Author Topic: Perch Palooza Get Slammed In Local Paper  (Read 16792 times)

Offline Hermdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard, Die Happy
Perch Palooza Get Slammed In Local Paper
« on: Mar 14, 2008, 11:54 AM »
James H. Phillips, "outdoor writer" wrote an article about Perch Palooza, in todays (3-14-08) addition of the Herald Republican. You can see it on the web , kpcnews.com, sports, outdoor section. He slammed them boys pretty hard. Even cracked the code for "Fox Lake" and revealed the true lake. >:D CHECK IT OUT  Buy the way, the only thing that so called "newspaper" is good for, is cleanin fish on!!!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Perch Palooza Get Slammed In Local Paper
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2008, 12:05 PM »
What did he say. Can you post the article, cause I dont get thaT PAPER????????

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2008, 12:12 PM »
The author of the article is a complete tool.  He is only interested in promoting himself and his little elitist trout club.  If you don't duck hunt or fish with his son or his small circle of 'freinds' then you find nothing interesting in any of his columns.  He provides no fishing information or reports, only how his son or buddies conquered a trout, deer or duck in the past week.  His article takes shots at the fishermen that caught the fish, iceshanty.com, the DNR and fish biologists, because of course he knows better than everyone else about how much 'damage' was done by taking that many perch.. :cookoo: :cookoo: ::)  I miss the old columns by Cecil Baird that actually provided useful reports and real information that could be used by 90% of the fishermen in the area instead of the 10% or less this clown caters to.  I honestly don't understand why they pay this guy every week.  I am also amazed at his ability to crack the 'fox lake' code and list the 'real' lake. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:  I tried to get a link to the Goshen News where I saw it, but the website did not have the article.

Offline chicagill35

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bottle Bass Guy
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2008, 12:22 PM »
Phooey on that guy!!!!  He probably golfs too on the weekends.
Jim

Offline Hermdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard, Die Happy
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2008, 12:28 PM »
What did he say. Can you post the article, cause I dont get thaT PAPER????????
   go to kpcnews.com click sports, then click outdoors. That mulligan guy is a complete TOOL too, what a whinnnner!!!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2008, 12:28 PM »
OK I pulled the article up. This guy is a complete fool. As most fishermen know the perch populations in many lakes are astounding. Unlike our great lake Michigan. I believe the 15 limit on perch has helped our struggling perch population out of this lake. I feel that the no limit on perch and gills are there for a reason. Once the fishery becomes adjusted than they might impose a creel limit on both perch and gills. Like Willow Slough has done. There has been a 25 limit on crappies for as long as I can remember. Maybe it would be nice to have a 25 limit on all panfish. 25 is usually enough to clean for a meal anyway. It is always fun catching 1 on every cast. I guess each of us needs to know his limitations.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2008, 12:46 PM »
I believe the 15 limit on perch has helped our struggling perch population out of this lake. I feel that the no limit on perch and gills are there for a reason. Once the fishery becomes adjusted than they might impose a creel limit on both perch and gills.

If they had controlled the commercial netting on lake michigan, it never would have needed a 15 fish per person limit on perch.  When the netters are taking them out by the millions, it is hard for any fish in any size body of water to sustain itself.

Ask polecat and riverscum how many times they have caught perch like that and I am sure they will tell you very few.  To hit them like that is a once every 10 years expericene.  I can promise you they have been out and caught none or very few keeper perch many times, so even if the limit were 25 and and they got there limit 3 times each this winter that would still be 150 perch taken.  Instead they got them in one trip.  There is no difference when or how you take them as long as you follow the laws.  If you catch them in 4 trips at 25 each trip or 1 trip for 100, it is still the same number of fish and as long as they are being eaten, enjoyed, and no laws were broken, I don't have a problem with it.

Offline chicagill35

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bottle Bass Guy
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2008, 12:52 PM »
Im sure hes gonna have a full message box by tonight... ;D
Jim

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2008, 01:04 PM »
If they had controlled the commercial netting on lake michigan, it never would have needed a 15 fish per person limit on perch.  When the netters are taking them out by the millions, it is hard for any fish in any size body of water to sustain itself.

Ask polecat and riverscum how many times they have caught perch like that and I am sure they will tell you very few.  To hit them like that is a once every 10 years expericene.  I can promise you they have been out and caught none or very few keeper perch many times, so even if the limit were 25 and and they got there limit 3 times each this winter that would still be 150 perch taken.  Instead they got them in one trip.  There is no difference when or how you take them as long as you follow the laws.  If you catch them in 4 trips at 25 each trip or 1 trip for 100, it is still the same number of fish and as long as they are being eaten, enjoyed, and no laws were broken, I don't have a problem with it.

Exactly.

People have blown me crap for keeping a few big bags of fish, and i say the same. So what if i kept almost all my fish in a handful of trips.  I don't get to fish everyday after work and keep 15-25 like a lot of guys. so i keep 100 in one day. same net result as the guy who keeps 15 every day of the week.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2008, 01:16 PM »
is he for real....sent my thoughts... might want to post THE PAPERS email link and lets all send some thoughts!!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2008, 01:18 PM »
is he for real....sent my thoughts... might want to post THE PAPERS email link and lets all send some thoughts!!

For anyone who wants to share their feelings with him

James H. Phillips can be reached at [email protected].
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2008, 01:28 PM »
Never argue with stupid people as they will just drag you down to their level and then kick your arse with experience......I mean his bosses e-mail the people who pay him........THE PAPER
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2008, 01:31 PM »
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2008, 01:53 PM »
I had to crack up at the article in the link above.  He takes a shot at iceshanty members for using a 'code' name for a secret lake so no one will know where they caught them, then he has a picture of his son with a trout at a 'nearby' lake.  He does the exact same thing week after week, shows a catch or kill, then says 'nearby'  or 'local' instead of naming the lake or section of river.  This guy has his own agenda and that is to belittle anyone that is not part of his trout club or that does not practice catch and release to his standards.  Wait until summer when he starts targeting bass tournament fishermen again. ::) ::)

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2008, 02:00 PM »
Well RiverScum & I went out last week and found alittle school of those "beer bottle" perch. Was the 1st time this year we hit Fox lake and it paid off for us. Here is a few pic's of what we got into. ;D :tipup:
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

I heard these 2 guys are still on top of the perch........LMMFAO

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2008, 02:14 PM »

Ask polecat and riverscum how many times they have caught perch like that and I am sure they will tell you very few.  To hit them like that is a once every 10 years expericene.  I can promise you they have been out and caught none or very few keeper perch many times, so even if the limit were 25 and and they got there limit 3 times each this winter that would still be 150 perch taken.  Instead they got them in one trip.  There is no difference when or how you take them as long as you follow the laws.  If you catch them in 4 trips at 25 each trip or 1 trip for 100, it is still the same number of fish and as long as they are being eaten, enjoyed, and no laws were broken, I don't have a problem with it. I hear you brother! and I agree completely
.I hear you brother! and I agree completely.

Offline no.co.fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2008, 03:37 PM »
Here is the link to the story.

http://kpcnews.com/articles/2008/03/14/features/columnists/james_phillips/doc47da73a68dae1496567767.txt
kpcnews.com has a comment site called the fence post that all can view. Everyone should tell them what we think of both of these clowns. (james phillips & don mulligan)
I going to cancell my prescription to this paper if they keep these guys on.

Offline icekingjoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2008, 04:14 PM »
I hear and understand what you guys are saying.  I don't agree with much of Mr. Phillips either, however I do think that as responsible caretakers of our sport that we should encourage ethics that promote the conservation of our sport.  I have no problem with keeping some fish (especially perch) to eat, but if everyone indulges too much, I dont think that it helps toward maintaining our fisheries and conserving what is there for others to enjoy.     ...Just my take!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2008, 04:40 PM »
I hear and understand what you guys are saying.  I don't agree with much of Mr. Phillips either, however I do think that as responsible caretakers of our sport that we should encourage ethics that promote the conservation of our sport.  I have no problem with keeping some fish (especially perch) to eat, but if everyone indulges too much, I dont think that it helps toward maintaining our fisheries and conserving what is there for others to enjoy.     ...Just my take!

I defer to those that are educated and paid to define what is an allowable limit that will keep the lakes healthy, allow for good fishing, and allow for the continuation of our sport for future generations.  Pollution, fertilizers, and sedimentation do more harm than any few fisherman do by keeping a bunch of fish.  Every lake has a carrying capacity for every species of fish present in that lake.  If a lake needs a limit, I prefer to leave it to the DNR to set the limit.  After all, they are the ones doing the surveys, collecting age data and have comparable numbers from previous surveys or similar lakes.  Unless you are educated in fisheries biology or work for the DNR, the rest of us form our opinions by what we read, see or experience fishing a certain lake.  In reality that gives us a very narrow view of the overall picture in that lake and often only considers one species and not the overall fishery in that lake.  Until the DNR sets a limit, I have no problem with people keeping keeper sized fish that have likely spawned at least 1 or 2  times by the time they are kept.  8-11 inch gills, 9-12 inch crappie, 10-14 inch perch have all had a couple years to pass on their genes. 

I always try to go by the saying, keep what you can eat (or give to others that can no longer fish, but like to eat them) and let the others go for another day.

Offline grubjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish-On - Share the Love
« Reply #20 on: Mar 14, 2008, 04:50 PM »
Ultimately, it is us who flip the bill on conservation.  Sometimes, you just have to ignore certain individuals, especially the ones who are jeolous of others. 
Tip-Up!  Just Playing
Grub Jigger,

Offline grubjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish-On - Share the Love
« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2008, 04:52 PM »
Nicely worded Wax Worm. 
Tip-Up!  Just Playing
Grub Jigger,

Offline chevy hillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2008, 05:04 PM »
i sent a reply to the web page, doubt it will get displayed, but to simply drag a guy threw the mud over a photo, and suddenly presume you know this person, and his ethics, thats just childish.

HB 8)

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 14, 2008, 05:13 PM »
I too have never liked this guy  >:( I get mad everytime i read something he has put in the Kendallville rag .

He is very one sided and i too am tired of seeing he son in the paper  >:(

Offline teardrop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2008, 05:36 PM »
I too have never liked this guy  >:( I get mad everytime i read something he has put in the Kendallville rag .

He is very one sided and i too am tired of seeing he son in the paper  >:(Okay: Where on this site are the secret codes? Been a member for awhile and you guys have been using secret codes, better watch it home land secruritys gonna find out and shut the site down.lol

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 14, 2008, 05:46 PM »
 I miss the old columns by Cecil Baird that actually provided useful reports and real information .....

So does Cecil still post on here. I know him from the taxidermy shows I used to go to back in the 90's. Cecil and his wife are great people, they both done allot for the Ind. Taxidermy Association. Haven't seen them since I stop going to the shows, he does one hell of a job on fish. The first show I ever went to. He mounted the state record Northern that was caught back in the early 90's and had it at the Taxidermy show in Ft.Wayne.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 14, 2008, 05:47 PM »
Im sure hes gonna have a full message box by tonight... ;D

I bet he is....

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline jamesdegitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 14, 2008, 07:22 PM »
If whoever is taking the perch out is eating all of them, then who the hell cares?  I would not take that many because I would not eat all of those fish.  THERE IS A REASON THERE'S NO POSSESION LIMIT!!!!!
I'm not getting skunked, I'm just eliminating water

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 14, 2008, 07:52 PM »
I just posted my nice remarks to his artical.  I suggest we all do.  Kepp it classy but keep it rude.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 14, 2008, 08:05 PM »
I bet he is....Here is the email I sent him....

To whom it may concern:

I find your article appalling and very disrespectful to fishermen. Unlike you and the rest of your anti-hunting/fishing friends. We fishermen and hunters are who pays for all fish stocking,DNR salaries,and anything that has to do with wildlife in Indiana.

Answer me this, who doesn't every once in a while go to a all you can eat restaurant and pig out....When the fish bite is on, we keep what we catch. It makes up for those days we get nothing.

Guys, before you respond to Mr. Phillips article, you need to understand something.  He is not anti hunting or anti fishing.  He fishes alot (for trout, steelies and other fish that will eat a fly) and also hunts alot of waterfowl.  He is not anti hunting.  His comments on percha palooza are just unfounded and not backed by anything but his opinion and likely inexperience with ice fishing for perch.  Let's not stoop to his level and toss unfounded accusations that he is with PETA or any other anti-fishing or anti-hunting organization.

If you want to get his attention, express your dislike of his comments, but don't accuse him of being something he is not.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.