New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 9yr old first timer  (Read 1467 times)

Offline jiggernut

• IceShanty Rookie
9yr old first timer
« on: Dec 29, 2005, 05:55 PM »
Here's my dilemma...I have a 9 year old son that loves to bass fish, usually out fishes me. He has never wanted to ice fish with me until this year. I usually fish up north in the ADK's. I live in Capital Region and want to stay close to home with him. Does anybody have any recommendations for me where to fish? Preferrably some place where he can jig pan fish but also have a flag or two go up. Thanks for some help.

Offline toothycritter00

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 9yr old first timer
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2005, 06:10 PM »
Saratoga. its close and you can jig and lay out some tip ups finding and catching the fish is up to you

good luck
toothy

Offline jiggernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2005, 06:37 PM »
Thanks toothy...I some times forget about Saratoga. Are there access points to the lake other than the boat launch on the creek? I used to have access to mannings cove but friends moved from there about 10 yrs ago.

dwayne

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2005, 06:39 PM »
Jiggernut....Take him to Glass lake.  You will have a blast if the fish are hitting.  Nothing big will be caught but you will stay busy.

Offline jiggernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2005, 06:53 PM »
Glass Lake??? Near rt43 and rt150 if I'm correct. Never been there. What should I expect? Will there be enough ice this weekend with the rain and all? Rensselaer County under flood watch? He is very anxious to hit the ice. Santa was very good to him this year. New toys...you have to use them now. I get reminded how that is every winter when I get some new open water toys.

Offline toothycritter00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2005, 06:58 PM »
If your looking for ice right now go north...gotta give the waters around here a day or two to refreeze. There are tons of ways to get on Toga just ask on the conditions page and I'm sure that someone will let you know whats open this year. I haven't gotten up there yet this year.

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2005, 07:23 PM »
to risky with this weather..don't ruin his enthusiasm on ice fishing by having him take a dunk in the drink

Offline IWALKONWATER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • LEAVE SOME FOR "SEED"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2005, 01:02 PM »
Saratoga lake will work alot of pan action off fitch road with easy access and ample parking. Also plenty of stores for the times you hear "DAD I GOTTA GO TO THE BATHROOM" Stewart's on both ends of the lake. Yes I have three of my own little fishermen all around the age of yours, just remember when the time comes that he is COLD, TIRED, BOARD, HUNGRY OR ALL OF THE ABOVE YOUR DAY IS DONE!!! Nothing will ruin a young sportsman that to have no fun while Dad if catching all the fish. Just think teach them young and learn them right and you got a partner for life!!! Enjoy him soon he will be a man.
Check out my you tube channel IWALKOUTDOORS. tHANKS

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2005, 01:21 PM »
Amen

Offline jiggernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2005, 05:19 PM »
Also plenty of stores for the times you hear "DAD I GOTTA GO TO THE BATHROOM" Stewart's on both ends of the lake. Yes I have three of my own little fishermen all around the age of yours, just remember when the time comes that he is COLD, TIRED, BOARD, HUNGRY OR ALL OF THE ABOVE YOUR DAY IS DONE!!!

How quickly I forgot how many times he's pulled that while on a boat. I normally fish up north and no way I wanted to travel that far with him just to turn around after an hour or 2. Thanks for the advise. We may just see some of you out there.

Offline jiggernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2005, 02:39 PM »
Thanks for the input from everyone. We decided to stay close to home and went to Collins lake. 5 people fishing and he caught the only fish. Jigged up a fat slab of a bluegill. He also was the only one with a flag (2 to be exact) both running pretty good and lost them on the hookset. But all in all he had a great time. On the way home he asked to hit another local lake and managed to jig up 16 perch and 2 crappies in 1 hour. You can imagine the smile on my face. I justed turned my bass fishing buddy into an icefisherman as well.

What an awesome day this turned out to be!!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2005, 03:54 PM »
That's great!!! glad to hear you guys has a good day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.