The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: augers  (Read 2615 times)

Offline shillins24

• IceShanty Rookie
augers
« on: Dec 20, 2004, 03:12 PM »
I'm a newbie to the ice fishing world and was wondering how many people use hand augers opposed to a power auger? I really dont have the money for a 350.00 power auger. Does anyone that uses a hand auger, run into any problems? thanks

Offline dxbricks

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: augers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2004, 04:58 PM »
I have a 6" and an 8" moro but when the ice gets thick I use the portable drill with the adaptor from I bought on Ebay..no problem doing 15-20 holes in a foot of ice with one battery.(have two)..Somebody here could probably put out the details on the fellow who makes them.Well worth the $$$.

Keith

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2004, 07:48 AM »
I use an 8” Lazer, hand-auger... and it works great... BUT, it is quite a work-out once the ice gets thick which in turn will limit the amount of holes you drill. Last winter near the end of February, the lake we were fishing had 20+ inches of ice and I was drilling about 6-8 holes a trip.

The diameter of the cutting blade makes a BIG difference. The one guy that goes with us targets panfish exclusively... he uses a 4” hand auger and the thick ice doesn’t seem to bother him nearly as much as it does the rest of us.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2004, 07:59 AM »
I have a 7 and 8 inch Mora that I use first first ice.  Once the ice gets about 6 inches or more I break out the gas auger.  These are fine augers for first ice, but if I was going to use a hand auger all winter, especially when the ice gets to be over a foot, I would go with a Lazer auger.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline groum

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2004, 08:23 AM »
The adapter is the icekicker.  I bought one off ebay.  I am getting a new drill this winter so I cannot say if it works or not.  Here is the link.
http://users.adelphia.net/~rodchilcott/ 
the guy that makes them is great and will answer any questions just e-mail him.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2004, 09:48 AM »
Ha Shillins, I just asked kinda the same questiuon last week. Everyone seems to think that the laser auger is the ticket so I just bought a 5" hand auger. Thought I would save my money and buy a vexlar  ;D. I would realy like to spend a little time on the ice with someone who has one before I decide what to buy. I'm from juniata county so if any fellow shanty members are listening drop me a line. Thanks Jim :)

Offline mjc2799

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2004, 11:58 AM »
had been using a hand auger for the past 5 years or so ... the only thing I have done to mine in repairs is touch up the blades a bit ... this year i sprung for a gas auger simply because of health conditions it will be easier for me to drill holes with a gas auger then a hand auger .... i hope you find what your looking for in a auger and catch many a fish

mike
Git - R - Done !!!

Offline Fetters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2004, 01:18 PM »
I guess you could say I have the best of both worlds 4"Mora, for thick ice ,and a 8"Mora for thinner ice on gas restricted lakes also a strikemaster laser 2000 gas auger for lakes that allow gas motors

Offline dxbricks

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2004, 02:44 PM »
Thats the one"Ice Kicker"..Used it all of last year.  great attachment,You will be surprised on how easy and quick it makes drilling.

Keith

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2004, 03:38 PM »
guys good info and thanks for the tip for the hand augers by the way i bought an 8" hand augar last year and had no problems just start to get tired after a few holes in thick ice but thats why you take a buddy and let him take a turn or 2 useing it ;) ;D

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2004, 09:39 PM »
Used an 8 inch hand auger all last year in 20 inches of ice, gives you a good workout but was relatively easier than I though it would be. Just remember keep your blades razor sharp and keep fastening screws super tight, checking them constantly. Personally I recommend replacing your blades rather than resharpening them unless you have them done by an experienced professional sharpener. The degree angle of the sharpened edges is extreemely important.  Your auger should shave through the ice when sharp, will start chipping through when getting dull...

Offline g3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • life is good!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2004, 01:37 AM »
i made an adaptor for my drill,used it all last year.works grat with my drill!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2004, 06:40 AM »
I used an 8" mora hand auger for a couple years, then last year I bought a 6" nilsmaster hand auger. It costs more, but was worth the extra money(in my opinion). I have an 8" eskimo barracuda power auger that I rarely use because the nilsmaster cuts so easily and is easier to transport. I've cut up to 75 to 80 holes a day with it and was just barely sore the following day.
Ken                                          

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.