Author Topic: Nice gloves AKanders!  (Read 952 times)

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
Nice gloves AKanders!
« on: Feb 01, 2007, 11:14 AM »
I noticed the gloves you have in the picture holding that lake trout, How do they work?  What are they called?  any advice about them? They look like they work good.  I wanted something like that for christmas but didn't get them.
Thanks a bunch,
Jake

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
Re: Nice gloves AKanders!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2007, 01:45 PM »
FJ-

I can't give you an exact name for the gloves, but they were about 20 bones at SW in Anchorage, although I saw the exact same pair at the Army and Navy store downtown for about 5 bucks cheaper.  They are great for the level of dexterity they give you, which I like cuz I often will adjust the drag several times when bringing in a fish of decent size, and they are also great when the weather is blamy.  HOWEVER, the palms are deerhide leather, which when they get wet will freeze the bejeezus out of your hands and stiffen up something fierce very quickly in cold temps.  I was wearing the gloves under some big mitts I had and as soon as the fight was on, the big mitts got tossed to the side.  All in all, they are nice gloves, but I really was disappointed the first time I grabbed a fish out of the hole and my whole palm soaked instantly.  I saw a pair of carhartt gloves at the Army Navy that claim to be waterproof, about 30 bones, but with the insulation and the nylon shell, they are a bit bulkier than the gloves I have in the photo.  See link below:

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=54235&langId=-1&categoryId=10904#

We will see what happens.  I am starting to wear the right index finger and middle finger out of those gloves (they got used to change brakes and rotors last month in the cold) but I think they have a few more fishing trips in them. 

Good to hear that you and your wife are hitting the Burbot on Big Lake!  I hope to get into some of them this weekend.  I may be taking my fiance with since my partner backed out, but she is not much for the all day trips.  We will see!

Cheers!

J :tipup:

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2007, 02:01 PM »
thanks for the info Jake, congrats on the engagement, I got married last march. Its so hard to find a decent pair of gloves for icefishing that keeps your hands dry and warm but arent bulky.

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2007, 03:09 PM »
Thanks for the congrats!  We are gettin' hitched back in MN this August, with my bach. party in the boundary waters canoe area fishing for walleye and pike!  Be lookin for ya in the chat today.....

J

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.