Author Topic: Tip ups for northern, set them shallow or deep?  (Read 7583 times)

Offline marknicholson

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip ups for northern, set them shallow or deep?
« on: Dec 11, 2013, 12:17 PM »
Just getting into ice fishing seriously.  Setting your tip ups for Northern I have heard to set them shallow, a foot or two below the ice, because they are always looking up, and I have heard set them low because that's where most of the smaller bait swim.  Your thoughts?

Offline Groverat

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Tip ups for northern, set them shallow or deep?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2013, 01:07 PM »
I always use dead bait 2"-5" off the bottom.  :tipup:

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2013, 01:16 PM »
I caught my biggest Northern a foot off bottom in 15 fow. I usually set one deep, one in the middle, and one just under ice until I find where they are. Sometimes they hit all depths, sometimes none.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2013, 01:17 PM »
Depends some on the depth you are fishing in. I usually start about 2-3 feet off the bottom if I am in 12 + feet of water or so. I have a buddy who always keeps his just under the ice. I never had much success that way. Much of acquiring a technique comes from trial and error.

Good luck on the ice!

WS

Offline marknicholson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2013, 02:08 PM »
Dead bait....meaning a dead shiner or the like?  Dead on purpose you just knew it was dead because it had been on the tip up all day?

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2013, 04:27 PM »
Dead bait can be close to the bottom, sometimes on the bottom. Live bait not be close to the bottom. For pike 2' off minimum in the murkiest of water. You can easily set a bait too low, but its impossible to set them too high.
-Tom

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2013, 04:31 PM »
Swallow water about 2 ft off the bottem and i make my own leaders with lots of flash ..it works good

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2013, 05:14 PM »
if you want action set them shallow in bays or inlets. if you want pigs set them deeper at the mouths of bays or on main lake breaks.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline alfredri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2013, 07:00 PM »
We always set ours half way from top to bottom. We get our share

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2013, 11:03 AM »
Last year I had my best success fishing between 5' and 7' of water with a dead sucker 2' below the ice. I'll fish above or on the outskirts of the weeds. The weeds hold the scuds which attract
the baitfish which in my case are trout. My largest pike last year and personal best was 38" and 17.5 pounds, not huge but worthy. I think if catching smaller pike in shallow water is a concern.
using larger bait will cut down on catching the hammer handles though it is surprising how big a bait those little ones will take. Tight lines

Offline dennisthemence

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:18 AM »
i learned many years ago a good rule to follow is 3 to 5ft. off the tops of what your fishing over. hard deep bottom, top of weeds, gravel bar or mud flats. but each area has its own exceptions to the rules.
like 1 of my favorite spots is a gravel bar that comes of the north shore of an island and ends in 20ft' of water and drops off into 70ft' of water.  i have found a shelf in a 12ft' spot that drops to 24ft'. i set my tip-up just over/into the 24ft' edge, but my bait is just 10ft under the ice. so any pike crusing the top of the bar will see my bait and any pike running the lower part of the shelf will too.

dead bait is best close to bottom---up to 3' off bottom

also would like to say i have seen pike swim up a break from bottom-30plus fow- to have a try at my deke that is in 12fow, in 1 of my favorate spots for spearing

Offline kingcoho308

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2013, 04:58 PM »
allot of bays i fish i find that i set my rigs real close to bottom just a couple turns off bottom 4 to 5 feet of water most times. while fishing deeper bodes of water i like to try diffrent depths till i find fish and set accordingly from their i have best luck in my shallow water close to the bottom for pike

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2013, 06:58 PM »
At the end of the season I go shallow and use dead bait just off the bottom and it has produced over the years
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline racer25r

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • part of team long rod competative fishing team
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2013, 10:54 AM »
I always have good luck with the minnow 1 or 2 feet off the bottom.
Team Long Rod

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2013, 02:42 PM »
no hard fast rule.  experiment to see what the day brings. 

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Depends on the situation.  I usually set mine about a foot off the bottom but I primarily fish a shallow (max depth 11 feet) lake.  Under low-light conditions...just before sun-up, overcast skies, and once the sun angle changes in the afternoon...I'm putting them in deeper water.  If there is good sunlight then they get moved up onto shallower flats that are between 4 and 6 feet deep.  I started tracking certain data points over the past few years and that "sunlight/shallow, dark skies/deep" thing was very consistent.  I'll plan for the dropping sun angle in the afternoon by pulling lines out of the shallows and into the deeper water and it's something I've been able to set my watch to.  Watching that sun hit a certain point in the sky day after day and being able to predict which ones will go off.  Pretty neat nugget of info to have stored away but it might not be applicable to all systems. 

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:32 PM »
Try this set up.. shallow water.. 4-5ft.  Try using dead trout or large smelt or sardines... something oily that gives off a stink... be sure to take gaff to your flags, they ll be big !

Offline minnow1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2014, 10:20 AM »
Depends on what the bottom is like or if there are weeds

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.