The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: VHS rules  (Read 12077 times)

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: VHS rules
« Reply #30 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:34 AM »
Informative Brochure.  Can't say as I agree with it but it does simplify interpreting the rules:

dnr.wi.gov/fish/documents/vhs_baitanglers1107legal.pdf

Thanks Ice Dog 67 - Here is the hyperlink so you don't have to cut and paste. Makes it a little easier for the NON Geek Squad  :wacko:

http://www.dnr.wi.gov/fish/documents/vhs_baitanglers1107legal.pdf

Offline fishermen50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 19, 2007, 08:23 PM »
This is the dumbest rule yet.   But they won't be a changeing the rules any time soon.  Just take out what you need  leave the rest in the car until needed.  Thats what our group of guys are doing.  Tight lines  Rich

Offline Fishin Medic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 20, 2007, 12:14 PM »
Well, I read the brochure and I can't stop laughing. Don't get me wrong......  I think the disease is serious but some of the things in the FAQ section are just comical. Write it down now. By next summer you'll have to kill your leeches after you leave a lake since they were in "water".  :o

The 4th paragraph on the front even admits that we may even be buying minnows from a bait shop that are already infected with the virus. Hello.......

My favorite though is if you buy minnows in bulk it is acceptable to keep them in your vehicle and use them on other waters but if you're going to back your boat into the water then you need to remove the minnows from the vehicle. Once the vehicle is on the bank or in the water then the minnows are considered to have been "in/on" the lake.  ???

Offline Ice Dog 67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DCB = Delta Bravo
« Reply #33 on: Dec 20, 2007, 12:17 PM »
Yep it's assinine!  I know of no fewer than 15 people that have already said to h$ll with this BS and continue to take their minnows to and from different lakes...............no t that I'm condoning it but I'm sure as h$ll not condemning it!

Offline LENNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 20, 2007, 12:32 PM »
With the way things are going it is becoming acceptable to break the laws in the general public, What used to be looked down upon is becoming the norm. If the DNR expects people to be law abiding then the laws should be reasonable. With the by the seat of your pants rules for VHS and CWD they are making it almost respectable to be a law breaker and we all know once you start breaking the little laws then its only a matter of time before you start breaking them all just because you got away with it before. If they think they have problems know wait until the next generation grows up thinking violating is the way to do things. Hate to kill the minnows but we need to set a good example for the next generation or I think we will all suffer down the road.

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 20, 2007, 02:18 PM »
its only a matter of time until we can only use artificial lures so we best enjoy it while we can.  By 2020 we will have to dispose of any artificial lures that we used on a certain body of water to stop the spread of future contaminents in the water.  Its up to us as sportsman to make sure that we do not contaminate our favorite fishing lakes and rivers as we will be the 1st to be blamed and regulated.
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline fishermen50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 20, 2007, 05:16 PM »
I am pretty sure they mean if you get the minnows from that lake or pond or if you transfer water from the lake into your bucket. Cause it wouldn't make much sence to kill minnows that sat in your bucket next to you on the ice and never seen the water. Maybe I am wrong.

They mean take no live bait off of ice after fishing.  Must all be dumped out on the shore or in the garbage.  If you put them in your vehicle alive after fishing you are breaking the law.
That is what the rules say. >:( >:( >:(

Offline Ice Dog 67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DCB = Delta Bravo
« Reply #37 on: Dec 21, 2007, 09:38 AM »
Yep...............that's exactly what they're saying.

Offline RW1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 21, 2007, 10:44 AM »
Yeah thats what the rules SAY....

Offline Mounter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 22, 2007, 03:22 PM »
  It states that you can dispose of them at home. Why not empty the water out of your bucket and refill it with a spare gallon of distilled water when you leave the vicinity of the lake.    ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ice Dog 67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DCB = Delta Bravo
« Reply #40 on: Dec 22, 2007, 03:24 PM »
They still have to be dead when you leave the lake.

Offline GatorBait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Jig it like you mean it
« Reply #41 on: Dec 22, 2007, 03:26 PM »
These amounts were given to me by a local Warden. :(  Understand these are the default amounts and are always subject to change (+/-) once in front of the judge.

$329.00 for attempting bring live minnows from the lake to shore.

$249.00 for not draining all water from bilges, ballast, livewells, BAIT BUCKETS and other containers BEFORE you leave the bank or shore of any water.

$208.00 for using dead bait that hasn't been preserved or from the water which it came from.

I understand the DNR's concern about the virus, but logical thinking goes like this. We as humans carry all sorts of diseases as do fish. This virus isn't brand new, didn't just become known the other day, why in god's name do they go overboard with all this. I don't see anyother surrounding states in panic about it, just Wisconsin. Same BS as with CWD. Seems to be just another excuse for grant money.

Offline LENNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 08, 2008, 12:29 PM »
Has anyone been checked yet, or heard of anyone being checked. I've talked with a lot of guys and none have been checked, a lot of them don't know (or claim they don't) about the rules. I've dumped out a few minnows but mostly i'm only taking a few at a time from the vehicle. ran out one day and had to pull in a tip up or run back top the car. i was thinking i'd get a ticket for unattended lines for going to the vehicle since i couldn't see my tip-ups from the car.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #43 on: Jan 08, 2008, 12:39 PM »
 What has to be done in order for bait to be considered "Preserved"?
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #44 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:10 PM »
Fleet Farm has preserved minnows. They are around 8.00-9.00 dollars a bag not sure how many in a bag and they seemed to be about medium sized for the shiners they did have other sizes also. This was at the Menomonie, Wi store

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 09, 2008, 09:05 AM »
well now , heres a question.......

was thinking of buying a set of those fake weeds for my aqua-vu camera cable but got to thinking.....wouldnt i have to ditch these fake weeds once i left the lake????
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #46 on: Jan 09, 2008, 12:13 PM »
Would they consider frozen minnows as preserved?
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #47 on: Jan 10, 2008, 01:27 PM »

To:      Governor Jim Doyle                        Lt. Governor Lawton

115 East State Capitol

Madison, WI  53702

608-266-1212                          608-267-8983 Fax

Online www.wisgov.state.wi.us/contact.asp?locid=19

Senator ______________________ _____________________ (See Senate Map)

Representative ______________________ ___________ (See Assembly Map)

Click here to find Legislators http://waml.legis.state.wi.us/

Re:    DNR Emergency and Permanent Rules Concerning VHS

Dear Sirs:

Please do not approve the DNR’s Permanent VHS (Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia) rules (FH-30-70). 

In October of 2007, DNR  Bureau Director Mike Staggs proposed to the NRB (Natural Resources Board) emergency rules relating to VHS, FH-40-07 (E).  In this proposal, DNR recommended these rules apply to only those water bodies currently infected with VHSv.  NRB amended this proposal to a state wide application of the emergency rule. As a result, among other restrictions, anglers are required to dump their bait before leaving the water body they have been fishing, which includes all 15,000 lakes in Wisconsin, plus our rivers.   This regulation is unenforceable, unnecessarily restrictive, and impractical.

We all want to protect our precious natural resources, anglers, live bait outlets, DNR personnel, and politicians included.  The DNR’s original proposal to the NRB will accomplish this without creating confusing, complicated rules which will discourage the common angler and detrimentally impact the tourism industry in Wisconsin.

Therefore, we urge you to ask the NRB to amend the emergency rule relating to VHSv so the regulations are specific to VHS infected water bodies only, and not applied state wide.  We are confident the 1.4 million licensed anglers in this state will show their appreciation through their votes, as well as the numerous impacted small business owners.

Thank you for taking action to represent your constituents.

Name:            ______________________ ______________________ ________

Address:        ______________________ ______________________ ________

http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #48 on: Jan 10, 2008, 01:30 PM »
Buck 1985 "NO" only in brine
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline jigsup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 28, 2008, 04:57 AM »
 Sat. I left my minnow bucket in icehouse on the lake. Next day they were fine. Now when it gets really cold they will freeze into bucket does that mean i have to leave the whole bucket on shore and what till spring to empty water. Another thought last weekend i saw some Bald eagles eating dead minnows left on ice Does that mean we will have to start shooting the eagles so they don't go to another body of water?

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #50 on: Jan 28, 2008, 07:09 PM »
Do not foget about the Coyote eating the dead minnows one the ice.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline fathead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:37 PM »
welcome to minnow restrictions wis.  ny banned transport last year without a cer. receipt now we are paying $7.00 a dip (50 minnows) and can only use them for a week then the receipts no good.
SEMPER FI

Offline miller326

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kill'em ya grill'em
« Reply #52 on: Feb 18, 2008, 07:04 PM »
that is just horrible how much money we have to spend

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Mar 24, 2008, 08:04 PM »
 Thank you, Lord! The bait rules, may be changing soon!

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Mar 25, 2008, 05:57 PM »
Really what are they considering now ???   In hope something way more sensible.

Offline Ice Dog 67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DCB = Delta Bravo
« Reply #55 on: Mar 26, 2008, 08:42 AM »
DNR ready to alter VHS rules, allow limited re-use of minnows

By TODD RICHMOND
Associated Press Writer

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- State wildlife officials have agreed to relax rules to contain a deadly fish virus by allowing anglers to reuse bait minnows under certain conditions.

Current VHS emergency rules prohibit the movement of live fish from any Wisconsin water. Those regulations expire April 7.

The state Department of Natural Resources wanted to make the movement ban part of a permanent regulatory package the agency has been developing.

But Republican lawmakers balked at that idea because it forces anglers to discard good bait minnows - a popular universal bait - and buy new ones for every outing, even if the fishermen would have reused the minnows on the same body of water.

The Assembly Natural Resources Committee, which has the power to object to the DNR's proposal, asked the agency to revise the plan.

The DNR offered a compromise Wednesday that would permit anglers to use the same minnows again if they come from a registered Wisconsin dealer, they haven't come into contact with any wild water and they're used on the same water body.

"I think we can agree to this," said state Rep. Scott Gunderson, a Waterford Republican who chairs the Assembly Natural Resources Committee. "This will make a lot of fishermen more apt to agree with the rule."

Jim Schleifer, an Onalaska fisherman who serves as the western Wisconsin director for the state Bass Federation, said the changes would make life easier for anglers.

"They've wasted what they didn't use and they have to buy new tomorrow," Schleifer said. "It's probably a reasonable relaxation of the rules."

The DNR plans to ask the Natural Resources Board to insert the changes into the existing emergency rule and the permanent rule package next week.

If the board OKs the changes, DNR fisheries management director Mike Staggs said he expects the Legislature's rules committee will extend the emergency rule beyond April 7 until the permanent rules are published. Board Chairwoman Christine Thomas didn't immediately return a message from The Associated Press seeking comment.

VHS can't harm humans. But it can cause a variety of trophy fish to bleed to death from the inside out and has caused massive fish kills in the Great Lakes.

The virus turned up in the Lake Winnebago chain in May.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Apr 05, 2008, 10:28 PM »
     :whistle:  Politics's.   :whistle:

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Aug 09, 2008, 10:06 PM »
 V.H.S. BAIT RULES, CHANGE!! THANK GOD!!