The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Sign of the times  (Read 1441 times)

Offline LEN F

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sign of the times
« on: Nov 26, 2023, 12:26 PM »
I'm in SE Pa and the last few years have not been very good for ice fishing. I think a lot of folks in and around this area are getting tired of wishing for safe ice and never really getting it. Scanning FB Marketplace and a few other "Sell your stuff" sites it looks like there are many people selling out their ice fishing equipment.  Everything from Huts, Drills, Tip-ups and other stuff. It looks like they are just "throwing in the towel" and giving up. Last year was a real warm one and I think that it may have really disappointed a lot of people. I have even considered it but will hang on to my ice fishing gear and hope for better colder winters in the local lakes. Marsh Creek, Ontelaunee , Blue Marsh, Struble, Hopewell, Scotts Run and a few others. I have my stuff all prepared for a better upcoming season and ready to go! Hey, it's gonna be a good one this year (I hope) Stay safe out there on that FIRST ICE wherever it may be.
I have the burning desire to go fishing although I know, that if I never catch another fish, that I have caught enough fish!

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
Re: Sign of the times
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2023, 06:56 AM »
Stopped making my annual trip to PA to ice fish a few years ago. Couldn't count on reliable ice south of I-80 anymore.

Couldn't sell my gear in PA, no takers.  Dropped it all off @ Goodwill.

Now spend my time/money fly fishing in AR in Jan & Feb.

Wish I could still ice fish the lakes of my youth, but that's pretty much impossible now...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2023, 01:00 PM »
Thankfully I live north of I-80! But the last couple years I have had to drive an hour north to get on safe ice at times...............bu t hey- whatever it takes!  ;)

Hopefully we will get a good COLD Winter again soon! 🤞🤞🤞
Where's the FISH?!

Offline JPascavage52

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2023, 12:58 PM »
A little south of I-80 here, but don't mind driving a bit to get on some ice. Haven't sold any gear, but I will say it's getting harder to justify making any big purchases in the sport.
Pro staff for:

Liquid Mayhem
Titan Tungsten
Lunker City
Toad Thumper Lures

Youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing/videos

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2023, 05:54 PM »
A little south of I-80 here, but don't mind driving a bit to get on some ice. Haven't sold any gear, but I will say it's getting harder to justify making any big purchases in the sport.
I can definitely agree with you there, I haven’t sold anything here yet either but don’t want to invest anymore in the sport besides jigs and bait.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2023, 06:49 PM »
I don't see anymore big purchases over next year or two.  Have 3 widow makers with black Betty's,  new flip over, lx7.  Would like to plan trip this year maybe upper NY or Michigan.   Nez

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2023, 02:58 AM »
Call me stubborn  but I have upgraded my icefishing  equipment  to a very nice level (my coworkers  use to tease me for every big ticket  item I would purchase  followed by a warm  winter) now its a waiting  game retirement  is on the horizon  I will seek ice one way or another tight lines everyone

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2023, 09:38 PM »
I stopped at Cabelas tonight and picked up a new Ugly Stick combo, one of those foam hole insulator things to try and a plastic rod protector.

They didn’t have a very big selection of ice fishing gear, and I couldn’t believe they didn’t have ANY spud bars! I think that is a sign of the times.............. ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2023, 04:32 PM »
I stopped at Cabelas tonight and picked up a new Ugly Stick combo, one of those foam hole insulator things to try and a plastic rod protector.

They didn’t have a very big selection of ice fishing gear, and I couldn’t believe they didn’t have ANY spud bars! I think that is a sign of the times.............. ::)

You can't count on cabelas for ice fishing gear.  They care more about women's clothing than ice fishing equipment.  I try to shop local while relying on online vendors for my fishing equipment.  Cabelas is expensive  too.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2023, 08:55 AM »
I don’t “count” on Cabelas for anything, but since I drive right by the store on my way to visit family, I stop in from time to time to see what they have. I like their 5’ lightweight spud bar so if they had any, I would have picked one up so I have a spare. But no spudbars or ice chisels/hammers at all. And less stuff overall. But since there is less ice in southern pa every year, it doesn’t surprise me.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2023, 10:25 AM »
Cabelas selection could be worse but it used to be better. They dont stock any decent ice rods anymore. I figure they had too many broken rods from handling and hanging them from the guides. Between their prices, checkout fiasco and selection i hardly stop by or buying anything from there any longer.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2023, 06:07 PM »
Im not selling any of my gear, Im hoping to get on some ice this year. But Ive done ok open water fishing  at Hopewell. Mostly catching gills on wax worms & we caught some crappies mid feb. Last winter . With that said ....Im not buying anything else either . I have more jigs than Ill use the rest of my life.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2023, 08:50 AM »
I just bought a new Vexilar for this year, so I ain’t giving up anytime soon!  ;D

My Marcum has been a bit “finicky” the last couple years so I decided to buy a new flasher and relegate it to “backup” duty or when I take a “newbie” out who doesn’t have one.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2023, 09:26 AM »
I have been driving to NY for a few years now.  Might get 1-2 weeks of  PA ice, but "safe" is a rather relative term.  Poconos are usually a solid bet in the elevation as well as Tioga county, but Bucks is pretty shot (besides a few small sheltered ponds when conditions allow).  It's unfortunate but if you really want to get out, you just need to "chase the ice".  Hopefully it doesn't keep running farther North each year.   

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2023, 04:32 PM »
I just bought a new Vexilar for this year, so I ain’t giving up anytime soon!  ;D

My Marcum has been a bit “finicky” the last couple years so I decided to buy a new flasher and relegate it to “backup” duty or when I take a “newbie” out who doesn’t have one.
I too just recently purchased a vexilar I thin the last couple years.  My marcum, which I love, is on its second motor and that one is starting to act finicky.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.