The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: spoon augers  (Read 2833 times)

muleskinner

spoon augers
« on: Dec 19, 2004, 06:59 AM »
hey all...wondering if anyone knows how to sharpen an old spoon auger...i know...its a nastalgia thing k!

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
Re: spoon augers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2004, 09:50 AM »
I know that they did make a sharpener for then when they were popular.  It was about the size of a hand held pencile sharpner and it workrd like some of the sharpeners now that have a V shaped carbide steel notch in then.  This one only had the carbide on one side so it only sharpende on side (you had to run it in the correct direction each time.
My advice is to hang the thing on the wall with other mid-evil tourture devices and get a lazer ;D
Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2004, 09:57 AM »
I agree with dogfish, those things were hard to sharpen and hard to keep sharp. Your money would be better spent on a lazer auger, you will never regret after using it, or spring for the best a nilsmaster.

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2004, 11:48 AM »
never heard of one of those if ya have a pic. could ya post it

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2004, 01:34 PM »
I always thought they cut better than an auger type drill if they were sharp.  I also like how easy they were to get started on really "hard" ice.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2004, 01:56 PM »
There may be some oldtimer somewhere at a baitshop that could help you, otherwise hang it up proudly, that's where mine is. They did work as good or better than the early Moras when sharp up to 12" or so, but they needed to be re-sharpened every 100 holes or less. Also didn't handle any drops or excessive pressure on the tip. Once the shape was gone, even if sharp, they were a bear to use.

Offline daffydone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just gotta find some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2004, 05:54 PM »
a buddy of mine still uses one, he's 30 years old and swears that it's the best thing since he invention of the wheel.  he likes it better than my mora. he uses a grinder to sharpen his spoon.
if your not walking on water, then you're not icefishing!

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2004, 06:19 PM »
I inherited one about 20 year ago and never tried to use it. From the way it looks the only thing it was better than, would be chopping a hole in the ice with a spud or chain saw.

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2004, 07:46 AM »
I used to use a file on mine.  It worked but had to be touched up occasionally. Try to copy the original angle.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2004, 11:39 AM »
used to use a fine india stone, but have to make sure you keep same angle as on the spoon, and BE CAREFULL, it's easy to cut yourself in the process and if i remember right, you only work on one side. i think though, the other guys are right, buy a lazer or nils masther.
good luck,
icejohn

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.