Author Topic: Marcum LX-5 Review  (Read 138019 times)

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Marcum LX-5 Review
« Reply #150 on: Jan 15, 2010, 09:44 PM »
Where can I find a place that has teh lx-5 in stock ?

thanks

I got mine from www.productsthatsave.c om  Jan. 4th
unit was $416.61
they gave a $5 discount to bring it to $411.61
then shipping was $18.64.
So delivered was $430.25

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #151 on: Jan 16, 2010, 11:02 AM »
Be careful with that website as a few people on here got screwed over from them.
Buy it from a brick and mortar store that has a website.
Ken                                          

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #152 on: Jan 16, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Be careful with that website as a few people on here got screwed over from them.

screwed over how??
I got mine right away and emailed the tracking and everything. I had not 1 problem.

Offline dirtydog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #153 on: Jan 16, 2010, 04:19 PM »
Bean,
That is what I was concerned about.  Any suggestions on who has them in stock ?  I shouldn't have waited so long.

Offline mapuzio123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #154 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:23 PM »

this web site is a rip off me and my friend ordered different time then the other one 2  weeks later called them e mail them no response my credit card was charged no response no showdown what a joke

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #155 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:03 PM »
this web site is a rip off me and my friend ordered different time then the other one 2  weeks later called them e mail them no response my credit card was charged no response no showdown what a joke

I ordered mine right online and didn't have 1 issue. Ordered it New Years Day night online and received the unit that Wednesday the 6th.
Here is the owners number from what I was given if u have issues.

Mark  708 337 2340. let me how it worked out.

Offline FeatherBender

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #156 on: Jan 24, 2010, 03:06 PM »
I ordered mine right online and didn't have 1 issue. Ordered it New Years Day night online and received the unit that Wednesday the 6th.

Is the unit you received the older 2000W model (as advertised and pictured with the embroidered front) or is it the new 2500W model?
I appreciate the feedback.

FB

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:34 PM »
Is the unit you received the older 2000W model (as advertised and pictured with the embroidered front) or is it the new 2500W model?
I appreciate the feedback.

FB

its the brand new 2500W lx-5.

Fishmon

« Reply #158 on: Jan 26, 2010, 06:25 PM »

I had the same experience.  I got an e-mail from "Mark" stating that they would credit my account in a day or 2 and they did not.  I reported them to credit card company and NYS Attorney General's office for fraud.  Stay away from this site and deal with locals or "Brick and mortar shops".  I only paid a few $ more for my lx-5 since place where I ended up ordering from offered free shipping.  Got it in 5 days and am very happy with it.

Would also note that Visa and Mastercard offer free protection from clowns like these guys (Products that Save).  Don't get sucked in for a couple of $ savings.

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #159 on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:58 PM »
wow, this was the 1st I have heard about this website being like this. I found it and ordered and had not 1 issue. Product was here lickitysplit. I also paid thru PAYPAL with my Mastercard.

Fishmon

« Reply #160 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:21 PM »
Got my lx-5 out on ice today and it worked great on crappies.  I would note the following in comparison to my Vexilar FL-8se:

Zoom feature on lx-5 is terrific, but as earlier post noted, it should default to bottom rather than top.  Much more practical and easier for perch and crappie fishing.  Not a big deal, but good observation by previous poster.

I don't like the 20'/40' selection in my case since most of the water I fish is in the 20-30 foot range.  I wish it had a 30 foot setting like my vexilar.  The zoom more than makes up for this however.

The battery supplied has a 7 amp rating whereas my vexilar had a 9 amp battery.  I used it for 5 straight hours in some windy cold conditions and it read 70% on battery indicator when done.  I hope this is not a problem for really cold days where the unit runs all day.  My vexilar never died unless I forgot to charge it.  Has anyone tried swapping out the battery for a 9 amp battery?  If so, please let me know.

Display is crisp and bright.  I was running gain between 2 and 3 in 23 feet of water.  Tiny jigs like a Marmooska should up easily, especially on zoom side.

I wish it fit in a five gallon pail like my vexilar.  I will end up putting it in a small storage container which will double as a table to get unit up off ice so I don't get a sore neck looking down at it all day.  I had same problem with vexilar and used 5 gallon pail for table.  Coincidentally, the small storage container fits in my Clam Scout better than the 5 gallon pail.  Sometimes you can solve you own problems!

Overall, very happy with unit.  Nice display.   Easy to get used to it.  I plan on trying it in deep water for lakers and will post what I find out.

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #161 on: Jan 28, 2010, 04:15 PM »
I wish it fit in a five gallon pail like my vexilar.  I will end up putting it in a small storage container which will double as a table to get unit up off ice so I don't get a sore neck looking down at it all day.  I had same problem with vexilar and used 5 gallon pail for table.  Coincidentally, the small storage container fits in my Clam Scout better than the 5 gallon pail.  Sometimes you can solve you own problems!

I sit mine on a 5 gallon fish bucket and on top I have 1 of those half moon cushion seats, so it sits on that and I put my fish in thru the open side. Works like a charm.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #162 on: Jan 28, 2010, 04:21 PM »
I also set mine on a 5 gallon bucket and I adjust the viewing angle to my preference. I always carry my Marcum by hand. It'll fit fine in my sled and my buckets already have fish, tackle boxes, rod holders, etc ... in them anyhow. I don't take any chances of my flasher falling out of my sled if it's in my hand ..... too valuable to me. I'd rather have the nice waterproof case over it fitting into a bucket anyhow.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline roverman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #163 on: Jan 31, 2010, 09:36 AM »
I put my LX5 in a Igloo Playmate Elite cooler for the ride out on the ice (I am not sure on the size), it fits in there perfectly! Has the button on top to push and the cooler top slides over and it opens.

Fishmon

« Reply #164 on: Jan 31, 2010, 06:18 PM »
 :)Will try the cooler trick.  Those things are tough and fit in my clam.  Thanks!

Offline mapuzio123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #165 on: Feb 05, 2010, 01:04 PM »

Mark  708 337 2340. let me how it worked out.
got an email from mark after two weeks saying its going to take a month before i get my show down i guess the web site is OK

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #166 on: Feb 07, 2010, 02:26 PM »
Have also learned to like this better than vexilar especially since they give u dual beam transducers on their without having to specify.  Wish they would have been around and more heard of instead of vexilar when I bought my vex.  Who wouldn't want a dual beam transducer compared to the single, they should come standard like that.  Wish they did have a 30' setting as the guy posted above.  Some newer vex's don't either.  Buddies all fish with those and they have 20 and 40 on the newer ones they bought.  Overall have been happy with mine also zoom is so much easier to see details and being able to move whereever u want is great.  Would recommend to anyone.

Fishmon

« Reply #167 on: Feb 10, 2010, 11:23 AM »
Update on "Products that Save".  For background - I placed an order for a lx-5 with them and they billed my credit card without having any in stock.  I questioned them on this and the "Mark guy" referred to in previous posts said he would credit me in a day or two.  It took over 3 weeks after numerous e-mails, etc.  Do yourself a favor and stay away from these guys.

Fishmon

« Reply #168 on: Feb 10, 2010, 02:41 PM »
Oops!  Forgot this was supposed to be an lx-5 review thread instead of a moan and groan about internet marketeers/pirates.  I am very happy with unit.  Got it out fishing for lakers in deep water and this is where unit really shines when compared to my vexilar Fl-8se.  I was running the gain between 2 and 3 in 70-80 feet of water and jigs show up easily.  The best part is the zoom feature where you can focus anywhere you want in water column.  I had mine set to bottom 20 or 40 feet which is perfect to see lakers race up off bottom or come in from side to wallop the jig.  Almost too much fun watching this thing.

Overall,  I would recommend this to anyone looking for a top quality flasher. :)

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here....fishy.....fishy
« Reply #169 on: Feb 13, 2010, 07:52 PM »
I didnt have a problem with products that save I ordered a showdown back in january i canceled it beginning of february (showdown shortage is not there fault showdown isnt making any this year cause of some problem they have at the company) called mark had my money back in about five mins ( payed with pay pal) ordered a Marcum lx-5 feb 5th they shipped it feb 10 I should have it this monday or tuesday feb 15,16

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here....fishy.....fishy
« Reply #170 on: Feb 13, 2010, 07:55 PM »
oh and yeah i will leave a review after i try my lx-5 out in this week i hope give it a true northern canada test ;D

Offline Steelhead71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Feb 14, 2010, 10:04 AM »
Thanks for all the input on the lx-5, made my decision easy & its on the way.

Offline Fishinkidd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #172 on: Feb 17, 2010, 06:42 PM »
Ordered mine a few days ago from Reed's. Anyone know how long they take to send it. They ship USPS I think, but I have no tracking number. Are Reeds Sporting Goods good to deal with?  I'm itching to get mine and try it out !

Offline roverman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #173 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:03 PM »
Reeds are first class, great service, you cant buy from a better place,period. They ship speede truck service youll have it in 2-3days max.

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #174 on: Feb 18, 2010, 12:43 AM »
Yeah reeds is awesome.  When mine shipped they sent me  a ups tracking notification.  You should call their stor and see if it has been processed yet.  They are very good to deal with....
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline Corporal Punishment

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #175 on: Feb 18, 2010, 11:26 AM »
Third time I tried my LX-5 was yesterday!!!!First time to much current for the cone to read lure,second time didnt work good cause I was fishing a drop off...

Third time was a charm,less current and flat....1 word "AWESOME",real easy to figure out the gain!!!!!! 8) But I did ge skunked..... >:(

One question though,when I put it on zoom why couldnt I see my jig on that side????

Offline QDAWG44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #176 on: Feb 18, 2010, 12:23 PM »
did you drag your zoom down to the bottom?     when you hit the zm button,  you have to hold the arrow down button and drag it down to the bottom on the right side of the flasher (whole water colum)  till on the left side the bottom shows up and your jig.  It will make a beep sound when you hold it down. 

Offline Corporal Punishment

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #177 on: Feb 18, 2010, 12:41 PM »
did you drag your zoom down to the bottom?     when you hit the zm button,  you have to hold the arrow down button and drag it down to the bottom on the right side of the flasher (whole water colum)  till on the left side the bottom shows up and your jig.  It will make a beep sound when you hold it down. 

No I didnt,thats the problem then!!!Will try it next time out,Thanks....

Offline Fishinkidd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #178 on: Feb 18, 2010, 07:22 PM »
Got my LX5 today! Ordered it on a Saturday Night, got it Thursday.  That was fast, now I'm excited to use it this weekend, wish me luck !

Offline mobey3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • clinging to my guns and religion...and fish!!
« Reply #179 on: Feb 18, 2010, 07:24 PM »
LUCK! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.