Author Topic: Attracting Perch  (Read 6518 times)

Offline icefish2

• IceShanty Rookie
Attracting Perch
« on: Feb 23, 2007, 10:45 AM »
I fish in a bay that is  a large structureless bowl of about 30 feet. There are perch, but finding them is very difficult. I have tried working a jigging rap, to attract these small schools, but with little luck. Does anyone have a good way of drawing in these little guys?
Icefish2

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Attracting Perch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2007, 11:02 AM »
i would try multi-colored car lot flags  on a small anchor and lowered to the bottom. You really only need about a 6' section of the flags. I personally have never tried it but hear it works.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2007, 11:05 AM »
bounce your jig of the bottom create a ruckus and they will come in flying
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2007, 11:08 AM »
Chum with cooked minute rice soaked in baitmate !

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2007, 11:23 AM »
The first thing to do is to lower your spud or an anchor down to the bottom, and jack it around stirring up the mud and sediment, alas, a food source. It will not take long for the Perch to home in on the disruption. Fish very near the bottom after you disturb it. Next you need pointers on "holding" the Perch in the area. :)

Offline happy perch fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2007, 01:19 PM »
try about 2 bolied egg with paint on them lol

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2007, 04:07 PM »
How about some structure on a string?
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2007, 04:14 PM »
when i use to perch fish i'd use those huge muskie-size daredevils in a hammered silver on clear lakes, blaze orange on dark lakes, pump it 4-5 times real hard and let it sit for 15 seconds, repeat till they started coming in.  i've also had big spearing decoy suckers work very well.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2007, 06:12 PM »
Got a small 35ft deep lake like that near me, couldn't find any concentration of perch, usually 2 or 3 per hole. Couple 10/12 year old kids found an answer. Swimming in summer they found cold spots, bottom springs. They'd fish these areas in winter and most often do very well. allways wondered if it was oxygen related. May not be the answer to your lake, but worth remembering this summer for next year.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2007, 06:21 PM »
I fish them around structureless area sometimes too, and the best thing i have found it mucking up the bottom. I used to have a camera and even that seemed to help keep them in, and when they started to leave I would just bounce the camera in the muck haha  stirs up stuff good...

Offline kimball07

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • race,fish,and hunt
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2007, 06:27 PM »
fish for trout with expensive bait fish ;D, that usually does the trick here. ;)

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2007, 07:56 PM »
fish for trout with expensive bait fish ;D, that usually does the trick here. ;)
Had'nt thought of that, mans right!

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2007, 03:52 PM »
I fish in a bay that is  a large structureless bowl of about 30 feet. There are perch, but finding them is very difficult. I have tried working a jigging rap, to attract these small schools, but with little luck. Does anyone have a good way of drawing in these little guys?
Well this is basically for next year but you might want to consider “placing” some structure there yourself. If you have a GPS then mark where you place it and you have your own little honey hole. My state wildlife department uses old “fresh” Christmas trees, not the artificial ones, tied to a cinderblock to create structure in certain lakes.  Three placed in a triangle pattern within 10 feet of each other is all that is needed. Whatever “structure” you place make sure it will not pollute the environment after all you will be eating the fish. :thumbsup:
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2007, 05:30 PM »
try about 2 bolied egg with paint on them lol
Happy perch fisher..I hope you aren't doing this in Alberta...CHUMMING IS ILLEGAL in this province!!
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline icefish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2007, 06:42 AM »
Thanks for all the great ideas! The idea of creating structure seems most appealing. My biggest concern is my GPS accurracy. I have wass in my boat, but my older handheld does not. I have found it to be off as much as 50 feet!
Icefish2

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2007, 07:41 AM »
Handful of white sparkly course sand down the hole now and then. That will bring in perch some times. Don't think it's actually chumming.   FH
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline azz7772

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2007, 05:19 PM »
Thanks for all the great ideas! The idea of creating structure seems most appealing. My biggest concern is my GPS accurracy. I have wass in my boat, but my older handheld does not. I have found it to be off as much as 50 feet!

you will have to drill a bigger circle of holes then to cover the area

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2007, 05:43 PM »
 You could try crushed egg shells dropped down a few holes. Also you might want to use either a rattling lure, or a super action spoon to draw them in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.