Author Topic: Automatic Fisherman  (Read 1997 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
Automatic Fisherman
« on: Feb 09, 2009, 05:36 PM »
I had just got my automatic fisherman and I have only caught 1 perch so far well fishing for walleye.  The perch had swallowed the hook and it went down its throat, but it did what it was suppose to, set the hook.  Has anyone tried to use octopus hooks for the automatic fisherman?  Did it hook more in the mouth instead of the throat?  Did this decrease the hook set average when it did set the hook?  Thank You

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Automatic Fisherman
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:55 PM »
my wife is my automatic fisherman (woman)...she sets the hooks...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:58 PM »
Pegasus on Team Maine is an automatic fisherman, but his arm gets tired.

HA!  A little humor from the Moosehead trip, but he'll never find it....

MD

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2009, 09:29 AM »
Got the "Automatic" Fisherman for Christmas, at first I thought it was another one of those gimmicks that would end up in the attic.

I am really impressed with it, and compared to my other tip ups,  it has the best hook up ratio this winter. (By a wide margin)

They can be a little difficult to get set up, until you get used to it.  Here's how I rig mine :

I have one of the spools rigged with a superbraid fishing line, I then tie on a leader.  Usually a couple of feet of #8 pound flourocarbon fishing line, to my quick strike rig.

I use small trebbles, #12 for pike, #16 for Walleye, and #20 for panfish, trout and whitefish.

I don't know about using the octopus style hooks,  because this thing sets the hook, I think you would be better off with treble hooks.

So far this year I have caught Bass, Pike, Walleye, Brook trout, perch and whitefish on my automatic fisherman the hooking percentage is awesome, and I have only had the thing trip twice without finding a fish on the line.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.