Author Topic: Lyons  (Read 8464 times)

Offline FishSean

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lyons
« Reply #30 on: Dec 13, 2011, 11:27 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  So there are rainbows, splake and a few browns in there... know of anything else?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline topcat3820

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 13, 2011, 12:05 PM »
Perch... plenty of the little buggers ::).
TC   

Offline BBB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 13, 2011, 12:25 PM »
second that if you fish the bottom there are tones of little perch. the manitoba master angler records also say there are arctic char but the last one caught was in 2007

Offline FishSean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 13, 2011, 12:29 PM »
Cool, I suppose if there is splake in there then there would have to be the odd laker too, unless it is stocked with splake...but as you can tell I really don't know much about the lake despite driving by it 100 times a year  :)

Offline BBB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 13, 2011, 02:59 PM »
Stocked with splake. No lake trout in lyons lake... Im pretty sure there is a site that lets you know whats been stocked in a lake

Offline BBB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 13, 2011, 03:04 PM »
Lyons Lake

06-May-11 BROWN TROUT 18+ cm 1,000
06-May-11 RAINBOW TROUT 18+ cm 3,000

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice, cold, water you say? sounds miserable... not!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:28 PM »
might try this weekend, caught 2 about 12" last year
how deep and how far off the bottom do you tend to get the most?
hello my name is lostman and im an ice fishing addict, and always will be

Offline fishaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:53 PM »
The trout we caught  near shoreline were about 3' below ice in about 6' of water. Further out they were still high in the water column.  Anyone been to McHugh or Camp yet?
Go fish.

Offline Spartan-1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:11 PM »
So that's awesome my old account doesn't work any more...oh well... I was out there a couple weekends ago for about 2.5 hours  fished right by the dock, managed 5  between my and my buddy. 4 specks between around 10 to 13 inches, lost a nice rainbow at the hole, came out then nose dived right back in, but that fishin for ya. Id say he was at least 18'' with decent girth, not a bad day though. But i am wondering, i use a bird 35, and for some reason it acts up every time i go to that lake, just does nuts, just curious if any one else has that issue at all. Im guessing it's probably interference from the metal content in the rocks, or just noise from the hwy driving the sonar crazy, cause it works perfect every where else.

Offline fishaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:30 PM »
Don't know what that would be. I've had my 45 out there several times without a problem.
Go fish.

Offline tommy jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:48 PM »
So that's awesome my old account doesn't work any more...oh well... I was out there a couple weekends ago for about 2.5 hours  fished right by the dock, managed 5  between my and my buddy. 4 specks between around 10 to 13 inches, lost a nice rainbow at the hole, came out then nose dived right back in, but that fishin for ya. Id say he was at least 18'' with decent girth, not a bad day though. But i am wondering, i use a bird 35, and for some reason it acts up every time i go to that lake, just does nuts, just curious if any one else has that issue at all. Im guessing it's probably interference from the metal content in the rocks, or just noise from the hwy driving the sonar crazy, cause it works perfect every where else.

I have the Bird 35 as well and mine works fine out there. If no one else here has the same trouble, you may want to take it in to get checked but it is strange that it works fine everywhere else ???

Offline IceDreamMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 15, 2011, 01:13 PM »
This place might be able to help you Spartan-1. PTG Electronics Ltd. on 3092 Portage ave. They are a  authorized Hummingbird service center. ;)

Offline Spartan-1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 15, 2011, 07:35 PM »
Ya I took it there last year and had the disk and motor replaced, so i dont know kinda weird though. Ill test er out at EOM on saunday and see how she works.

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 15, 2011, 10:07 PM »
i have a 35 and have had no problems
fished in the corner of the lake by the highway last year with no trouble
anyone planning on going out this weekend?

Offline IceDreamMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 15, 2011, 10:46 PM »
Cant make it this weekend :( But for anyone who is going to that area i suggest checking out Hunt lake i hear the Brookies are biting.

Offline fishaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 17, 2011, 10:15 PM »
i have a 35 and have had no problems
fished in the corner of the lake by the highway last year with no trouble
anyone planning on going out this weekend?

Will give it one more go on sunday. After that the real lakes might be ready to go:)
Go fish.

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:05 PM »
i was hoping to get out there tomorrow but i have no buddies to go with and its a long trip to do by myself,

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:06 PM »
but good luck and post about how you do
 ;D

Offline 57mustang

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 18, 2011, 06:56 PM »
could be from all the rock in the area... fished shoal lake last march and the vex was acting up all day... had a marcum close by and a lot of rock shoals and bottom... maybe too many signals bouncing around... have fished near a marcum many other places with no problem...

Offline gmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 19, 2011, 12:50 PM »
I was out there with my buddies on Sunday. About 12" of ice. Caught a few rainbows and one brown. Great to be out on the ice when it's above zero

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 19, 2011, 03:56 PM »
I was out there with my buddies on Sunday. About 12" of ice. Caught a few rainbows and one brown. Great to be out on the ice when it's above zero
how big were your trout?
what part of the lake were you fishing?

Offline gmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 19, 2011, 11:06 PM »
how big were your trout?
what part of the lake were you fishing?

Not very big 12-15" maybe.

The lakes not that big, finding the fish is half the fun  ;)

Offline BBB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 19, 2011, 11:14 PM »
Yea theyre really not that hard to find lol If you  have trouble just look for auger holes and fish there ive never had trouble finding trout on lyons

Offline TURBO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 23, 2011, 12:03 PM »
Just out of curiousity, has anyone gone past West Hawk and Hunt yet??? How does the ice look? (if there's any on WH at all!)

Thanks.

Offline mrhook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get the net!!!!
« Reply #54 on: Dec 23, 2011, 03:03 PM »
*from another site*** taken yesterday about westhawk.
Two weeks away on holiday and nothing much has changed around the Southern Whiteshell.
Adrenaline - About 3" of Snow
Stangfire - West Hawk Lake is still not frozen.

FYI - West Hawk Lake is Manitoba's deepest lake at 365' and was created by a meteor impact. The average freeze over date is Dec 12 (averaged from records that date back to 1952) In the last 60 years it has only froze over twice after Christmas at Dec 28 (1952&1965)
Looking at the current forecast warmer weather is on its way, but a calm night may be all it needs, I would like to see it freeze after Christmas, boat ride anyone?
" A fisherman is a jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other!"

Offline FishSean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 25, 2011, 05:19 PM »
Merry Christmas all, just wondering what types of bait(s) to use in Lyons I was out there on thursday fished 6-20 fow with a few hits on a dead stick but if the bait was moving they weren't touching it.  I was using 1" gulp chartruese shads and waxies, again, these baits did nothing for me in 3 hours... if anyone has any imput it would be appreciated.

14" of ice btw.

Offline fiveontheice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 25, 2011, 08:42 PM »
little hooks, Berkley Mice tails, dip entire hook and tail in Berkley green trout sauce, i found them approx; 5-7 feet below ice, good luck.

Offline FishSean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Dec 25, 2011, 08:51 PM »
Excellent I'll give that a try.  I was marking lots on the flasher so maybe these will be the difference. Thanks again.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 26, 2011, 09:23 AM »
Excellent I'll give that a try.  I was marking lots on the flasher so maybe these will be the difference. Thanks again.

If they were on the bottom, probably perch, the stunted wormy kind, if you catch one don't practice c&r (and I don't mean eat it either  :P)

Offline fishaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 26, 2011, 07:31 PM »
We usually catch with small hooks/splitshot/ with half of a saltie or small jig heads (1/8 or smaller) with green nymphs . 
Go fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.