The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Chair for spearing  (Read 7582 times)

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chair for spearing
« on: Jan 15, 2015, 12:29 PM »
I had quit spearing when I moved to WI, but I'm going to be getting back into it since they allow non residents to spear.  When I used to spear it was never early ice, always in January when ice was over a foot.  I remember my neck and back would get really stiff staring the down the hole, which may have been worse since thicker ice limits your view.  Or maybe my decoy was too deep.  Back then I was thinking how one of those ergonomic chairs might work, the ones that put you in a kneeling position.  Those massage beds with the hole for your head comes to mind, but obviously not practical, but I keep thinking a laying position would be more natural. So anyways, or there people out there with this dilemma and are there chairs more suited for spearing?  I do have a VIO POV camera that is on 4'-5- cable which attaches to a unit with a screen.  I could situate it as such that it points down and I could watch the LCD.  But my field of view may be limited.  This camera does come with options for different battery supplies and can easily plugged into a 12v marine battery. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Chair for spearing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:00 PM »
There was a guy at the Brainerd decoy show that builds a padded chair that leans forward so you can look down the hole without straining yourself.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:16 PM »
So I can go visit Wisconsin and spear pike. But my buddy who lives there cannot? I would buy all the appropriate licenses etc.
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:38 AM »
"So I can go visit Wisconsin and spear pike. But my buddy who lives there cannot?"  Sorry, I'm confused.  Back when I moved from MN to WI in 2002, MN did not allow non residents to spear pike in the winter, you had to be a resident.  I don't know when this was changed.  Although I did buy my lifetime angler resident license before I moved, I don't think that meant I was a resident.  Although, back then it kind of did for a few years because they could not update my address to WI, so for a few years I was able to get deer hunting licenses at resident cost because my resident lifetime angler license prvented them from changing my address.  It wasn't until  2006 or 2007 that they were able to change it. 

JonPerry, thanks; I guess I could turn a chair around and use the back rest as a chest rest, or bend an old metal kitchen table chair.

Offline mwal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:02 AM »
Look up my dream chair on the net. A guy near New Ulm MN makes them for spearing. You are leaning forward over hole looking down hole. My sore back was limiting my trips. With the dream chair I stay as long as I want no pain.  It is stable have taken a nap in it can't fall off. Will never go spearing without it again.
Mwal

Offline mwal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:11 AM »
Residents and non residents can spear pike in WI  but for now the only legal place is lake superior.  So you would have to go to chequamagon bay by Ashland.  The bay does hold some large pike.

Mwal

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:28 AM »
Thank, that My Dream Chair is exactly what I was picturing in my head.  No online store, I guess I'll have to call or e-mail.  How much are they?  FYI, again, I'm not talking about spearing in WI. 

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:43 PM »
Look up my dream chair on the net. A guy near New Ulm MN makes them for spearing. You are leaning forward over hole looking down hole. My sore back was limiting my trips. With the dream chair I stay as long as I want no pain.  It is stable have taken a nap in it can't fall off. Will never go spearing without it again.
Mwal

yep, that's the guy.

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2015, 09:56 PM »
Mwal

Have you got a link for his site? I googled and there are a million "my dream chairs", but couldn't find any from Ulm MN?
Thanks!!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2015, 05:11 AM »
Nice looking chair!

WS

Offline mwal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2015, 05:00 PM »
the chair guy is Myron Isaacson  he is aware that his email does not work etc.  507-228-8270

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:29 AM »
DAPOS, http://mydreamchair.com/   It's just a one page site with no hyperlinks, accept for the manual.  But it has the guys phone number and non working e-mail address.  I'm not ready to actually purchase one yet, so if someone calls him I'd be curious to know what he charges for one. 

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:20 PM »
Thanks K2!!!!!!

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2015, 08:48 PM »
Well, I found an alternative until I call about that spearing chair. I have a weight lifting bench that adjusts for incline. I can lay on my stomach inverted on that end, or use the opposite where the elbow rest for arm curls, with the pad turned around.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2015, 11:01 PM »
I got an even better one, it's a chair designed for hunting and looks very similar to that 'My Dream Chair', but it folds up, has a strap and has adjustable legs. My friend is on their pro staff and he had a few with him while we were ice fishing and I told him about using it for spearing, or even jigging by sitting on it backwards. He was in awe and is going to let the sales rep know about it. 

You can do an internet search on 'Redneck Outdoors hunting chair', click images to see what it looks like and you will see it's in a reclined position.  I did take a few photos of my buddy fishing in it, but I will have to upload them to Photobucket.  But I'll see if someone can snap a photo of me in a dark house this Friday.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2016, 09:21 AM »
I never posted a pic of the chair I used when I went to Mille Lacs last year.  I used it the entire day and did not get a stiff back or sore neck. I can't say that about any other chair.  Each leg is adjustable for uneven ground. For spearing, I don't recommend leaning it too far back.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2016, 04:06 PM »
Looks real comfortable! Thanks for sharing!

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2016, 03:49 PM »
Actually, you can't lean it too far back, meaning you can't tip over on it, but raising the back leg higher puts the back rest a bit higher up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.