Author Topic: Walleye Targeters ONLY!!!!!!!  (Read 3977 times)

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Walleye Targeters ONLY!!!!!!!
« on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:51 PM »
Just a courious question for you all,when you're jigging deeper water either with Raps,Pimples,Darters or Shiver Moon Glos,and you're sittin there pumpin them baits and all the sudden u call a fish in whats the first thing you do........Do u shake it in his face?Do you work it above him?In all honesty what do u do?After I get a few remarks I'll tell ya what I do,even if one of you said what I do, Ill tell ya,I was taught by an ole timer that some of ya all know,"OLE SMITTY"all remarks are appreciated,lets hear how to catch walleyes fellows????? ???

Jimmy

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Walleye Targeters ONLY!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:53 PM »
Jimmy,

I drop mine straight to the bottom if I am fishing Saginaw Bay.  If not,  I will raise and make him chase.

Offline wawaseebass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:54 PM »
I keep pumping it just like I was when the fish came in. I always pause 5-10 seconds at the bottom, if they are interested they will usually grab it on one of the pauses not long after they came in. (Just how I was taught it seems to work okay :thumbsup:)

Offline jrtbaits

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • wishin' i was fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:56 PM »
I usually try to do as close to the same action that called the fish in as possible ... I've found that if you change your action too much the fish seem to know that something is up and back off ... although some times just deadstickin' the bait just above them works too

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:59 PM »
I agree... If it called the fish in then don't change unless it leaves!!!
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:03 PM »
I lift once more and make the fall a controlled and shivering one and let it sit in his face for a second or two.  That's the first thing I do.  And if he hits it, I let him "swaller it down to his ####### and then jack his jaw for him", as a wiseman once said to me.  LOL

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:08 PM »
Its definitely different from Saginaw Bay to Erie to Indiana... If we're talking Indiana, and I'm tight to the bottom, I make sharp dart of the bottom (about a foot), then use a technque I coined as the "turbo twitch and raise", if they turn there nose at it I go to the "cuse them out" technique!
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline $$HardwaterJunki$$

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:10 PM »
I slam the bottom a few times

Offline Gill Gitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good friends -- Great times
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:22 PM »
As soon as i see him come off the bottom and gets close i will jig him about another foot and as he covers the bait up on the flasher i will pause!! I found this gives me the oppertunity with my medium action rod to feel the thump n after the third thump i will set the hook! I found that when i would try n set the hook on the first thump i was not givin the fish enough time to get the jiggin rap in his mouth and i also found that if i continued to jig the whole time without a pause i would have less fish actually hit it!! Obviously this is just what i found works for me!

Offline indybogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing,hunting and family the best things in life
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:31 PM »
I like to jig 2 to 3 inches bouncing off the bottom then after 5 or 6 touches of the bottom do a slow rise of about a foot when the fish comes in I keep the routine and the slow rise usually lets me feel the fish sometimes a little tick sometimes if they are slow the line just gets heavy but definitely give him time to get it before setting the hook.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:02 PM »
I owe my refined technique to hightide. Two years ago over some keystones at the americann he helped me with my spoon and rap  techniques. . I have caught many other walleye since and now have some confidence...
.no longer just have panfish skills
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:06 PM »
when the fish shows up....i continue the lift...fall and pause.  I will do this 2 to 3 or more times, as long as the fish is reacting in an aggressive way.  For me the pause is the key or "killer move".  When the rap falls on slack line it shoots out to the side...the "pause" is when the rap is swinging (swimming) horizontally back to it's starting position.  The "pause" may be a split second or as long as 3-4 seconds depending on the fish's mood.  You really need to be watching your flasher to read how the fish is reacting to your presentation!

If I don't get bit...i go to other techniques to provoke a strike.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline ice_mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:20 PM »
It's going to be fun this year for me. With the new fl22 I'll be able to see what's under me.
Never tried for eyes in water deeper than 10ft due to not knowing where they were.
In the shallows I bounce off the bottom then a fast jerk and hold a foot up til the rap or pimple centers the hole. then repeat if no bite.
Most of the time they hit as the lure is drifting to the center of the hole a foot up off the bottom.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:23 PM »
It's going to be fun this year for me. With the new fl22 I'll be able to see what's under me.
Never tried for eyes in water deeper than 10ft due to not knowing where they were.
In the shallows I bounce off the bottom then a fast jerk and hold a foot up til the rap or pimple centers the hole. then repeat if no bite.
Most of the time they hit as the lure is drifting to the center of the hole a foot up off the bottom.
Yeah, what he said X2

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:42 PM »
If he doesn't take it on first instinct I pull it up about 3 or 4 ft and let it drop.
High pumps like its leaving the scene.
Tom

Offline Kingofthekankakee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:53 PM »
I've been jigging for walleyes over 20 years and found walleyes to act different at various times but most my hot come from a controlled drop I mean I don't just jig it and let it fall fast I jig it and control a slower drop

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:58 PM »
I start at bottom (jigging rap- Swedish pimple)  bounce it off the bottom for about 10 seconds slowly start working it up until I draw in fish or after raising it several ft, start the process over, but when I do draw in a eye --- my instincts take over, my knees start shaking like a rubber goose! and all I can tell you afterwards is whether I caught or missed him! Pretty good technic heh? Fish with a vibe or blade baits is a little different , my most effective weapon

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:00 PM »
I do the steady pump then quickly raise about a foot then tight line back to the original depth and repeat. I haven't caught many through the ice, but every one has come blasting in so fast that I barely have time to move my eyes from the Vex to my rod tip before they slam it.

...... well, except for the one time I was sight fishing a nice 'eye on Maxi. I worked that Rap for 15 mins. before he finally quit nose bumping it and swam off.  >:(

-Jeff

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:15 PM »
I owe my refined technique to hightide. Two years ago over some keystones at the americann he helped me with my spoon and rap  techniques. . I have caught many other walleye since and now have some confidence...
.no longer just have panfish skills
I remember that, then the next day you put a whipping on everybody, including me... LOL. Your shanty was 95 degrees and for a second I thought I was in the Bahamas  @) ;D! Just got a report, they're fishing the river, and the Bay has a nice skim coat.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:44 PM »
        If I call in a fish with a rap or a SP, I power jig it right at its level then slowly raise it  to see if it gets chased, I continue upward about 2 ft then let it drop, normally it gets hit on the fall or pause at the bottom. If not I do the same again,and again.   Darters are different. I slow twitch them up and down. hits come as it centers in the hole.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:07 PM »
start cranking that old phone!!!!!!!!!!  lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:09 PM »
High tide
Would you care to fill em in on the turbo twitch....Patented of course!! ;D ;)
Its taken a ton of toothy's on PC! Some would laugh at the thought of it but it does produce!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:12 PM »
Oh and I cannot be responsible for carpel tunnel syndrome as a result of said technique!

Offline philk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chasin that 12# eye
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:19 PM »
Jimmy,
When I fish deeper water my go to bait I prefer is blade baits.  I think these baits pull fish in from quite a distance away.   I rip them in long strokes but also let them rock a little.  I don’t like to thump the bottom.  I like to stay 2-3 feet off the bottom.  Heading to the UP for a week and I will be using these along with my new Rapala Snap Rap.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:44 PM »
High tide
Would you care to fill em in on the turbo twitch....Patented of course!! ;D ;)
Its taken a ton of toothy's on PC! Some would laugh at the thought of it but it does produce!
No, I will not fill them in... M-Paul is mad because I already said to much  ;) but if you see a few guys shaking like crazy on the ice, they might be cold or they may be on to something.... That's all I'm saying!

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:48 PM »
No, I will not fill them in... M-Paul is mad because I already said to much  ;) but if you see a few guys shaking like crazy on the ice, they might be cold or they may be on to something.... That's all I'm saying!

I seen ya do that at Sag Bay......;)
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Just a courious question for you all,when you're jigging deeper water either with Raps,Pimples,Darters or Shiver Moon Glos,and you're sittin there pumpin them baits and all the sudden u call a fish in whats the first thing you do........Do u shake it in his face?Do you work it above him?In all honesty what do u do?After I get a few remarks I'll tell ya what I do,even if one of you said what I do, Ill tell ya,I was taught by an ole timer that some of ya all know,"OLE SMITTY"all remarks are appreciated,lets hear how to catch walleyes fellows????? ???

Jimmy
Well Jimmy, I think we are now past a few remarks... Waiting on your advise now... ;D ;D ;)
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:55 PM »
a pimple doin mach 3 in a 2 inch verticle stretch is more than they can take! I miss the friday night get togethers!

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:00 PM »
a pimple doin mach 3 in a 2 inch verticle stretch is more than they can take! I miss the friday night get togethers!
Jimmy and Brawler where just talking about the Friday nighters on Monday... I say we bring them back!!

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:02 PM »

If he didn't know anything about icefishing, that comment right there could perplex a guy.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.