Author Topic: lake trout tactics  (Read 1125 times)

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
lake trout tactics
« on: Feb 09, 2010, 04:14 PM »
Ok I am skiing into a high mountain lake  tonight that is full of cutthroat trout, but by some wierd science also has lake trout in it.  It is a pretty small lake now, maybe 200 yards by 800 max 50 ft deep. It used to be a pretty big reservior, but they knocked it down about 20 yrs ago.  So they used to stock lake trout and there are hold overs.  I know of a 18 # and a 12 # in the last 5 years comming out of there durring the summer.  And alot of the cuts I catch have evidence of beings muched by something much bigger.  So I know they are in there.  There are plenty of small cutts and brookies to feed on, so I wonder how hungry they are.  But what is my best bet for going after them?  I am going to take my falsher and look for some deep water in the middle of the lake, but what jig, bait combo should I try.  no live bait allowed, but I can try some dead minnows.  Any help would be awesome

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: lake trout tactics
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:13 PM »
Dead ciscoes or herring on a tip up, airplane jigs tipped with a piece of fish, williams whitefish plain or tipped, 3"-4" white tube jigs , 3/8 to 1/2 oz.
Look for humps, drop offs, steep dropping shoreline structure (ie. points, cliffs etc)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.