The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Well, We Gave It the Old College Try . . .  (Read 1217 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well, We Gave It the Old College Try . . .
« on: Feb 11, 2023, 09:15 PM »
but the fish just didn't cooperate.

Mogli, his girlfriend, my younger son and I went to Onota today, hoping to catch some small mouth.

The weather was certainly nice - - partly to mostly sunny, and temps in the low to mid 30's, with a brisk but not oppressive breeze.

We arrived at the Burbank Park boat launch parking lot a little before 10 AM, and there was a large number of fisherman already set up nearby, so we went off to the left and around the bend to just below Hillcrest Hospital, where we finally set up.

There was about 9 inches of good quality ice, albeit a few sketchy spots near some of the shoreline.

Over the course of the day, we had twoi flags, but no fish - - and no strikes jigging or on the dead stick.

Things were slow enough that at one point I strapped on some ice skates and visited some of our "neighbors" to see how they were doing, and a couple of other times I just ambled over to a few others.

The reports were a mixed bag. 

Some of the guys that I talked to were having the same experience as we were - - jokingly calling the lake "Slownota." 

Others reported catching at least a few small mouth and landing a perch here or a crappie there. 

But, the entire time I was there, I didn't see anyone pull a fish through the ice - - although I did see a couple nice smallies that some guys had landed earlier in the days.

My son and I picked up and left around 3 PM, while Mogli and his girlfriend were going to stick around for a while longer.

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Well, We Gave It the Old College Try . . .
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2023, 08:21 AM »
Bummer!!! I was set up across from the launch with my father and our buddy. We managed 2 largemouth and missed acouple. Had one fish take my giant dace for a run but dropped it. The lake definitely lived up to its nickname slow-nota yesterday
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline BDailey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2023, 08:23 AM »
Glad you were able to get out and fish. We’ve all had those slow days with a flag or two but it makes you appreciate the banner days when you can’t keep your traps set from all the action.

I’ll be heading up there this coming Thursday & fishing thru the weekend. The weather is not looking good for ice conditions 50-55 with some rain Wednesday - Friday for next week. Hopefully the ice will still be safe by then. Gonna have to add the wood plank to the list of gear to bring I’d suppose.

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
“A spudbar is your best friend.”

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2023, 06:03 AM »
Way to get out Jim.

Offline Mogli21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2023, 06:29 PM »
Nothing changed in the time we stayed but glad we got out as well and sadly my day on Sunday didn’t go much better at Windsor pond, three flags and one small pickerel.  The real teaser Saturday was seeing the pine stay in the area so long and not take a single bait

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2023, 08:05 PM »
Yeah it’s never fun when it gets that slow, but at least you knew it was everyone. Hopefully a better outcome next time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.