Author Topic: 17", March!  (Read 3163 times)

Offline briansnat

• Team IceShanty Regular
17", March!
« on: Mar 02, 2014, 08:32 PM »
I can't recall the last time I encountered 17 inches of ice in NJ and I've been ice fishing since the 70's. 14 is usually the tops and that is in late January.  This is March for freakin' sake!  In most years we're done by now.  Here's to the best ice fishing season in my memory..and apparently more to come.
"Most men fish all their lives without realizing it's not the fish they are after" - Henry Thoreau

Offline oldman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 17", March!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2014, 09:42 PM »
I remember 18" on Swartswood back in the early 80's.  There's 16" on there now.  I don't know if we'll add any but we've got a couple of weeks of fishing left at the very least.
"Izaak believed that fish could hear; if they can, then their vocabulary must be full of strange oaths, for all anglers are not patient men." --Izaak Walton, The Compleat Angler

Offline acaravaglia

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those trout.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2014, 12:28 PM »
My arms killing me, I must have drilled 40+ holes by hand this weekend. smh

Offline Old Spud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2014, 02:04 PM »
The most ice I have ever cut through was the winter of '76- '77 when I measured 28"  just off of Nolan's point on LH.( that year we had safe ice in woodport the week of deer season) The early '60's had some cold winters too where we only put a few tip ups in because it was so much work spudding holes. I think we may have at least the better part of march to fish unless we get a two week heat wave.

Offline loustru

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2014, 02:16 PM »
I remember some 20 inch plus winters back in the late seventies. We could and would rent augers at Sportsmen's cove in Woodport for fishing on Hopatcong.I bought my hand auger around then for approx. $35,now the blades are $40.   :tipup: :tipup:

Offline briansnat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:58 PM »
Of course there has been more ice in the past, but that is usually late Jan or early Feb.   Does anybody remember this much ice in March?
"Most men fish all their lives without realizing it's not the fish they are after" - Henry Thoreau

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2014, 05:13 PM »
I remember some 20 inch plus winters back in the late seventies. We could and would rent augers at Sportsmen's cove in Woodport for fishing on Hopatcong.I bought my hand auger around then for approx. $35,now the blades are $40.   :tipup: :tipup:
sportsmans was great back in the day i usally went with 6- 8 guys we would split the rental and make swiss cheese in a 100 yrd area and bbq by the wooded area it usally blocked the wind the good old days

Offline beartracks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2014, 07:58 PM »
I remember going to Greenwood lake with my Uncle back in the 60"s and seeing guys parking their trucks on the ice where they are fishing, (18 to 20 plus inches) the good old days!

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:00 AM »

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2014, 10:31 AM »
Sportsman cove. Wow that brings back memories. Loved that place. Used to rent boats there a lot in my late teens and early 20's. Was the guy who ran the place named Roger I think??He was great to us since we were in there a lot but used to crack up seeing his reaction when  someone come in on a busy day with like 3 reels that needed to new line. Eventually there would be a "out of order" sign on every weekend ;D

Offline paulct

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2014, 11:16 AM »
its global warming man @)

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2014, 02:25 PM »
Back in the mid seventies, i ice fished Collins Cove on the Mullica, late January. At this point mid March looks good with this week not doing much damage. Get it while Ye may, come July and August everybody will be crying for colder weather.

Offline takemboys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:47 PM »
Man you guys are showing your age. HaHa  I can remember using an ax to cut holes. The good old days.

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2014, 05:52 AM »
That's not age TAKEM! That's experience talkin. 42 years worth of ice time and counting on myCoup stick.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2014, 07:06 AM »
I'm pretty sure I'll be fishing first weekend in april

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2014, 11:50 AM »
Tom, that's a long 3+ weeks off for fishable April ice. I would not mind it, but it's still a historical stretch. Then again, you did not say where???????

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2014, 12:13 PM »
Bring on the ice! I love this season getting a few personal bests this year and and bunch of good times with friends couple more weekends to go guys let's get some big ones up for the picture board
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2014, 04:13 PM »
I'm lucky enough to make enough money to have winter pretty much off.With the amount of ice we have I've been fishing at least 3 times a week since Dec 1 but two weeks I did 6 days straight.I'm a ice maniac.I'd like to say thanks to my wife for being understanding.

Offline takemboys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Tom if your wifes ok with all your fishing time you definetly got a keeper.haha

Offline metaliczombi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Will the Newark Watershed reservoirs be ice free on opening day?

Offline kuz1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2014, 09:21 PM »
Will the Newark Watershed reservoirs be ice free on opening day?

No. No way. Not iced over completely, but there will be ice

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2014, 06:15 AM »
Hey Metz, you know what a bear does in the woods right?

Sure as what a bear does, you can be sure the NWCDC will be ice free for the opener.

You may have to fish and boat around the bergs, but there will be enough ice cold water for fishing.    ;)

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2014, 11:23 AM »
Had 24" even on a mountain pond yesterday

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 06, 2014, 04:02 PM »
When the warm gets here, it will go fairly quickly. But thats a big if, with all the cold.

But consider, longer days since the first of the year. More sun, less ice over time.

It's starting to get to that time of year when the planks, ladders and other methods will come into play.

I know when that will be. It will be when the snow pile sitting on my plank melts and I start lugging it to the lake
         Each time just in case. My plank hangs on two nails on my sled. Don't leave it behind, you may lose it.

Offline Dem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2014, 04:45 PM »
Beartracks I grew up in Ringwood and as a young man early 80's lots of trucks on Upper Greenwood lake! If I wasn't scared to lose my truck plenty of ice for that this year! Ahhh being responsible really sucks sometimes lol!! ;D
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the ice like an idiot! I won't tell you which side of the line I'm on.

Offline briansnat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2014, 11:08 AM »
Beartracks I grew up in Ringwood and as a young man early 80's lots of trucks on Upper Greenwood lake! If I wasn't scared to lose my truck plenty of ice for that this year! Ahhh being responsible really sucks sometimes lol!! ;D

When I was a senior in high school (winter of 1976, or it might have been the winter after I graduated), I was partying with my friends at our family cabin at Lake Gerard in Sussex County.  About midnight we go out for a walk on the ice. It was late January and we never even bothered to check it for thickness.  About 1/2 mile from the house our friend Bill, a big guy who was pushing 300 lbs, passed out on the ice from too much booze.  We couldn't budge him. Concerned that he could die of hypothermia I had the "brilliant" idea bringing my car out on the ice to pick him up.   So I drove the car to the other side of the lake where there was a beach and was able to get it on the ice. It was a 1969, four door Impala, so we're not talking something light. 

We drove up to Bill, loaded him into the back seat, then drove around the lake doing donuts on the ice and snow. The sort of alcohol fueled, teenage antic that made many of us lucky to survive to adulthood.

I did check the ice the next day out of curiosity and was 14 or 15 inches.  Ideally we would have checked before we took the car out though.

Offline loustru

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2014, 05:43 AM »
There was a Jeep driving on Greenwood Friday afternoon.  ;D

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 08, 2014, 06:50 AM »
Having your car/4WD get a full immersion detailing ain't half the problem. Who in this end of the country has the skills and tools to do a recovery at 3-5K. Then the tickets and fines. All chump change until the EPA gets into the act for pollution. And last but certainly not least, if you happen to be in that submarine when it touches bottom.

Offline iceehot6766

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 08, 2014, 07:49 AM »
16" solid ice yesterday in Sussex county still.....

Offline c morbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 08, 2014, 08:30 AM »
Brian, that was a GREAT story! reminded me of my teenage years sounds like fun driving on ice and doing donuts.69 impala muscle car memories from the 60's.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.