared.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2013, 01:55 PM »
Sportsman's Cove says snowmobiles or tracked vehicles only.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline dwmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2013, 02:21 PM »
Well that sucks :'(. The weather shows its snowing again. 1 to 3 more inches. :(

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2013, 02:37 PM »
Yeah this weekend is going to be fun!  @)
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2013, 08:08 AM »
Any new info. on getting around the lake. Anyone been on it ?

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:58 AM »
It was rough.  Mobility was rediculous....even setting 3 tip ups was a chore...rest in the shack.  Moving around would be best if it wouldn't be so cold.   We huddled....in shacks....my buds rode some sleds (GREAT SLEDDING LAKE)...We managed a few perch, a keeper eye, a nice pike....caught a lot of under eyes....but you need to drop right on a good spot....moving is epic.   2" crust over powder snow....drill a hole and its a slush factory.  Almost like setting duck decoys as far as how far and fast you can move.   Kind of expected it...but didn't realize the crust on top.  Every part of my body is sore....not a failure trip...but not a victory either.

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:38 AM »
That's not good to hear  :-\  were there a lot of people up there at all?
Let's fish it.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:43 AM »
Nah......vacant.....fo r Bitter Lake company.   If a guy could move (as normal)....you would catch fish.   That lake is a chasm of snow and labor.    No more walking across glare ice and drlling 30 holes....6 holes from the shack (70 yards) is a monster.   Not the first time...the second and third.  It's a 2" crust, powder below...but...the snow weight fills your shack with a slush as soon as you drill.  Bring Laker Tip Ups.....and a carb boost meal.    Hardest conditions I've fished in years.  Put down a shack....never moved....to hard even with a snow mobile!   Dig out your shack and then...no snow would even hold a bucket to sit on trying to hole hop.....Old school bad weather.    Drill holes....sit and wait...unless you want a real battle....I like those...but this is like walking up a sand dune....on flat snow.   Even if there is a warm front....Bitter and Waubay will be ice over 18" of slush.   Hate to say it....short of a snow bear or some kind of enclosed track rig with an auger and extension....those lakes are in trouble this season.   A warm day in the next 10 days and a refreeze could save it for your average angler in a couple weeks. I could barely set tip ups more than 50 yards from my shack.....it is that deep.   Trucks (today) are not an option....chains or not.   We had sleds stuck.   15" of snow is average (or low spots)....you can find 30" easy......that is south side Bitter report.  We did catch a few nice perch, eyes. and pike....but slow.....very slow...if you planned a trip next weekend....it will be worse.   Thurs. is 20"+ in areas from Sioux falls to Des Moines.   The good news!!??     There is 24"+ minimum on any spot we drilled...mid march fishishing is going to happen.

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2013, 02:28 PM »
Not quite what I wanted to hear, but was to be expected i suppose...
Let's fish it.

Offline Mud87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2013, 03:08 PM »
Significant snowfall expected Thursday. Looks like its over boys!  :o

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2013, 04:32 PM »
We fished Bitter this past weekend as well.  On the north east ramp you could drive on to about 200 yards from shore.  We caught several perch but it wasn't fast and furious.  We couldn't keep the small walleyes off our lines though.  We also caught several northerns.  They were all around 4 pounds.  To top off the trip though we caught a 26" 7 pound walleye on a tip up at night.  It made our trip. 

Offline crappie rig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2013, 07:58 PM »
Vex um wish you would have shared some of your luck with us over on the south side of Bitter. Mind knumingly slow till sunset then a few small walleye, but a bad day of fishing still better than a good day of work

Offline DB3217

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:47 AM »
they are talking another big snowfall tonight and tomorrow. fishin looks like its about done

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:57 AM »
Sorry Crappierig, didn't mean to leave you hanging but we worked our butts off looking for perch and it just never happened.  I would have to say the fishing was SLOW.  We were there in a sleeper for 3 days so there was a lot of dead time.  Here's a picture of the walleye.

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2013, 06:25 PM »
definately need a sled on bitter.  we moved all over with our sled and popped holes every where.  caught some night jumbo perch and a couple keeper walleyes.   alot of dinks of both if you were not on the right spot. 
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.....

Offline rich_fisher69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2013, 07:07 PM »
Pictures Shane or it didn't happen! You know the rules! Lol!  ;D

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2013, 07:20 PM »
Pictures Shane or it didn't happen! You know the rules! Lol!  ;D

my new phone don't take very good pics so i don't even bother.  and cound't use dave's phone since he dropped it into the lake.... :)
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.....

Offline dwmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2013, 03:30 PM »
Any updates on the lake conditions? Still only able to get around with sleds?

Offline Mud87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2013, 03:33 PM »
It will be sleds till end of the winter. Stay down south boys.

Offline fowlfoolr1979

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2013, 05:30 PM »
It won't be sleds till the end of winter,  ;D but from all the reports I keep getting from buddies who live up there is that it will be sleds or a quad with tracks for at least a few more weeks till some of the snows gets packed down or melts down a bit.... March is a fantastic perch bite though so if you do not have either of those types of transportation I would just wait until March and head up then....

Layne

Offline jon johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "He says you fish poorly."
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2013, 05:41 PM »
March starts Friday...might want to wait until late March.  I hope to get up there the 23rd or so and HOPING to be on wheels.
Clam Thermal X--Ski Doo Summit---Vexilar FL-12

Offline jonas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2013, 10:52 AM »
Dad was up there this weekend and he said it was pretty rough....there was a few trucks like right off of the landing but they were not able to get very far.

Offline dwmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 26, 2013, 11:17 AM »
Thanks guys, think I am going to push my trip back a couple weeks tell mid month. I think a sled is on the list for next years ice season. Had to push out three trips this season due to snow.

Offline jonas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2013, 11:26 AM »
Id wait for a few more weeks.  Looks like the temps are not going to get much over freezing in the next 10 days.  Hope it starts to warm up fast.  There should be a short window of vehicle travel before the ice starts to deteriorate.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.