Author Topic: Lx6 vs lx7 vs flx28  (Read 10762 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lx6 vs lx7 vs flx28
« on: Sep 23, 2017, 11:47 AM »
I know the following has been covered somewhere but I am not having any luck getting the search function to work at the moment.

I've got fl 8 right now. I bought it knowing that I would upgrade eventually, I've had 0 issues with it but after using an fl18 I found out how much I was missing in the bottom 6. I was planning to get an fl18 but after thinking longer I think I want to say screw it and buy a top end flasher that way I won't be tempted to upgrade again in a few years. I really like vexilar but after looking into the marcum flashers I might be making a switch. I like the lx 6 because of its size and of course slightly lower sticker price and it sure seems like you get more bang for your buck with the lx6/lx7 over an flx28 vexilar. Anybody have a side by side pick of an lx 6 and an fl8 or fl18? I am mainly curious about how big the flasher dial is on the lx6. The fl8 isn't very big but I don't want to get much smaller.

As always I appreciate any and all input. The last thing I want to start is  marcum vs vexilar argument. I am personally a vex guy mainly because I don't like the colors on the standard dial flashers. I do plan to keep my fl8 and give it to my son. I will most likely be needing another one when he decides he wants to upgrade so...... I may get a second chance to upgrade.....

Offline onestring

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lx6 vs lx7 vs flx28
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2017, 11:54 AM »
go with the lx7 you won't be disappointed

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2017, 11:58 AM »
I have a FLX28 and fl20. I like to 28 better for a few reasons, 1st its bright even in direct sunlight and 2nd it is quieter but both are amazing tools.  I know they are coming out with more brushless models this season flx12,20 so the new 20 might be all you need as it has the bottom zoom (6' and12') which I use to great effect lake trout fishing.  I have never used a marcum so I have no input on these machines. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2017, 12:03 PM »
here is another unit that might may you rethink what you want as far as top end.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/149188
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170912005166/en/Garmin%C2%AE-introduces-Panoptix-Ice-Bundle-new-ice

btw, you didn't mention the marcum rt-9.

http://www.rapala.com/marcum/gps-sonar-camera/rt-9-sonar-gps-combo/rt-9-sonar-gps-combo/RT9-CMB.html
https://www.fishusa.com/product/MarCum-Sonar-GPS-Combo

i like my marcum lx9 best and have used vexilars and humminbirds and showdowns. i would like to try one of the panoptix units tho.

Offline Tipupguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2017, 12:08 PM »
I know the following has been covered somewhere but I am not having any luck getting the search function to work at the moment.

I've got fl 8 right now. I bought it knowing that I would upgrade eventually, I've had 0 issues with it but after using an fl18 I found out how much I was missing in the bottom 6. I was planning to get an fl18 but after thinking longer I think I want to say screw it and buy a top end flasher that way I won't be tempted to upgrade again in a few years. I really like vexilar but after looking into the marcum flashers I might be making a switch. I like the lx 6 because of its size and of course slightly lower sticker price and it sure seems like you get more bang for your buck with the lx6/lx7 over an flx28 vexilar. Anybody have a side by side pick of an lx 6 and an fl8 or fl18? I am mainly curious about how big the flasher dial is on the lx6. The fl8 isn't very big but I don't want to get much smaller.

As always I appreciate any and all input. The last thing I want to start is  marcum vs vexilar argument. I am personally a vex guy mainly because I don't like the colors on the standard dial flashers. I do plan to keep my fl8 and give it to my son. I will most likely be needing another one when he decides he wants to upgrade so...... I may get a second chance to upgrade.....

FISH ON!🎣

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2017, 12:16 PM »
Lol, I draw the line at $700 for a flasher I can only use for a fraction of the year.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2017, 12:47 PM »
the marcum digital and garmin can be used year round.
the lx6 with the new lithium marcum shuttle package is what i would be looking to buy if your on a 700$ budget. the shuttle sonar package is 100$ off retail for the shuttle i read on here a few weeks ago. i saw the lx6 for 400$ a month or so ago at fish307.
now it's up to 520$ w/o lithium shuttle.
https://www.fish307.com/marcum-lx-6s-sonar-system/

the shuttle retail is 250$ and they are sold out! (glad i got mine while i could)

heres the lithium lx6s combo. use WELCOME10 to get 10% off. or sign up to get the code. should be near your budget.
http://www.rapala.com/marcum/fish-finders-sonar/digital-ice-systems/lx-6sli-digital-lithium-combo/LX-6SLI.html?cgid=marcum-sonar-digitalIceSystems

lx7 combo
http://www.rapala.com/marcum/fish-finders-sonar/digital-ice-systems/lx-7li-digital-lithium-combo/LX-7LI.html?cgid=marcum-sonar-digitalIceSystems

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2017, 01:29 PM »
I know these comments are tantamount to heresy but I would not pick any of those. Flasher technology regardless of how they tweak it . Is yesterdays news. This is from a lifelong user of flashers. I have owned FL-8 FL-18 and FL-20 , couple Marcum flashers and the Humminbird 55.
All proved to be reliable and were used to catch a lot of fish. If someone told me .I would be on the ice without some type of flasher . I would have thought that person to be slightly nuts.

There are numerous FF/GPS units from all the makers . That give more and varied info than any flasher. Ever get caught in a whiteout either a true blizzard or just wind blowing snow around on the ice ? In any limited visual situation a GPS equipped finder can  safely guide you back.The vast majority of them will cost you less than the top level and medium level flashers. That includes getting a special ducer for ice fishing.

The older LCD units did not perform well in cold temperatures and suffered from time delay. That is no longer true with the LED displays.

Using more modern equipment also opens other choices for better info. Example a few years back I used a Humminbird 798 HD connected to a quadbeam transdsducer. The quadbeam reads a cone twice the depth it is being used in . In 15 foot of water I could cover a 30 foot diameter circle.
Last year I switched over to Garmin to utilize the Panoptix. Now I can cover 100 foot to the side using the PS21. Due to Ohio's short 2 week ice season last year. I didn't get the chance to make any of my own videos. But other people have.

I don't know of many fishermen that limit themselves to flashers while they boat fish. Why should ice fishing be any different ?
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2017, 01:34 PM »
hays47, i haven't seen any thing on the garmin panoptix other than it can find fish from a distance sideways. how does it work on top of the stack once your on it? what compares to it at that point? aren't you fishing it vertically then? so it's a parascope to get you to fish is what i see it doing in other words. not that that's a bad thing if you don't know where to fish the lake your on. i do, so it's not needed, but would be a fun addition is all for me.
i'm asking you because you use it. and no one else here knows. i can't find how well the IR works or target separation ect on it.

as for gps, the lakes i fish are not in the map coverage, so no point in spending on a unit that won't help me. many of us already have smart phones with gps built-in for getting back to our transportation and make way points on water/ice/land.

i found this quot on indepthoutdoors  https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/panoptix-ice-bundle/
"Yeah…for $1,800, I’ll continue to swing my transducer under the ice to find schools"

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=333732.0  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=318798.0
and then there was that stick some company made for ice fishing that holds your transducer at any angle you want to do what the panoptix is doing, some what.

another company made a J shaped clip that holds your ducer sideways also.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2017, 05:42 PM »
FLX-28 or LX-7.....You'll be more than happy with either one of these !!  :)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2017, 06:44 PM »
Lol, I draw the line at $700 for a flasher I can only use for a fraction of the year.

While the options on other stuff is nice, I've found the FL18 has pretty much all that a guy needs. $350 or less on a refurbished unit. Pretty much everyone I've known that had an FL8 at some point sells it to upgrade to a unit with zoom.   

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2017, 10:57 PM »
The Panoptix is more than just a side ways pointed transducer. So do you use a flasher on your boat and your cell phone for GPS ?
What is so special about ice fishing ? That you want to handicap yourself.

Watch a few on-line videos of the Panoptix. Better yet try and tag along with someone who does have the setup.

Few years back a guy with a Humminbird 788 CI. Gave me an education. What I was missing right on the ice. Shortly afterward I sold the flashers.
Time marches on and so does technology.  The inescapable fact is the LED units can do everything the flasher does and just as good. Plus it does stuff the flasher cannot.

If you are completely happy with flasher technology great use it. I like and use the extras the LED MFD provides.

Like I said I used flashers myself a looooong time. But seeing is believing.

G.E.F.M

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2017, 01:13 AM »
The Panoptix is more than just a side ways pointed transducer. So do you use a flasher on your boat and your cell phone for GPS ?

Watch a few on-line videos of the Panoptix. Better yet try and tag along with someone who does have the setup.

Few years back a guy with a Humminbird 788 CI. Gave me an education. What I was missing right on the ice. Shortly afterward I sold the flashers.
Time marches on and so does technology.  The inescapable fact is the LED units can do everything the flasher does and just as good. Plus it does stuff the flasher cannot.

If you are completely happy with flasher technology great use it. I like and use the extras the LED MFD provides.

LMAO...handicap....wha tever. I can Hire a guide too, or I can just buy fish in the store....

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2017, 07:38 AM »
All this talk of getting lost on the ice do to Fog or snow. Might want to look here at a fraction of the cost. Old school reliability. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiM0Iqi673WAhUh74MKHWAQDCkQFgjxATAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thecompassstore.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNH8jnxUGRx_NK7Mge-JONOt905N0A You cant go wrong with Fl-18 or the FLX-28
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2017, 07:49 AM »
All this talk of getting lost on the ice do to Fog or snow. Might want to look here at a fraction of the cost. Old school reliability. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiM0Iqi673WAhUh74MKHWAQDCkQFgjxATAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thecompassstore.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNH8jnxUGRx_NK7Mge-JONOt905N0A You cant go wrong with Fl-18 or the FLX-28

I'm sure it would work, but why would you need it when your phone and vehicle have a GPS and map on them? of course when they are frozen and don't work the compass will.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 24, 2017, 08:25 AM »
I use my fl28 all year chasing gills in 10-25 f.o.w. As long as it's not too windy and you use a ultra light (shorter rod length) you can see your jig and fish just fine. My wife and I both have 28's and we use them all year.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2017, 09:33 AM »
I also use my vexilars year around. on the boat and icefishing.got the 12 degree boat ducer mounted to the bottom of my trolling motor.or my 19 that can shoot thru the hull and my iceducers for icefishing.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 24, 2017, 09:54 AM »
$1800.00 for that Panoptix kit??? I'll stick with my Vexilar and Lowrance units.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Sep 24, 2017, 10:09 AM »
$1800.00 for that Panoptix kit??? I'll stick with my Vexilar and Lowrance units.
haha right on.to pull a fish thru a hole in the ice.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #19 on: Sep 24, 2017, 10:27 AM »
had to watch some Panoptixs videos. Cool stuff and I can see how it would crush in open water. Even more of an advantage than the stuff we are using on the ice. But not seeing as much as an advantage on the ice.  Definitely an advantage but not like open water. 

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 24, 2017, 10:27 AM »

The thing that's special about ice fishing is that the sonar unit is dead still so imaging don't work and a abunch of historical clutter is a waste. Yeah I run Lowrance HDS units in my boats but LX5 and 7 on the ice with a Garmin 62s with a lake view chip. I think the important features to compare are target separation, dual beam capability, IR settings and direct sunlight viewing. The Marcum , Vexilar units have these features.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 24, 2017, 11:29 AM »
I'm sure it would work, but why would you need it when your phone and vehicle have a GPS and map on them? of course when they are frozen and don't work the compass will.
I'll tell you why. Because your phone and vehicle do not have a GPS and map on them.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Sep 24, 2017, 11:39 AM »
I'll tell you why. Because your phone and vehicle do not have a GPS and map on them.

Umm.....yeah they do.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Sep 24, 2017, 11:46 AM »
You took my statement to literally. I meant some people do not have those items.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Sep 24, 2017, 11:55 AM »
You took my statement to literally. I meant some people do not have those items.

I understand. It has got to be pretty small on people who dont have a smart phone though.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Sep 24, 2017, 02:21 PM »
What all of you are choosing to ignore is I have used both flashers and the newer technology. The vast majority of you have not. Most negative comments about the Panoptix show a lack of familiarity with the product. Panoptix does not need movement to be effective. I not only use it ice fishing I use it on my boat while anchored . Side Imaging and down imaging DO need movement to be an effective tool so useless on ice.

Not here to create enemies or embroil in controversy. Where everyone is correct it is expensive when setting up a Panoptix equipped unit. Some of that may be helped by not buying the factory package and assembling your own. In my case I bought used equipment. For the PS21 , Garmin Echomap Chirp 92  and ice ducer. I have about 1000 tied up. Not cheap by any means. But look at what a LX9 will set you back.

I also used to pack my Vex on my boat and used it while anchored and jigging for crappie. Just like ice fishing only warmer. But the other units I have on my boat have eliminated the need for that.

When googling about Panoptix. Google this term " Using Panoptix for Ice fishing ". If those videos don't convince you my words never will.

Over , Out and Done
G.E.F.M

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #26 on: Sep 24, 2017, 02:40 PM »
you still have to drill a hole where the fish were located with the transducer and when you drill a hole on top of the fish they move......

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #27 on: Sep 24, 2017, 02:47 PM »
Then the same applies to whatever you're using, or NOT using!! Just drilling a hole blindly will do it !!! I wouldn't spend $1,800 on this, but it does have advantages. Wait awhile and the price will come down, plus there will be copy cats for competition!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #28 on: Sep 24, 2017, 02:52 PM »
intentionally drilling on top of fish will scare fish every time....

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Sep 24, 2017, 03:43 PM »
I hear a good fisherman draws fish to his hole by jigging.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.