The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Best spark plug for auger  (Read 5425 times)

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
Best spark plug for auger
« on: Jan 05, 2007, 12:13 PM »
I am kind of unschooled when it comes to engines and that sort of thing but I wanted to change out my old spark plug on my older 2 cycle Jiffy Auger.  Is there a difference between the brands of spark plugs and which one do you guys feel is the best for an auger?

Thanks
Walltrout

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline tinboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing rules!
Re: Best spark plug for auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2007, 12:38 PM »
Can't go wrong with what's recommended by the manufacturer....that being said, I tried several differant brands a couple of years ago just for the heck, and can't say I saw any real differance. Make sure it's gapped correctly, and the boot is secure.    ( yeah, I had some time on my hands.....)
Gregg

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2007, 02:03 PM »
I second what TB said. I had a buddy who used one that was cloooose but no cigar! It was too long and it was getting beat by the piston. Make sure it is a direct cross if not the original. You may be able to go hotter but that may be better answered by someone on this site that knows better. There seems to be alot of small engine mechanics on this site from up North. I stick with the OEM.

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2007, 02:18 PM »
if you can still read the labeling on your old plug....stick with the same thing.  If you can't read the print on the plug, take it to a small engine shop and give them the info on it. They should be able to hook you right up.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2007, 08:15 PM »
Bosch WS7F or NGK6.

Offline Perch Master

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish with a Vex, or get skunked like the rest.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2007, 09:37 PM »
Jiffy 3 HP legend: NGK B4LM with synthetic oil in the gas......if it works in frigid Saskatchewan, Canada I assume it will work anywhere.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2007, 10:11 PM »
My jiffy auger starts in two or three pulls with an NGK plug. With an Autolite or Champion plug it is more like five or six pulls. I run NGK plugs and Amsoil in ALL of my two stroke engines with Very good results.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2007, 05:42 AM »
My father's jiffy still has the origonal plug in it and that is over 20 years old now. Never had a problem and it starts right up in less than 3 pulls. My jiffy is 4 years old now and the plug has never been out of it. I honestly don't think I even run my auger enough to wear out a plug. If you keep your fuel mix right and don't prime the thing too many times, you should never have a problem.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2007, 08:47 AM »
Any brand will be OK...but keep this in mind :
Most equipment (small engines) come with a particular spark plug in it because that engine manufacture can buy from that spark plug company at a very reduced price. I have heard reports of 20 - 30 cents per plug. The advantage to the plug manufacture is that the customer probably will replace with the same brand of plug . This can be profitable many fold during the life span of the piece of equipment.
Now for my recommendations... (over 30 years of small engine experience)
#1 best brand of plug...Bosch
all other plugs fall in as ... OK
The plug we see the most problems with ...Champion

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2007, 02:05 AM »
Well I took the old one out and went to the parts store and told them to replace it with anything other than a champion. Turns out they only had one brand the would work. It was a NGK which sounded good to me from the responses I read here.  Eveyone thanks for the help.

Walltrout.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline shaun_300

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2007, 09:33 AM »
I run NGK's in everything, auger, sled, chainsaw, everything. Can never go wrong with NGK. ;)

Offline mech12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2007, 08:32 AM »
  in the shop i run a ngk bpmr4a  in all the 2hp augers.  in the 3 hp i run champion rj19lm. thats only because i rarely get 3 hp in here.  with champion plugs the number signifies the heat range. the higher the number the hotter the plug.  i think most people would agree that the 3hp tec are stubborn. the correct plug for the 3hp are a j17lm. with ngk the lower the number the hotter the plug.

trapperdirk

« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2007, 02:29 AM »
Always have spare plugs for eveything especially my augers  and I think NGK . I have spare for bike,sled, outboard and my jiffy auger but lost track of needing plugs with opti2 at 100-1 and you will find same with amsoil  .I'll get right one for nils too and always the plug is where I start when looking for small motor issues . ;)

TD

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:35 AM »
I agree with TD. Usually when I have a problem with a small engine starting hard or not starting, I replace the plug and it usually takes care of it. My engines get maintained on a regular basis also,
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:01 AM »
Unreal results after changing the sparkplug. Both my brother in law changed the plugs on our Jiff's to NGK and the results wre amazing along with having a good mix for oil. We drilled through ice yesterday like it was nothing. 2 ft of ice that is. It pays to have the right plug. Thanks guy's for the advice.
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.