Author Topic: 2010 Electronics & other equipment Check list  (Read 1686 times)

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
2010 Electronics & other equipment Check list
« on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:01 PM »
My portable case for the Piranha Max FF came in today. Now I need the ice ducer to follow. It should be here soon enough. I'll start assembling this tonight.

I started getting my stuff out a couple days ago. Gonna respool the jigging pole and put circle hooks on the tip-ups to avoid any gut hooking this season. That likely means no steel leaders this year. But with the circles I should not need them.

Time to check the auger, charge the batteries, work on the sled, organize the bait bucket, spud bar and sled. I think I'll bring a rope this year for any fall thru the ice issues. Maybe even rig up a type 1 life jacket for safety sake.

Am I forgetting anything?

Offline shadylakeice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 2010 Electronics & other equipment
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:24 PM »
While you're at the circlies don't forget leaders, frayed mono.or flouro. (if ya use it) is a real bummer. Life presever always great idea, I keep one in sled at all times especially early or late season when planking it.

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
Re: 2010 Electronics & other equipment Check list
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2010, 11:25 AM »
A flotation jacket keeps you from going under. I would be more interested in the SPIKES that get you out if you do go in. With a jacket on you still have to get out. Rope if you are not alone, spikes under any conditions are mandatory. The best 5-7 bucks you could ever spend.

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2010, 11:31 AM »
Hey fishgalore. How long have you been using circle hooks on your tip-ups? I thought about using them but, I seem to remember reading last year that some guys didn't have much luck with them, how about you?
:icefish:

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2010, 03:08 PM »
Hey fishgalore. How long have you been using circle hooks on your tip-ups? I thought about using them but, I seem to remember reading last year that some guys didn't have much luck with them, how about you?

This will be my first year thru the ice with circles. But I used them this summer and they were great. Not one missed hook up. Of course the amount of hook ups was not large either. Probably less than 10 tries. We switched when we started gut hooking Lakers on RV. I got my 1st muskie on a circle in September too with live bait.

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2010, 03:49 PM »
Galore circles don't work well on tipups. Stick to the j's or make some tipdowns.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2010, 05:31 PM »
Galore circles don't work well on tipups. Stick to the j's or make some tipdowns.

Thanks for the advise. I'm gonna try 2 with & keep 2 without. I focus on jigging now but I always keep a close watch on the tip-ups too. So as long as I get to it fast enough I should see if they work. I found a couple of forum discussions on the topic and some have said it works for them.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=120034.0
http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=476828

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Circles through the ice aren't worth it IMHO. Most fish just don't run like they do when the temps are warm (the only real exception seems to be stripers over deep water and pike) and quite a few fish end up gut hooked anyway from prior experience.
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2010, 12:53 PM »
I use circles for perch and crappies. Then again I only fish for perch and crappies on hardwater. Tipups and cicles go together like black and white. Now if you want something that goes together like vanilla and chocolate using circles try tipdowns, erie tipdowns, slammers or a forked stick just not a tipup..

Offline kvdism

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:13 PM »
auger
shanty
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
jigs
vexilar
atv
buddy
we need ice
my bucket is filled with gills + perch + crappie + trout = released lots of monster bass and pike musky walleye <br />the all time dream

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2010, 03:13 PM »
I'll be checking all my gear in the next day or so... and don't worry guys I put ice on my x-mas list for santa so we should be good!

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Well then I sure hope that you have been a good boy !!  lol

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:36 PM »
Well guys thanks for all the comments. I'll be kicking myself in the arse when I miss a couple lunker with the circles. But I have to say I've seen the pickerel run pretty good on the tip-ups and I got a nice 4 lb LM Bass at Mt. Hope Pond last year that ran pretty good too! Gotta give it a try at least on 2 tip ups, I must be stubborn or stupid    :flex:::)???  :-\ :cookoo:

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:40 PM »
Galore since I drive by Mt Hope I'll stop by to say I told you so :o.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:50 PM »
Galore since I drive by Mt Hope I'll stop by to say I told you so :o.

:roflmao: u r  >:D I am  :cookoo:

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:57 PM »
lol

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:57 PM »
Ice ducer came in today. I'll have electronics for new years eve. Look out fishies here I come!!!! >:D >:D >:D

I may go to the "Pond" after work tomorrow to test it out for Friday. No  :nono: more fishing in holes where there are no fish on the screen!!!! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :thumbsup: :woot:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.