Author Topic: ice fishing -- brown trout feeding activity  (Read 3353 times)

therm66

ice fishing -- brown trout feeding activity
« on: Feb 18, 2004, 01:41 PM »
Does any one have any idea how often Brown trout feed?

I'm asking because I found a nice spot Ice fishing that I've hooked into a nice size brown at least twice -- Lost him both times.   The hits came three days apart.  I fished both days in between the hits as well as the day after the last hit -- with no action at all. 

During the winter do Browns eat everyday or only a few times a week?   

Offline salmotrutta

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ice fishing -- brown trout feeding activity
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2004, 02:56 PM »
Browns will feed everyday.I don't believe the early,early morning bite is that important with Browns.Actually late morning seems better to me(8 am to 10 am).

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2004, 08:16 PM »
Browns feed best in the early morning and evenings, especially larger ones. You can still have decent action throughout the day for brownies if you over them.
Another thing is I have never found belief of browns to be smarter than other trout to be true. All big trout are smarter than smaller ones. But in general, trout are aggressive predators, and browns, especially smaller ones, can often be found in shallower water and tempted with faster presentations. Browns seem to like rocky areas that hold a lot of baitfish. Finding the baitfish is one of the best ways to find the trout.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2004, 04:22 PM »
Brown trout are pretty active under the ice, most of the time I find them  right under the ice in anywhere from 5 to 30 feet of water.. They have great eyesight  and can be very picky at times, for instance 2 weeks ago I couldn't get one to bite unless I had a shinner on 3" or smaller thats why I alway put a little variety out when fishing for them...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

therm66

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2004, 09:27 AM »
****  UPDATE ****  Finally Got Him!!!    Kind of a neat story that goes with it.  I was ice fishing after work last night with a 3" shiner minnow on a tip-up.  My tip-up flag went off but when I got to it and pulled my line up nothing was there and my bait was gone.  I walked over to my bait bucket and put on a new shiner and dropped it back down the hole.  As soon as I dropped it in I felt the line pulling harder than it should from just the bait.  I let the line run through my hands for a few seconds and then jerked it and felt a strong tug.  To my surprise I had a nice Brown on the other end (22").  He hit the bait right under the ice as soon as the minnow hit the water.

Offline salmotrutta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2004, 06:10 PM »
AWESOME!You are the man.Persistance pays off my Brown trout brother.

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2004, 07:16 PM »
nice
Anthony

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:57 AM »
good job, next year, you'll get the big ones
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2004, 08:59 PM »
Browns and trout in general are about the same to catch through the ice. (excluding lakers) Premium depth is anywhere from 10-25 ft. In the morning they seem to suspend and that's when most people catch them but later in the day you can find them in the deeper (20ft-25ft.) of water and they are on the  bottom. Tempt them with slower presentations.

remember, they will suspend and be in shallower water earlier in the day, but later in the day (11 am on until afternoon bite) they will be in 20-25 ft. of water and on the bottom.

They are easy to catch all day if you stray from the normal, because they just don't stay shallow always like many people think. That's where most people go wrong. Follow my advice for consistent success.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.