Author Topic: Marcum LX-5 Review  (Read 138020 times)

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Marcum LX-5 Review
« Reply #120 on: Dec 03, 2009, 11:02 AM »
Got the LX-5....as per the box, its the 2500 watt and the carry pouch has no embroidery, so I think I'm good. Bean, I owe you a shiny quarter ;D! Coffee's on me if we ever meet up....I'll send a line to Cabela's to advise them to perhaps ammend their ad copy.

Nice unit, came fully charged. I connected the positive terminal lead, the digital charger read out 100% charge, and I ran the simulator. Great colours and colour separation on the screen. I've disconnected the terminal lead now, pending the ice.......

Time to read the manual a few times and get familiar with the unit.

C'mon ice!

Chris

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #121 on: Dec 16, 2009, 01:38 PM »
Purchased a new LX-5 in the off-season and got my first chance to use it this weekend.  I have been ice fishing pretty hard for the last 15 years.  For all of those 15 years, I always had a Vexilar.  My first Vex was an FL-8.  I upgraded that to an FL-18 and about 3 years ago, I upgraded to the FL-20.  Was always very happy with the Vex and never had any problems with them.  I live close to their corporate headquarters and had stopped in there a few times for software upgrades and things like that.  Excellent service too.  So, why switch?  Some of it came down to things I read on this site and how happy guys have been with the Marcum units.  There were also some features of the Marcum that I really liked.  I also figured that I could sell the Marcum for what I paid for it if I didn't like it.  So after using the Marcum for about 12 hours this past weekend, I have some feedback for anyone that is in the market.  The first thing I noticed is that the Marcum unit is substantially quieter than the Vex.  I fished with a buddy that has an FL-18 and he asked me how they made it so quiet.  You can barely hear anything from the Marcum.  Not a big deal, but kind of nice to reduce the noise.  We had both units right next to each other and it was clear that the Marcum had a sharper readout.  I was really nervous about what sort of interference the two units would have as I have only every fished with a Vexilar, with guys that also have Vexilars.  I was shocked to see that neither of us had any interference; even though our ducers were only about 6 feet apart. I had more interference last year when both of us were fishing Vexilar units.  The main feature of the Marcum that caused me to buy it was the move-able zoom.  I was able to use this feature over the weekend and can tell you it did help me catch more fish.  I was fishing crappies and was mostly fishing the bottom, however, I did have some suspended fish come through and was able to move the zoom on the fly right up to where the fish were.  Really, really nice feature.  The other things I noticed was that switching the beam angle on the Marcum (standard dual beam on the LX-5; $100 option on the FL-20) was really easy.  The button to switch is right on the front of the unit and there is an indicator light that lets you know when you are in the "narrow beam" mode.  With my FL-20, the switch was mounted under the unit (ultra-pack) and there was no indicator on the screen to let you know which beam angle you had on.  The only way to tell was to lift up the case and look under the unit to see where the switch was.  As far as the case, I really like the Marcum set up.  I was also very skeptical of the little swing arm that holds the transducer.  I was very pleasantly surprised on how well that worked.  I was fishing with my hand auger (6 inch) and not having the big float in the hole was really nice.  Made it much easier to get fish on the ice.  Also nice to have a soft case and not have to try to stuff the styrofoam float into the case.  The case has velcro in all the right places to hold the case open when you are using it.  Has easy access to the battery to charge the unit.  Also has a clear window in the case that allows you to see the digital battery status display.  The way you charge the LX-5 is another reason to buy it.  The charger is very easy to use and provides excellent battery maintenance.  All you have to do is plug the charger in to the connection on the battery and plug it into the wall.  Even if you keep your Vex, look into this battery charging unit (can be purchased as a stand alone product).  Fantastic set up.  In terms of negative things about the LX-5; not much to say.  Based on the battery status indicator, I think it did use slightly more juice than I would have expected.  I fished with the unit for about 5 hours and the status indicator said I was at 70%.  One other thing I had to get used to was when I turned on the zoom.  I turned it on and figured out that the zoom was showing me the top 5 feet of the water column.  I had to move the zoom down to the bottom to see where I was fishing.  Not a big deal, but it was an extra step I wasn't expecting.  Overall, my 1st experience with the LX-5 was very positive.  I bought the unit primarily for the moveable zoom and it performed better than I expected.  My feeling is that you get more features for your money with the Marcum than you do with the Vex.  You can tell this unit was designed by guys that actually fish through the ice.  Everything from the features, to the case, to the battery charger are very well thought out and function very well.  I can't speak to durability and reliability yet since this is a new unit for me, but my first impression makes me glad I made the switch.  I know that the "best flasher" debate will rage until the end of time, but all I can do is provide you my experience as a hardcore Vexilar owner of 15 years. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #122 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:09 PM »
Just got the Lx- 5 yesterday.  It rocks.  It comes already charged!  What a relief yesterday when I thought I would have to wait to charge it a full charge before using it but much to my surprise I hooked up the battery and saw 100% on the read out.  Way to go Marcum!  Needless to say I went out right away to a local perch pond.  Remarkable just how crisp and clear it was.  And quiet, I didn't even think it was on at first.  I upgraded in a big way from my old fl-8.  So many more features and so much more power.  The zoom rocks and I don't think that it is that slow at all to adjust it up or down.  I could see if you were using it up to 160 like it says you can but the lakes around here don't even get that deep so not a problem for me.  I tried it today on steep drop offs on a dam and can't say that the transducer switch is that amazing but it was relatively shallow water <30 fow.  I could see it making a big difference in 60 + feet but I only noticed about 6" to a foot less of "dead water" so I don't think that's the most power full selling point.  Super Fine line is though.  Not so much on the zoom side but on the water column side for sure.  On the zoom side I would still say its sort of "blobbish", but looking on the other side you can definitely see each individual fish.  I found I was fishing in a nursery at one point this morning.  On on the zoom side of the display I saw one big red blob below my jig but the water column side 3-4 individual lines separating jig and individual fish.  So far 100% satisfied and very very impressed.  I do realize that comparing the lx-5 to an older model fl8 is like comparing apples to oranges but I feel like I'm driving a Caddi now were as before I was in a low grade luxury vehicle.  (poor analogy I know, but it works)
Thanks for all the reviews and helping my choose a sonar that I shouldn't have to "upgrade" for many many years
Tight lines
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:21 PM »
Purchased a new LX-5 in the off-season and got my first chance to use it this weekend.  I have been ice fishing pretty hard for the last 15 years.  For all of those 15 years, I always had a Vexilar.  My first Vex was an FL-8.  I upgraded that to an FL-18 and about 3 years ago, I upgraded to the FL-20.  Was always very happy with the Vex and never had any problems with them.  I live close to their corporate headquarters and had stopped in there a few times for software upgrades and things like that.  Excellent service too.  So, why switch?  Some of it came down to things I read on this site and how happy guys have been with the Marcum units.  There were also some features of the Marcum that I really liked.  I also figured that I could sell the Marcum for what I paid for it if I didn't like it.  So after using the Marcum for about 12 hours this past weekend, I have some feedback for anyone that is in the market.  The first thing I noticed is that the Marcum unit is substantially quieter than the Vex.  I fished with a buddy that has an FL-18 and he asked me how they made it so quiet.  You can barely hear anything from the Marcum.  Not a big deal, but kind of nice to reduce the noise.  We had both units right next to each other and it was clear that the Marcum had a sharper readout.  I was really nervous about what sort of interference the two units would have as I have only every fished with a Vexilar, with guys that also have Vexilars.  I was shocked to see that neither of us had any interference; even though our ducers were only about 6 feet apart. I had more interference last year when both of us were fishing Vexilar units.  The main feature of the Marcum that caused me to buy it was the move-able zoom.  I was able to use this feature over the weekend and can tell you it did help me catch more fish.  I was fishing crappies and was mostly fishing the bottom, however, I did have some suspended fish come through and was able to move the zoom on the fly right up to where the fish were.  Really, really nice feature.  The other things I noticed was that switching the beam angle on the Marcum (standard dual beam on the LX-5; $100 option on the FL-20) was really easy.  The button to switch is right on the front of the unit and there is an indicator light that lets you know when you are in the "narrow beam" mode.  With my FL-20, the switch was mounted under the unit (ultra-pack) and there was no indicator on the screen to let you know which beam angle you had on.  The only way to tell was to lift up the case and look under the unit to see where the switch was.  As far as the case, I really like the Marcum set up.  I was also very skeptical of the little swing arm that holds the transducer.  I was very pleasantly surprised on how well that worked.  I was fishing with my hand auger (6 inch) and not having the big float in the hole was really nice.  Made it much easier to get fish on the ice.  Also nice to have a soft case and not have to try to stuff the styrofoam float into the case.  The case has velcro in all the right places to hold the case open when you are using it.  Has easy access to the battery to charge the unit.  Also has a clear window in the case that allows you to see the digital battery status display.  The way you charge the LX-5 is another reason to buy it.  The charger is very easy to use and provides excellent battery maintenance.  All you have to do is plug the charger in to the connection on the battery and plug it into the wall.  Even if you keep your Vex, look into this battery charging unit (can be purchased as a stand alone product).  Fantastic set up.  In terms of negative things about the LX-5; not much to say.  Based on the battery status indicator, I think it did use slightly more juice than I would have expected.  I fished with the unit for about 5 hours and the status indicator said I was at 70%.  One other thing I had to get used to was when I turned on the zoom.  I turned it on and figured out that the zoom was showing me the top 5 feet of the water column.  I had to move the zoom down to the bottom to see where I was fishing.  Not a big deal, but it was an extra step I wasn't expecting.  Overall, my 1st experience with the LX-5 was very positive.  I bought the unit primarily for the moveable zoom and it performed better than I expected.  My feeling is that you get more features for your money with the Marcum than you do with the Vex.  You can tell this unit was designed by guys that actually fish through the ice.  Everything from the features, to the case, to the battery charger are very well thought out and function very well.  I can't speak to durability and reliability yet since this is a new unit for me, but my first impression makes me glad I made the switch.  I know that the "best flasher" debate will rage until the end of time, but all I can do is provide you my experience as a hardcore Vexilar owner of 15 years. 

thank you because I have been comparing and leaning 1 way then to another and UGH. But the LX-5 seems to be the route I will take. Now time to see where to buy..

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Dec 23, 2009, 06:14 AM »
On the ice yesterday, I found a reasonable depth on a shallow lake and set up camp. I'd been jigging for a while, watching the LX-5 when all of a sudden a red bar came out of nowhere and went right at my jig, seen as the small yellow bar. Hookset and match for the first perch of the day. I find I prefer using the SFL as opposed to the zoom, I think the zoom works better in deeper water columns.

C

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #125 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:56 AM »
Zoom combines SFL when you see a false bottom of fish is really beneficial to separate things.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jasonmeekhof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Dec 23, 2009, 10:08 AM »
I can second everything Holehopper said about his Marcum. I got an lx-3tc this year, first flasher ever. Last year I nearly bought a vex fl-18 ultra pack, glad I didn't. The adjustable zoom did it for me too. I love that feature. He was right on about how well this thing is designed and works. I only have about 3 hours on it so far, but I can't wait to get out again! BTW, my LX-3, after 3 hours, is still at 100%. Maybe because it has less power output than the lx-5.
Jason Meekhof<br />Muskegon, MI <br />www.myspace.com/underallow<br />

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #127 on: Dec 25, 2009, 11:33 AM »
to purchase one of these, are they all retailing at MSRP, I think $449.99? Or is there someone who deals on them?

Offline jasonmeekhof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Dec 25, 2009, 01:18 PM »
got my lx3tc for 289 delivered
Jason Meekhof<br />Muskegon, MI <br />www.myspace.com/underallow<br />

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #129 on: Dec 25, 2009, 06:15 PM »
to purchase one of these, are they all retailing at MSRP, I think $449.99? Or is there someone who deals on them?

$399 at Scheels

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:10 PM »
$399 at Scheels

which scheels? I just looked on their website for an lx-5 & all they showed was the marcum underwater camera

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #131 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:12 PM »
In the store unless they are sold out.

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:19 PM »
but which store were u referring too? I used to cover a bunch of Scheel's in my last job and have friends that are near them as well who can grab and ship me one.

Offline Coldfinger007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #133 on: Dec 26, 2009, 09:09 AM »
(Clipped) I can't speak to durability and reliability yet since this is a new unit for me, but my first impression makes me glad I made the switch.  I know that the "best flasher" debate will rage until the end of time, but all I can do is provide you my experience as a hardcore Vexilar owner of 15 years. 

I'm on my 5th yr with the LX-5.  Performs as advertised.  Colors are very crisp.  Never had a problem with the unit.  Same battery, fished hard most weekends from sun-up to sun-down, and have never run it down to less than 30%.  I charge it up right after I'm done fishing, as I don't like to leave the unit sitting idle with a partial charge.  After full charging, I usually unhook the (+) terminal to turn the meter off if I'm not going to be using it for an extended period (i.e., over the summer).  The zoom and SFL are great.  The only thing I wish Marcum would change - I'd set it up the zoom to default to the bottom of the water column instead of the top.  Not a big deal, but it would save a few seconds not having to position the zoom to the bottom (since that's where I spend 80% of my time fishing the bottom 5 feet).  The LX5 is my first flasher, and I will never go ice fishing without one again!  I've never used the Vex FL20 and I know many folks love theirs, but the Marcum LX5 is a really nice unit, and the carrying case is well built.

Offline PRSTEELLHEADER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #134 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:15 AM »
I've own my lx-5 for almost two yrs. Great unit until yesterday. About mid day the The flasher just starting going crazy. All the lights  started plusating eratically, I couldn't even tell where my jig was. I got home and charged the battery since it was a little low- thinking that mayb the problem, so I charged for a few hrs and when I turned it on , there was three flashing red lights that I never noticed b4. **censored**. This is very bad timing since our season just started.My unit is under warranty but by the time marcum gets it back to me the season may over.
   Has anyone have any suggestions on how to save the season.  I can't see me fishing with out my marcum. I may just have to buy another one, only problem with that is marcum has lx5 in back order. I'm screwed all the way round. Buy a vex??? I just may hav too. Any help would appreciated. Thks

Offline iceman_phil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:35 AM »
Johnny.....Sounds like it still may be a battery problem....Maybe you can stop over and hook your unit up to one of my batteries and see if the problem is still there.

Phil

Offline PRSTEELLHEADER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Dec 29, 2009, 11:18 AM »
Hey Phil,
  Thanks for the offer but chris came over last night with his battery
and it did the same thing. Not sure what to do, do u know where I can atleast
a used flasher or where near us carry flashers???

Offline PRSTEELLHEADER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #137 on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:01 PM »
Well, HAD TO DO- JUST ORDER A NEW MARCUM 430.00 SHIPPED TO MY DOOR 2-3DAYS...IVE BEEN TRYING TO GET A HOLD
OF MARCUM-LEFT 2 MESSAGES AND NOTHING.... NOT SURE WHAT THINK,ITS NOT GOOD THOUGH....ILL TRY THEM AGAIN 2MORROW....

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Jan 01, 2010, 04:29 PM »
Well, HAD TO DO- JUST ORDER A NEW MARCUM 430.00 SHIPPED TO MY DOOR 2-3DAYS...IVE BEEN TRYING TO GET A HOLD
OF MARCUM-LEFT 2 MESSAGES AND NOTHING.... NOT SURE WHAT THINK,ITS NOT GOOD THOUGH....ILL TRY THEM AGAIN 2MORROW....

For what its worth, I sent them a few messages with some tech questions, and I have never received a reply although people on this forum report having very good customer service when you phone in.

I've been using the LX-5 for this season, its working veyr well, and although I never owned a flasher before so I have no frame of reference to compare it to, I can state the following:

1. The battery holds a charge through a full, full day on the ice, even in extremely cold temps;
2. Once the transducer is in the water and you throttle up, the display comes on immediately and is easy to see in bright sunlight;
3. Once you adjust the gain, you can see your bait/jig on the display and it runs in real time, there is never any delay or lag in time between the movement you see on the screen of your bait and the movement you are performing when jigging;
4. Every fish I've caught I saw coming up to my lure and striking, very similar to the simulation mode that the unit provides (minus the audible alarm);
5. I've even seen fish working around the bait without taking it, easily the most maddening thing in the world as I sit on the ice talking to the LX-5 screen yelling, "C'mon! Its right there! Strike! Strike!" which usually accounts for other fishermen giving me a wide berth as they walk past my spot...........

Its an excellent device, I can tell its a winner by how well it performs on every level. I generally operate on a gain just to the point where my lure disappears when I don't move it, it only registers yellow when it moves. Once I have that dialed in, I put the device on Super Fine Line (SFL) as opposed to the zoom, unless I'm in deeper water. I like looking at the screen and knowing that what I see on the right side is what there is under water. I keep the transducer on the 20 degree wide angle read, and this seems to be best for general applications where there are no strange drop offs beneath.

Great unit, very happy with the performance so far, and I would like to see/try another model or another brand to be able to draw a comparison. I would imagine that most of the established brands out there make a pretty good flasher for the money, so when I was in the market, I applied the same principle to buying my flasher that I would apply to buying power tools; buy the best you can afford, it'll be appreciated in the years to come.

Take care all, and happy new year to everyone, tight lines and be safe,  ;)

Chris

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #139 on: Jan 01, 2010, 04:35 PM »

thank u, got 1 ordered as well!!!!

Offline Fins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Jan 02, 2010, 10:21 AM »
I used my lx-5 for the first time this weekend. I'm a little disapointed.I would have rather had my Fl-8. I was fishing 8'. with the gain just above 2 i could see my split shot but not my lure. I'm thinking about returning it. I don't like it.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #141 on: Jan 02, 2010, 11:19 AM »
I used my lx-5 for the first time this weekend. I'm a little disapointed.I would have rather had my Fl-8. I was fishing 8'. with the gain just above 2 i could see my split shot but not my lure. I'm thinking about returning it. I don't like it.
I don't have that problem with mine in 8ft of water, with or without weeds.  Did you play with the settings to see what you could do?  i.e. gain, narrow vs. wide beam, zoom and sfl?  I can't remember what settings I use in the shallows, I'll have pay attention the next time I'm out.

Offline Fins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Jan 02, 2010, 02:37 PM »
I played with the buttons. It just made things worse.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #143 on: Jan 03, 2010, 03:18 PM »
Well it appears to me the 2500 watt LX5 has more difficulty finding vertical type lures vs the older 2000 watt LX5.  Maybe there's no foundation for it, but that just seems to be my observations.
For more information read my MN nice journal

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #144 on: Jan 03, 2010, 03:21 PM »
Mine's the new 2500W - no problems with the "tiniest" of jigs.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #145 on: Jan 03, 2010, 06:00 PM »
I have both units and no issues in shallow weeds, I run mine at about 2 or less gain, NBT and SFL. Real thick weeds no unit will work well in. Try it in an area you know is clean bottom and see how it works.

Offline dfish17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #146 on: Jan 04, 2010, 01:46 PM »
I had to send my Marcum LX-5 to the company to get fixed.  When I am in 60 feet of water I can't pick up the bottom even on my 80 or 120 foot setting.  I am looking forward to getting it back.  Fished yesterday without it and it was not the same.

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #147 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:05 AM »
just got my lx-5 and pumped to get out there and use it! pretty simplistic playing with all the options so far before going live.

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Jan 10, 2010, 12:04 PM »
I was out yesterday. The unit is so powerful that I can adjust the gain to see my jig--a tiny #8 jighook with a Berkley maggot--drifting to the bottom, then see the bottom start to flutter as the bottom-holding fish take interest when I slowly bring the jig about a foot off the bottom, then watch as the bars of light around my jig progress from yellow to green to red and bang! there's a fish on the line.

Its great to get an exact depth reading too. I generally use lake maps that have depth indications, so I can better locate shoals. By drilling a few holes in the area, I can take a few depth readings and know if I'm on the shoal or not before I set up.

The LX-5 also seems to hold a charge for a very long time depsite constant use in very cold weather.

C

Offline dirtydog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #149 on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:40 PM »
Where can I find a place that has teh lx-5 in stock ?

thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.