Author Topic: fishing in really heavy current  (Read 1945 times)

Offline PabstBlueRibbon

• IceShanty Rookie
fishing in really heavy current
« on: Mar 09, 2013, 05:46 PM »
i fish in the saginaw river channel and the current gets really strong at times ive used bigger jigging rapalas and bigger swedish pimples and i cant really feel the lure on the bottom of my line because the current is so strong any suggestions on what i should use?

it doesent help that the walleye are very picky biters and the water is very stained and murky, ive sat out there for the past few days and only pulled one 14" walleye up had a few bites but really nothing. i want to try something that flashes a bit more my rapalas just aint cutting it anymore. ive heard of pk flutterfishes before but i really wouldent know where to start with them. t

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: fishing in really heavy current
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2013, 07:23 PM »
I'd think the flutter fish would "blow out" as there are a bit lighter. The PK spoon is much more compact and dense. From everything I heard and read a good old jig 3/4 to 1 oz on 8lb fireline  and a good size plastic with a thump-er tail should work.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline PabstBlueRibbon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2013, 07:33 PM »
we tried jigheads with walleye shiners on them, the people that we got that inspiration for caught a few nice size ones using that tactic, but that just seems like a foreign practice to me since ive never been into jigheads with plastics, but i have used bass assassins before and caught some nice size bass

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2013, 10:08 PM »
It's the same game. The bass assassin would be a good body to try. Also herd about using large Whistler jigs with bait. Finding the big whistlers in the problem.

When fishing with plastic use bigger that you think you need and don't let is sit on the bottom. Touch and snap touch and snap. I call it pop and drop but don't let it sit in current because it will snag. Also buy a bunch and don't be afraid to loose them. If you not snagging your not fishing.

Offline PabstBlueRibbon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2013, 07:30 AM »
oh yeah i caught a nice brown pike (tree limb)  yesterday in the channel, i thought i was going to be king of the world with what was on my line how embarrassing bad enough everybody ran over to me

i went and looked at some plastics last night, i dont know what colors to get ive always been on the losing side of picking colors for fishing some people say chartreuse with sparkles in it others say pink

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2013, 07:40 AM »
   Try a wedge style jig head with a swim bait or tip with a chub.with a stinger for short biters.

Offline PabstBlueRibbon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2013, 09:15 AM »

i wonder if something like this would work with a shiner or a plastic on it

ill look tonight when i go pick up some walleye assassins for the wedge style ones, now where specifically would you put a stinger on a jighead? cause it keeps falling off when i put one on lol 

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2013, 09:58 PM »
Should work with bait. It will not hold plastic. Plastic will slide down and block the gap. If you were to pull the spinner off and glue the plastic it would work.

Offline PabstBlueRibbon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2013, 11:23 AM »
tried it with a live minnow on it yesterday, to bad the ice was deteriorating way to fast for me to even get a bite lol it was like 50 out here yesterday now im stuck with a regular rod and reel lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.