Author Topic: Blind Jigging  (Read 1996 times)

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
Blind Jigging
« on: Jan 07, 2011, 04:38 PM »
I tried jigging for the first time yesterday with out a flasher and came up with 11 perch must be luck if theirs someone else who uses this method and has success message me on some helpful hints for even more success i dont see myself getting a flasher anytime soon just looking for general perch locations

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Blind Jigging
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2011, 05:37 PM »
Have a flasher and UW camera but if one has knowledge of where they're consistently hanging/roaming over the years, don't really need it. They may/may not be carried, punch a bunch of holes in the known area, fish it and stick'em

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:41 PM »
Have a flasher and UW camera but if one has knowledge of where they're consistently hanging/roaming over the years, don't really need it. They may/may not be carried, punch a bunch of holes in the known area, fish it and stick'em
I would have to agree with swift on this one.I target the same holes season after season and do good.Knowledge of the lake and contour is a must and sometimes i out fish the guys with the electronics  ;D. just have to keep moving with the fish,but not to far.

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:03 AM »
Thanks guys kinda like it the old fashion way

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:11 AM »
I still remember fishing methods without a flasher.   I always bring the slipbobers for back up.  Anyway as far as jigging methods goes.  I let lure hit bottom, do my typical pound the bottom first and followed with one crank of the reel handle and jiggle lure.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:23 AM »
I still remember fishing methods without a flasher.   I always bring the slipbobers for back up.  Anyway as far as jigging methods goes.  I let lure hit bottom, do my typical pound the bottom first and followed with one crank of the reel handle and jiggle lure.
It funny you said that because that's exactly what I did I just had a hunch they would be lower where there's warmer water

Offline FenDog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:27 AM »
Everyone pretty much covered it already. Structure, past experience and knowledge of the lake, etc.

* Fish close to the bottom.
      -Start 6"-8" off the bottom.
* Drill a bunch of holes.
      -I usually start with a straight line toward known structure like a drop off
        and keep the holes about an auger length apart (you'll get a good idea
        what the contour is like, kinds like playing battleship  ;D).
* Use an eye from the first fish you catch.
      -change it to a fresh one every once in a while unless the action
        is fast and furious.
* Move often.
      -If you don't get a bite in a minute or two go to the next hole.
      -When you get on the fish stay at the hole until the bite stops and
        then repeat above until you find them again.
      -Obviously go back to all the holes you've drilled, the fish will move
       around and you'll notice some produce consistently more than others.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:29 AM »
It does depend on water though.  I've had suspending perch in midwater.  More like roaming perch, hence the slipbobers.  I will go through jigging over the entire water column sometimes. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2011, 09:27 AM »
I agree with everything I've read here. I like to pound the daylights out of the bottom on the first drop, reel up once and make the lure dance, let it sit a few seconds, repeat, then start moving up the water column. I've caught those suspended perch as well many times in the past. I like swedish pimples and eye's, and occasionally add a short length of mono and a small jig tipped with a spike to the end, this can be deadly and doubles are very possible.

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:19 AM »
i went out the other day to jig some perch and wound up with a pickeral on a copper pimple tiped with a perch eye was the craziest thing ever awsome fight on a light action rod

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.