New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Onieda Cusk/Burbot?  (Read 5784 times)

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Former usmc, former us army airborne, current DOD
Re: Onieda Cusk/Burbot?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2015, 05:22 PM »
There is a very good video on you tube that covers how to fillet them.  I think it was done by the alaska dec.  Meat looked pretty good and got some nice fillets off of them.
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2015, 05:29 PM »
This real concern has been brought to my attention:
"As someone who likes catching burbot & has been fighting the stigma of the fish on Oneida, & hopes the population remains healthy, PLEASE remove that post!  The reason folks here kill them for no reason is they believe its working, & they hurt perch and eye population.
Your post emphasizes they eat perch & implies killing them is a good idea.”

What all should realize is burbot likely contribute to the healthy populations of  species like perch and gills by culling the populations BUT MORE by adding hundreds of pounds of feed in the form of spawn during this time of year. Granted this may contribute to a slowing of the bite this time of year, because everyone is feeding on high protein concentrations of readily available highly preferred faire, spawn!

It is common knowledge here, that the bite slows in conjunction with the cusk (burbot) spawn.

I am sure many of you are aware steelies and browns follow the salmon spawn up river. Same kinda thing with other fish on burbot eggs... BUT the catch of perch and other species is cut down while those species bulk up on good food!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2015, 05:30 PM »
seagulls like em

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2015, 05:32 PM »
seagulls like em

You may find yourself in good company.  ;)
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2015, 05:33 PM »
if in fact  burbot  help  perch and walleyes bye  gulling  them then I must  be helping the  burbots  by gulling  them  ......ps  they do grow great tomatos

Offline Icelife4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit the b***hin and start fishin
« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2015, 05:58 PM »
Is there a size limit to them and how many you can keep?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2015, 06:08 PM »
size  and  limit  depend  on the size  of garden you have

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 06, 2015, 06:11 PM »
size  and  limit  depend  on the size  of garden you have
Isn't that how the regs read for burying long haired olfart hippies?
In that case I need you and 3 friends, while you're easy where do I find the friends? :P

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 06, 2015, 06:13 PM »
They can be more elusive than a 50" muskie

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Feb 06, 2015, 06:22 PM »
Isn't that how the regs read for burying long haired olfart hippies?
In that case I need you and 3 friends, while you're easy where do I find the friends? :P

there  is  no limit  or  size  regulation  so  by  buring them in my  garden I  am  enjoying a  "legal  activity"  you  on the  other hand  are harassing  me  !  harassing  during a  legal  activity  is  breaking the  law!  ..........you might  end  up in the  countys  idea  of a live well  you keep nit  up mister  :roflmao:......and it ain't my fault you like a trash fish that kills walleyes and perch  :cookoo: and I heard they are ugly and scare  little  kids and old people

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #40 on: Feb 06, 2015, 06:25 PM »
Here’s  thread from some guys that go after em up here.!

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=194304.0;nowap

They may need some fillet lessons  ::)

Fried, blanched and dipped in butter, chilled with cocktail sauce, chowder or alive released!

Like a buddy says: “Catch em and cook ‘em or release em!”

Offline Polar_Joe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 06, 2015, 06:54 PM »
Fish Cleaning Law
It is illegal on New York State waters to possess walleye, black bass, brook trout, lake trout or Atlantic salmon that have been cut, dismembered, filleted, skinned or otherwise altered so that the species and total length of such fish cannot be easily determined. However, these fish may be gilled or gutted. Other species of fish may be filleted provided that the skin is not removed from the fillets. This regulation allows more effective enforcement of harvest regulations on protected game fish.
fished out of godfrey today. moved a few times. only one short eye, back at it in the morning.

dec site.
Fish Carcass Disposal Law
It is illegal to discard any fish carcass, or parts thereof, into the freshwaters of the state within 100 feet of shore or upon any public or private lands contiguous to and within 100 feet of such water, except:

On private lands by owners of such lands.
If properly disposing into suitable garbage or refuse collection systems or by burial.
Where incidental cleaning of fish for consumption is permitted. However, resulting waste may not be disposed of within 100 feet of any public launching or docking site unless into a suitable refuse collection system.
Live fish and fish which must be returned to the water because of size limits, open seasons and creel limits are not subject to the fish carcass disposal law.
STAY SAFE & GOOD LUCK

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 06, 2015, 06:57 PM »
seagulls like em
   Blue Jays like em too

and starlings think they are great

After I filleted and ate em...LOL
A Bald Eagle ended up carrying it away, caught me by surprise....they Really like em!!

Give em a try...
 a burbot that was smashed and left on Oneida ice, brought it home for the critters, and this guy  spotted it during a snowstorm...they love em

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 06, 2015, 07:17 PM »
I heard they are ugly and scare  little  kids and old people

Its OK bud responsible adults will hug the little ones if scared, & for you old people we'll make sure to charge you're "mart-cart" so you can Speed away to the personal care isle and fight over the important stuff like who gets the special buy on depends.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Feb 06, 2015, 08:00 PM »
choo choo  that's  awesome :thumbsup:

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 06, 2015, 08:06 PM »

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Feb 07, 2015, 06:25 AM »
i was able to witness  burbots  feeding  on small walleyes  the other day  i was using a  aqua view and i took a picture of the  screen

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #47 on: Feb 07, 2015, 08:13 AM »
i was able to witness  burbots  feeding  on small walleyes  the other day  i was using a  aqua view and i took a picture of the  screen

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks more like a selfie with you and bcons :woot:

I imagine the feeding is mutual. Like a guy told me “If YOU were down there, they’d eat you!” He was a guy I scallop fished with. I guess he got to experience that statement first hand. Lost at sea some years ago. (Miss YA, Raymond!)

Anyway, without predation, you’d have stunted fish. I’ve seen crappie spitting up tiny perch and the the other way around.

It would appear Oneida is a good place of balance at the moment, even with heavy pressure on the walleye pop and little pressure on the burbot pop.

“Catch em and cook ‘em or release em!” I do keep a couple hundred pounds of white perch and racks from other fish to use in my recreational lobster traps, though.... ;) ;D

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 07, 2015, 09:09 AM »
Choo Choo thos are some awesome pictures!  It's exciting to see the turkeys, bears, Eagles, trout and salmon in Ontario and other animals make a come back.  I tell my son about the old days when you had four guys on a doe permit and only the one possesing the tag that day could shoot.  We used to hike all day and if we saw one doe it was a good day.  Now it is nothing to see 5 to 10 deer per outing.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Feb 07, 2015, 12:46 PM »
in my wildest  dreams I never would have believed I'd see bald  eagles here  ,or see a  bear season  in most of  new York ...I even seen  new York moose!.....these are the good times   ;D

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 07, 2015, 06:56 PM »
Choo Choo thos are some awesome pictures!  It's exciting to see the turkeys, bears, Eagles, trout and salmon in Ontario and other animals make a come back.  I tell my son about the old days when you had four guys on a doe permit and only the one possesing the tag that day could shoot.  We used to hike all day and if we saw one doe it was a good day.  Now it is nothing to see 5 to 10 deer per outing.
I'm glad all you guy's liked the pictures...thanks .

Conesuscrab and Trapper...It is amazing the job that the DEC has done with manageing, and restoring  our wildlife here in New York State. To think that there was only 1 (one) surviving pair of Bald Eagles left here in New York State back in 1975, and in danger of becoming extinct . Well,  it's remarkable the number of these awesome birds we have throughout the entire state today...a great story.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Feb 07, 2015, 08:20 PM »
and to think  they  eat the  burbot  I leave  out  for  them ..... ;D

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #52 on: Feb 07, 2015, 08:29 PM »
and to think  they  eat the  burbot  I leave  out  for  them ..... ;D

Like the Eagle, burbot have their place in NY.  Keep leaving them on the ice and they will no longer be around. 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #53 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:13 AM »
You can thank Rachel Carson and the outlawing of DDT for the eagle and many birds coming back. It’s now common to see multiple eagles at once up here. We have had as many as 7 at once riding air currents above our home.

DDT made egg shells too thin and fragile to be sat, among other things. Carson’s book, Silent Spring was major to these restorations. The clean water act also saved many of our water bodies. Onandoga Lake is one good example. We used to fish the Susquehanna and often had to remove toilet paper from our lines before that,  too. That was just the stuff you could see.

Those darned liberal environmentalists!

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 09, 2015, 04:19 PM »
ny has want and waste laws destroying fish just because you do not like them is wrong and illegal and if i see some one doing it it will be painfull

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 09, 2015, 04:32 PM »
Boy I was ticked off at burbot yesterday!  A 26-28" broke me off at the bottom of my hole & stole the last I had of my favorite rap. 
Was only mad because I wanted it in my bucket  ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #56 on: Feb 09, 2015, 04:45 PM »

There are Eagles nesting around the treatment plant , they like the ducks there
And from time to time you will see Snowy Olws on the ice , and there live at the Airport until about March then the head home to stake out their territory

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:01 PM »
Still trying to figure out where th pair of eagles that visit the east end come from.  Whether its those from BB or Rome. Figure its about the same distance, don't think its a new pair since they're only around 1-2 times a month.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:17 PM »
bcons  I have  a  idea  :) 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:21 PM »
is  true  DDT  did  kill birds  but  it  also    wasn't  to healthy to have  in  our  foods either

I do really love seeing these eagles   and I like  reading about them  :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.