Author Topic: Sled pulling harness  (Read 11831 times)

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
Sled pulling harness
« on: Nov 28, 2010, 06:26 PM »
Has anybody tried this harness put out by the Clam Corp. I have a Yukon and just wondering if it would help at all in the snow or is it a waste of money. I know I'll get a few "get a snowmobile or quad" but just can't afford it ;D

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
Re: Sled pulling harness
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2010, 06:33 PM »
I made my own by using a leather weight lifting belt and rigging it with threaded eyes on each side. I use 1/2 conduit coming from my sled and on the end of the conduit I have carabiners that attach to the eyes on the weight lifting belt. It works really good!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2010, 06:39 PM »
I've only briefly seen the Clam product, but it looks complicated and probably expensive.

Several years ago I made a harness for my Otter mag sled/cabin. It's nothing more than a length of 2" web strap with both ends fastened to the sled. I step inside the loop and put the top of the loop in front of my shoulders and behind my neck. There's a sliding piece that I can adjust to come across the front of my chest to take the brunt of the load.

All the pull comes across the front of my chest and a bit on top of my shoulders. I can adjust that point to some extent by using the slider across my chest. Lots easier than hanging on to a rope to pull and enough for two guys to share pulling up a hill and the like.

Cheap too.........mine was a retired boat trailer winch strap.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2010, 06:39 PM »
Does it make it easier than pulling by hand ?

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2010, 06:41 PM »
I've only briefly seen the Clam product, but it looks complicated and probably expensive.

Several years ago I made a harness for my Otter mag sled/cabin. It's nothing more than a length of 2" web strap with both ends fastened to the sled. I step inside the loop and put the top of the loop in front of my shoulders and behind my neck. There's a sliding piece that I can adjust to come across the front of my chest to take the brunt of the load.

All the pull comes across the front of my chest and a bit on top of my shoulders. I can adjust that point to some extent by using the slider across my chest. Lots easier than hanging on to a rope to pull and enough for two guys to share pulling up a hill and the like.

/m

You just answered, ;D

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2010, 07:15 AM »
I've seen it used. Probally cheaper to make one out of some webbing. Your Yukon is getting kind of heavy to pull at the best of times by hand. What ever you attach to it rope,webbing try to make it long. It is a lot easier with a long rope than a short one. travel light and pack most of your gear in the rear to keep the front up. Waxing the bottom of the tub really helps it glide too.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline guardbr8kr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:41 AM »

/m

cool beans !

Offline smellysockalarmclock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2010, 01:19 PM »
Its not much different than a deer drag harness!
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=429233&pdesc=Big_Game_Treestands_Deluxe_Deer_Drag&aID=503L6C&merchID=4006

I had planned on going this route for 10 bucks vs the clam.

Offline Mr_Jigster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2010, 01:37 PM »
Its not much different than a deer drag harness!
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=429233&pdesc=Big_Game_Treestands_Deluxe_Deer_Drag&aID=503L6C&merchID=4006

I had planned on going this route for 10 bucks vs the clam.

Thats what I did last year.........bought a deer dragging harness.  Same thing as the clam, and a lot cheaper!  Oh ya, it worked real good.

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2010, 05:50 PM »
Gander Mountain here I come ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thanks for your advice guys 8)

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2010, 12:16 PM »
X3 for the Deer Dragging Harness. Cheap solution and much better than by hand.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline walkerd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:02 AM »
Clam harness 50 bucks, deer dragen harness hummmm never thought of that ill have to check price has to be cheaper than 50 bucks

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:16 AM »
i have the "two man" deer drag... ;) 

Offline wolverine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I ain't gettin em I'm Lookin
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:10 AM »
Wife made me mine with 2" webbing, it goes over the shoulders and crosses in back and has a snap in front. The tether is 10' long, what a difference this has made pulling my scout with way too much stuff in it. You know how that is. Might need something and had empty space so fill er up.

Offline bri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:44 PM »
I used two dock lines tied together, as they're justing sitting in the shed for the off-season.  They're 10', 5/8" with the spliced loop at the end.  The extra length really helps in the snow and if you've got a buddy along, undo the knot and the loop gives you each a nice hand-hold to pull together.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2010, 02:33 PM »
I broke down and got it about a month ago... had a gift certificate so it wasn't too bad. So far I gotta say it's nice. Feel like a bit of a sled dog putting it on, but having the weight on your core intead of your arms is great. Plus you're able to carry stuff with your free hand if needed. Also for shorter distances or there is little to no snow on the  ice I just combine the two carabiners to form a large strap to pull instead of hooking it to the harness.

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:24 PM »
I had a bunch of cheapo  Deer stand harnesses from buying stands, made myself a real nice pulling harness

Offline FISH2163

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:52 PM »
I like mine. The body harness part could have be a little easier to get on, but for the most part its better than pulling your sled by hand - especially when you have two kids riding in it.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2010, 12:33 AM »
My mechanic at work gave me an old harness from a deer stand he had.  Havent used it yet, but that is what I intend to use it for.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline huntsfurfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:46 PM »
I have the clam harness and really like it.  Got it for 30 or 35 bucks last year.  Makes pulling my Clam Yukon easier.

Offline ICE KID

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got perch?
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:29 AM »
I bought a hunter safty system, and it came with a deer drag, and it work's REALLY well for pulling deer, or sled's
give me 5 good reasons to head home and I'll pretend to consider it.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2011, 03:30 PM »
I had a bunch of cheapo  Deer stand harnesses from buying stands, made myself a real nice pulling harness

have not done this but have a bunch of these lying around. have to give it try.

Offline peddletothemeddle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2011, 10:14 AM »
i have used mine twice now and i love my clam harness.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:24 PM »
I got the clam harness this year. So far I like it.

I pull a medium size Otter sled with all my gear, auger etc...using the harness with no real problems. I like the fact that the straps clips onto your hips, so you hands are free for using the chisel while checking the ice. Also suggest wearing creepers on your feet for good traction. I haven't tried pulling my portable yet with it but will do so with my ATV or Snowmobile.

I used to use a rope and run it through a piece of garden hose for my hands (like a handle) and would sling that over one shoulder and pull the sled that way. After a while, your upper body starts to hurt from pulling from one shoulder. Pulling from both sides of your hip is much better on the body.

Just using this clam harness for early ice fishing. Takes a bit of getting use to putting on the harness but after a couple of tries, it's no problem. I like the hip buckle, sternum strap and the fact that you can tighten up the should pads as well. The little pockets to hold the straps are a nice touch as well.

JIGGIN.

Offline 03rangerfx4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2011, 02:28 PM »
I have one.
If I ever lose it, I WILL buy another, that very day.
Very Handy.

Dan
Dan

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:43 PM »
I have a clam Yukon and thought about buying the harness for pulling it around although last year took some climbing rope and lenghtened the stock rope on the sled and added a few loops in it to make like backpack straps with the rope. Moving was as easy and throwin the shoulder straps on and start walking worked pretty good but after a long drag the rope would start to dig in a little bit deffinatly needed some modifying. Might run to the store and see if they have any deer drag harnesses on sale seen as the seasons over.

Offline Cterp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:15 AM »
Celt6 +1

Offline justlooking9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2011, 12:24 PM »
I use a deer dragging harness as well. Cheap and works great

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:13 PM »
I use a deer dragging harness as well. Cheap and works great
That could be the sled of the year!!!  Awesome idea.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline Scott Beitzel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:19 PM »
i thought about a harness but for some reason i don't like the idea of being attached to anyting even my backpack with my extra cloths and food rides on the sled i think if i should happen to fall in i would rather not be attached to anything but then again thats not saying it could also help but i don't know .

but the webbing off a boat strap would be the cheapest and the best way to make one heck it can be bought for a few dollors at walmart or heck you could use an old seat belt out of a bygone car thats been junked .

Scott

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.