New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: hand auger or gas auger?  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Ryan549

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: hand auger or gas auger?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:38 AM »
I prefer a hand auger, just personal preference

Offline ICE TESTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:51 AM »
Both I would hate to get excited to fish and the auger wont start so I always have both, I have seen guys who have neither and who asked if  i would drill holes and wanted to direct me where, told them if they wanted to wait awhile they could use mine but the fish might be gone by then,

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #62 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:05 AM »
When I take the gas auger, the hand auger is always locked in the truck. But I've only had one day in my many years of ice fishing my auger(still the same one my father bought years ago) didn't start. And by the time my friend walked back to the truck I had pulled the plug, cleaned out the fouling and was up and running before he got the hand auger. That old model 30 weighs a ton, is deafeningly loud and stinks like gas, but it is the most reliable gas engine I've ever used. Even when I get a new one eventually I 'll never get rid of the old beast.

Keep in mind that not everyone who ice fishes is a die hard. I'm sure there are guys out there who don't own a hand auger. So I wouldn't rag on someone for using a gas auger to cut 4" of ice. I've seen it myself and it took me a bit to realize they might not have another option.

Offline fiskasassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:12 AM »
Hand auger.  I will never own a gas auger.  I would buy a battery auger though.  Its not that I cant afford a gas auger so i convince myself to that.  I dont run more then 2 flags If I run any at all and I only drill a handful of holes a day.  If we got 2 ft of ice I would probably buy a ion battery auger.  I have seen it where a guy fires up a gas auger within 100 yards of me and every fish on my screen is gone.  Then you get the guys that drive up on top of you and set up with in 40 ft and fire up there auger.  After they drive by your shanty within 15 ft.
sounds like chautauqua i cant tell how many times a jerl on a machine drive damn near in my hol asking u catchn?i just tell em was till u got here

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #64 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:12 AM »
Go with propane!!  ;D
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #65 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:14 AM »
If you use a gas auger I highly recommend having the following items in your gear.

Spark plug.
Plug wrench, I have a cheap pressed metal one that has holes for a screw driver.
Emery cloth or sand paper.
File.

onice2013

« Reply #66 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:23 AM »
I shun the thought of battery auger too, that is not going green..lol.. bigger scam going..manufacturing  batteries is pollution.. disposal of batteries is pollution ..and the hazards and shelf life equate to nothing green and safer. Not to mention how expensive and heavy they are. Biggest government scandal going are those green subsidized tax payers wasted dollars.  Tody's  gas fuel at the pump is so bad for little the old 2 cycle engines  wants to make us compliant using compliant expensive cheaper plastic chainsaws etc.. because of the (new EPA system) that is not going green. How is designing cheaper junk going green? more recycling and people pouring out old ethanol mix in the ground too because the fuel we are forced to comply with has a shelf life too. Anyway, I won't mix my 25 to 1  fuel mix until i break out the gas auger sometime when the machines are on ice. Gamalot you out here? lol

Offline troutstalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:37 AM »
I invested in an 8" Nils Hand Auger and find myself starting up the ancient Jiffy a lot less over the past years. The kid even volunteers to cut holes with the Nils, which is a monumental step forward!!
Let's just give it a few more minutes!

Offline MOONEY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:44 AM »
I have always been a fan of whatever auger my friends are carrying. Mostly because I hate lugging any auger around, the best auger you can buy is a $5 bill. It is a proven fact that anybody will drill you a few holes for $5 bucks. And seeing how a new auger can go from $400-$500 anymore, well thats about 100 trips I can go on with my $5 bills in my pocket and never once have to carry an auger. "work smarter, not harder" ;D
"There is a fine line between fishing and just standing out on the ice like an idiot..."

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #69 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:51 AM »
Wow, this thread really brought out the gas auger haters.  I own a 10" jiffy, it might be my favorite ice fishing tool.  I'd like to watch someone hand drill a 10" hole thru 20" of ice.....

I don't buy the spook factor, around here there's always a gas auger running, doesn't seem to matter.

Offline fiskasassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:55 AM »
I have always been a fan of whatever auger my friends are carrying. Mostly because I hate lugging any auger around, the best auger you can buy is a $5 bill. It is a proven fact that anybody will drill you a few holes for $5 bucks. And seeing how a new auger can go from $400-$500 anymore, well thats about 100 trips I can go on with my $5 bills in my pocket and never once have to carry an auger. "work smarter, not harder" ;D
BRILLIANT!!!!!!!old guinesss commercial BRILLIANT!!!!

Offline fiskasassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 31, 2012, 09:03 AM »
even when fishing in canada thunder bay simcoe hand augers are what we been raised on lil more work better rewards maybe this is DO WORK SON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Dec 31, 2012, 09:10 AM »
I would leave you home. I didn't go ice fishing to drill YOUR HOLES, no matter how many $5 bills you have!  :)

Offline tree-on

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 31, 2012, 09:32 AM »
Think about getting a gas auger every year. My 8" hand auger works fine, but it is a chore after about a foot of ice. I also fish a lot on Champlain where you can put out 15 tip ups.  Then I go out and listen to someone pull their auger for 10 minutes straight (BTW after 10-20 pulls something is wrong, do some troubleshooting) and I start thinking about the horrors that are my string trimmers (though my 70's vintage chainsaws have no problems).  I've had enough winter battery issues to not want to try electric. Propane sounds promising though. Main issue is that they are expensive. Also its not bad getting the exercise, and when I start getting cold, I just move my least (non) productive tip-up to a different spot, or move my jigging hole.

I don't think the noise of the engine affects fish much, I think using it to splash all the chips out of the hole might.

Offline fiskasassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 31, 2012, 09:38 AM »
my lawn mower string brakes im ok with it didnt wanna cut the grass any way but my auger that would suck

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 31, 2012, 09:43 AM »
watched some kids struggle with a spoon auger yesterday for 5 minutes went over and drilled some holes for them with the new ION i don't see any harm in helping a fellow angler out

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #76 on: Dec 31, 2012, 11:32 AM »
I would be honored if you wanted to fish on my coords. Although, between you and snagger, I think you have it pretty much locked up.  Maybe I can pay with some grilled venison instead, I might even bring a spatula to flip my burgers instead of using my ice ladle like that time I saw you out there. 

Pretty sure I ripped my rotator cuff, going to the doc Friday.

O no that sucks if you need a hand one of your spots is only a 1/4 of a mile west of me  ;) your more than welcome to fish with me if you need help with drilling and the ladle is fine for flipping , but no cord locking

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #77 on: Dec 31, 2012, 02:35 PM »
i have 2 lazer hand augers and i do have a motor auger. yes i admit that i dont really like motor augers because of the noise but when and if we ever get to 2' of ice you can bet i will be bringing out the motor one ;) when it comes to the most annoying sound out on the ice i would have to say the people that i watched TRYING to make a hole thru 2'+ of ice with a spud up on Red lake ??? ??? ??? ??? they were not opening old holes either ::) ::) ::).Thump-Thump-Thump-Thump..................you get the picture :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :P
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

onice2013

« Reply #78 on: Dec 31, 2012, 03:39 PM »
I bought this last season but never used it yet http://royalpurpleindustrial.com/assets/Royal-Purple-2-Cycle-TCW-III-product-she.pdf any thoughts on this stuff appreciated before i mix it with todays crop

Offline fiskasassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:13 PM »
i have 2 lazer hand augers and i do have a motor auger. yes i admit that i dont really like motor augers because of the noise but when and if we ever get to 2' of ice you can bet i will be bringing out the motor one ;) when it comes to the most annoying sound out on the ice i would have to say the people that i watched TRYING to make a hole thru 2'+ of ice with a spud up on Red lake ??? ??? ??? ??? they were not opening old holes either ::) ::) ::).Thump-Thump-Thump-Thump..................you get the picture :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :P
thump...... thump.... thump... hilarious thump....thump...

onice2013

« Reply #80 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:57 PM »
fisk, you took me for a ride here, enough of this thread, hope it helped those not in the know.

Offline fiskasassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:59 PM »
yeah lol

Offline dallasbjp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:01 PM »
Gas

onice2013

« Reply #83 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:03 PM »
WALLEYE WALLEYE WALLEYE  NUFF SAID

Offline fiskasassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:03 PM »
WALLEYE WALLEYE WALLEYE  NUFF SAID
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm wallys

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Dec 31, 2012, 06:38 PM »
I use a 6" Mora hand auger with 7" blades until there's a foot of ice. After that it's the gas auger, especially on Champlain, and I always bring a spud as backup.  :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline gtriderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:16 PM »
The sound in the water would be from the auger blades cutting the ice. Same sound with gas or a hand auger. The engine is above the ice and I don't think that it scares them that bad since I have dropped the transducer in the water on my flasher and find fish right after drilling my holes.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #87 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:18 PM »
I like my gas strikemaster.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:04 PM »
;D Chainsaw brought one with him one day...extra batteries also...It worked great... :-\ Until it didn't... ::)

If you only drill a few sets of holes a day and the ice is never that thick, it most likely would be good for some people.

I will never buy one.  @)

Works for me. Never had a problem, drilling lots of holes.

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:07 PM »
O no that sucks if you need a hand one of your spots is only a 1/4 of a mile west of me  ;) your more than welcome to fish with me if you need help with drilling and the ladle is fine for flipping , but no cord locking

It will heal, just lucky it's my left arm so I can still start my sled and my power auger.  I'm not a big fan of coord locking, it never works for me, dam fish always make me work to find them. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.