The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Falling through the ice  (Read 3423 times)

Offline wyolipripper

• IceShanty Rookie
Falling through the ice
« on: Feb 22, 2006, 07:51 AM »
I have never fallen through the ice,  but would like to hear some stories.

hali-man

Re: Falling through the ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2006, 08:03 AM »
I've been through twice this year. It really isn't something you want to try for the fun of it. The first time was at night and it scared the hell out of me. I was being pretty stupid (I knew there were springs in the area), and luckily was able to push myself right back out. That was over 15-20 fow. The second time was close to shore and kind of funny, but still very cold...
Be smart, and always have someone with you at night!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2006, 05:15 PM »

Well I've done  it in the rivers in Sublette County and it was when they were stilll partly iced-over but you could walk out on it and cast into open water. It's not worth it, you get wet and cold  :(, your friends laugh at you  and you have to stop fishing. :-[ I don't do it any more. I'll tell you what I've heard and seen though and that's  this'; a lot of people put 4-wheelers and cars in this year, 4 wheelers from jumping pressure-ridges and cars over warm springs
                             Thee LT  ;D ;D ;D  :tipup:

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2006, 05:43 AM »
two years ago i had one of the most action-packed seasons ever on jackson lake, and didn't want it to end.  i continued fishing into april until one day when i went out by myself and walked across a mile-wide channel to some islands out in the middle.  the ice was perfect on the way out, but the day turned out to be so warm that i figured i had better head back...  not early enough.  as i headed for the island for easier walking, the ice along its shore broke and i got soaked up to my neck, touched off of bottom and drug myself out.  when i left the island to start on the trip across the channel, i broke through again.  after the mile trek back to the home shore, i fell in a third time.  luckily it was a balmy day.
   early last year, on my first trip onto jackson lake ice, i walked out onto the lake immediately above the dam where people had been walking and fishing before me, but i still should have thought about the moving water cutting under the ice and being flushed through the dam.  i hit a small area of thin ice, and dropped through without getting close to touching bottom, and once again, with lady luck on my side, pulled myself out and got right in my car for the shivering ride home, with my tail between my legs.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2006, 04:55 PM »
.....and unless one wishes to experience falling through first-hand, one should exercise caution
at South Cove on Ocean and off of LOng Point...warm springs, thin ice, everywhere else is a good 12 inches. Goose Knob is a  mudhole.
                LT  will be there if anyone wishes to join him at Long Point  ;D

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2006, 10:36 PM »
Well, it's gettin' that time of year again...  It's odd, during this month last two years, the ice has dwindled down to ten inches or less, but this year, we still got three feet, give or take, in all of our lakes in the Jackson region.  That just means more trophy lake trout fishing to me.  Let it last, let it last, let it last, oh Fishing Gods!

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Well sure enough, it happened...  I got greedy when we finally got out to the hot spot after a long walk.  Before I dropped my lines in the mack holes, I decided to attempt to walk in towards the shore where a bunch of rocks had melted the ice, so that a ten-inch gap showed the prime brookie shallows below; last weekend I caught a fatty brookie out of that same spot, so my mouth was watering again.  after hearing some cracking and hesitating, I decided to press forward anyway... crash, all the way up to my armpits.  The sun hadn't even risen yet, so it was a long 45-minute wait shivering my ass off, but I warmed up right when it did, and had a great day of fishing with my bud SpudBar, landing a ton of 20 inchers, and then one nice 26 incher.

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2006, 05:31 PM »

Hey HipRipper, if you want to find out about falling through, go ice fishing this weekend? be sure to leave your gear on the bank and let somebody know were you are going!

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2006, 06:16 PM »
 O ya I almost forgot, take a long rope, and tie one end to a tree, and the other around your leg, then maybe when I'm trolling next summer I'll hook you, and I'll be doing a little (WyoHipripping), O-Ya GET SOME.

Offline wyolipripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2006, 06:56 PM »
I think I'm too cautious to be falling through the ice.  I fished the gorge with 6 inches of ice and i was ready to run for shore.  The thinnest ice I've fished on was at new fork with 2".  I didn't get too far from shore.  ANyways, everybody be safe this weekend if youre headed for the ice. 
lipripper not hipripper

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2006, 07:44 PM »
Hey lipripper, anyone can fall through! The second you dont expect it, down you go!
Its pretty hard to run for shore when you are up to your neck in ice water. :o

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #11 on: Apr 30, 2006, 08:54 PM »
You gotta be pretty stupid not to expect it when you hear the ice cracking the way it did before I decided to walk further in toward shore...  if in doubt, retreat, and live to fish another day.

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 04:11 PM »
I think I'm too cautious to be falling through the ice.  I fished the gorge with 6 inches of ice and i was ready to run for shore.  The thinnest ice I've fished on was at new fork with 2".  I didn't get too far from shore.    
 hipripper
Well, if you lost some weight, and didn't pig out at El-gordidos every day for lunch, you might not have to worry about Falling through. Plain and Simple HipRipper!

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 2007, 04:19 PM »
lipripper not hipripper

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 02, 2007, 09:27 PM »
I went through once a few years back.I knew I was on bad ice so I had my ice spikes in my hands.If not for them I wouldn't be here telling you of my cozy adventure. I used my spikes to pull myself out but had carharts on which will hold alot of water.. Once I got out I had a nice warm walk back to my truck as the wind was blowing like it tends to do here in wyoming. Anyway I figure if a guy goes out enough his chances of falling through are pretty good. Moral of story is wear your spikes around your wrists..Good luck this year and be safe

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 03, 2007, 05:34 PM »
I went through once a few years back.I knew I was on bad ice so I had my ice spikes in my hands.

best bet stay off bad ice
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #16 on: Oct 03, 2007, 05:36 PM »
Really?
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 03, 2007, 06:32 PM »

Offline madpistoleer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 03, 2007, 06:33 PM »
Last year my leg went down a 10" hole and filled my boot, does that count? ;D :roflmao: :roflmao: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:
Remember! 'I' before 'E' (Except in Budweiser).

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #19 on: Oct 03, 2007, 07:05 PM »
Probably a little sore after that? ;)
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.