Author Topic: My weekend....MORE  (Read 1392 times)

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
My weekend....MORE
« on: Feb 23, 2005, 11:58 AM »
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH man did I have a good weekend! But now I'm soooooo tired.......

Saturday I went coyote hunting.......no dice, they're apparently smarter than me. Bagged a squirrel for some fly tyin material.

Sunday we went out to Barton lake, no luck.....lots of cracking ice :pinch: :blink: scary scary. But it was like 22 inches thick so we were good. Got 2 peamouth......stupid lake!

Monday I made a quick trip to Eena with my buddy Keane - VERY slow.....I think it's starting to get fished too heavily......on the fly again....got a rainbow that I couldn't get through the hole!!!!! :o :o :o That fish was 5 pounds if he was an ounce!!! I had been too lazy to drill through the 20-25 inches of ice with my crapped out auger so we chopped open some old 6 inch holes........not nearly big enough :'( :'( :'( That fish peeled over 40 yards of line from my reel with his first run and took me for 2 more runs after that! I got him up to the hole but I couldn't fit his head through the chopped out hole (it was bout 4" in diameter). He kept backing down out of the hole and I was trying to get my buddy to gill him but we couldn't even get the top of his head out of the water!!!!!!! Dammit all!!!!! It's ok he'll be there next time.

But Tuesday was the day......I hiked into my new secret spot and no I'm not saying where it is! :-X It's a lake I'd never tried before and it was one hell of a walk. Took me over an hour to get in :-\ It was worth it! ;D I got 8 brookies and 2 rainbows, kept 2 brookies about a pound each...........and one rainbow that was 27 inches long.......now you'd think a fish that length would go like 3-4 pounds but all the fish were really skinny......not eating well......I didn't put him on a scale but I think he would have been 2 pounds. I just drilled a new hole off a different point and set my rod between 2 pieces of ice.....it fell over. I thought "Oh damn I didn't set it in the ice very well." WRONG! I set it up again and was kind of startled when it made a beeline for the hole!!!!!! I wish I would have had a camera cause the colours on him were just fantastic.......bright red all the way down both sides......beauty of a fish.......cut him up and ate him for dinner! ;D ;D I want to go back but the walk almost killed me last time.....maybe sunday......wish I would have had the camera :'( Anyways I better get back to work here......later dudes
KRIS

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Re: My weekend....
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2005, 07:48 PM »
Ahh come on PGKris you young pup. My 67 yr old buddy walks into that lake with great ease. An hour is no problem for him. Would you like a little cheese with your wine ::)
Sounds like you had a good time though. I have also been into a local lake that takes an hour to get into. The fish are really long and slender and taste like mushy cardboard.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
Re: My weekend....MORE
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2005, 10:33 AM »
Went back in........hehehahahaah aa I love it......I can catch brookies all day in these crazy lakes. I got 12 brookies on 2 lakes and one 18'' 2 pound rainbow. Big female all full of eggs. Biggest brookie was 15'' and a bit more than a pound. Lots of little stuff. Got checked by the fish cops :D :callcops: Kinda wish I would have had a dingy to try out your 2-hole theory Terry ;D :P
I'm sore right now I tell you. Carrying that f-ing auger around all day dang near killed me. Left the house at 6am was drilling holes by 7:30 and catching fish by 7:41. I like it!!!!! I was home by 5:45. I think I did too much hiking and not enough fishing :-\ Oh well it's good for me. Anyways back to classes for me
KRIS

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Re: My weekend....MORE
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2005, 10:14 PM »
Suck it up PGKris

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum