Author Topic: how deep 4 perch  (Read 3904 times)

jillbe

how deep 4 perch
« on: Jan 13, 2005, 03:35 PM »
hello there im new to fishing for perch though the ice, and was wondering how deep i should go? should i fish drop offs, rock bottoms, etc. any help would be great thanks

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: how deep 4 perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2005, 03:51 PM »
i catch the in weeds i usaly catch them in 5-10 feet near the bottem but have caught them in 2 ft

hali-man

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2005, 04:00 PM »
It depends on the water you are fishing. You have to find them!
They hang out at about 25' at my local lake.

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2005, 09:10 PM »
 In most lakes i fish WEEDS does it, but as slipbob said they can range from 5 feet to 55 feet and both have fish, i have even caught one in 64 feet so it all depends i guess, do some searching and drill alot of holes, but when you find them ususally you will be able to pinpoint specifics and then begin to catch more.
Jason

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2005, 02:05 AM »
I have been fishing in mostly 10 - 25 feet for perch this year. They definately prefer flats. Scattered rubble on the flats helps attract them too. Deeper flats also produce though. I checked a flat in 38 - 40 feet of water on the same trip but didn't find any. So I think they go deeper later in the year. The perch I catch are hesisitant usually to move more than a foot off the bottom to take a jig.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2005, 04:13 PM »
I like my 30ft as the mudline is usually the place to be especially mid season when the are chowing on the bugs on the mudflats.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2005, 03:57 PM »
Flats in about 20 ft. range seem the best. I like a rocky bottom, perch seem to like to hang off of or in proximity to points/bars. It must be fairly flat, though.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2005, 07:27 PM »
Have caught them in 2' then 20'+ on the same trip. Prefer to find the first deep flats off the break, near a point or cut, and fish the bottoms transition from firm, mainly sand or marl, to muddy. On my lakes that seems to be the main movement corridor up, down and around the area. Once you figure their pattern for that day you can stay on top of them, well some of the time at least.

Imaster

« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2005, 11:20 PM »
had to do it...

its now how deep you fish its how you wiggle your worm...

someone had to do it

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2005, 01:22 PM »
In most lakes i fish it really doesn't matter about depth, one day i can go out and catch perch after perch in 25 feet of water and the next day i will be catching them in 8 feet, you just have to locate them.

bib brother

« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2005, 10:04 PM »
jillbe,

it would help to know what size lake you are fishing in and how deep it is.  alot of the places i fish don't get over 15ft deep.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2005, 11:12 PM »
Depth doesnt seem to matter as long as your fishing the bottom of whatever depth you decide to fish.Just try to locate them.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

jillbe

« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2005, 07:47 AM »
the lake is only 83 acres and 31 feet deep

bib brother

« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2005, 10:15 AM »
start in 5 or so around some weeds and work out towards deeper water.  15-20 minutes a hole tops if you're getting nothing, make sure you move if you're not catching.  gold swedish pimple(single hook)with live grub of some kind will catch just about everything that swims, not the perfect lure for every situaion but it's a good one for locating fish, they usually hit it while it's sitting still after a few little shaky jigs.  post of you have any luck, gl.   BB

Offline BCice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2005, 03:33 PM »
 On a whim in a deep clear lake I dropped a line in 75 feet once & started getting perch. Decided it wasn't a good idea since they were small & didn't think they'd survive being released.
Ron

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2005, 12:17 PM »
Where I fish, I pound the bottom, most are on the bottom or very close to it sucking up everything you can imagine.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.