Author Topic: Question?  (Read 891 times)

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Question?
« on: Nov 25, 2008, 12:55 PM »
This might seem like a dumb question but what keeps the ice from freezing in these
new man made weed structure. I do like the idea, but if I go to leave I would like to take them with me, and not search for the at ice out. Maybe I am not very informed about them yet.
Greg
GO DWENGER!!!!!!! ;D
Fish on!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Question?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2008, 12:57 PM »
they dont come with anything to stop them from being frozen in, like your fiashing hole you would need to keep an eye on it, and try to keep it clean. I know the "reel weeds" have large floats that sit in the hole, but I usually have to break them out come days end

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2008, 01:00 PM »
Do you like yours?
Greg
Fish on!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2008, 01:41 PM »
yes and no...to be honest if I was looking at them right now, I would have bought the weedez over the reel weeds...but the weedez have there down fall as well, they dont come with weights or floats...so Im thinking about ordering the weedez and using the weights and floats from my reel weeds.

They did not see much action last year so im not confident in their success, but i did feel that the perch were sticking around a bit longer then the reel weeds were down there...but i dont know how much of a draw they were

Offline bsufishinguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2008, 02:03 PM »
i dont really get how these work..i know they provide structure..but in the winter especially dont weeds provide habitat for zooplankton for panfish to feed on?? and more oxygen..i dunno...he if it works it works right

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2008, 07:39 PM »
The idea with these is to create some structure in an area basically void of any other structure.  Fish like perch and walleye will roam a flat feeding in schools and will 'stick' by some structure when they find it.  These fake weeds provide that structure and your lure or live bait will hold the fish there a bit longer than if there was no structure there.  Anyone that has fished alot for perch knows how fast they can show up and then be gone.  If it holds the fish for a couple of minutes as they come by, it can mean quite a few more on the ice at the end of a day.  I am not sure they are worth all the extra holes you need to drill to set up a spread big enough to to attract and hold a school of fish.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2008, 08:01 AM »
Interesting fellas.

Offline daffydone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just gotta find some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2008, 10:55 PM »
&feature=related
I hope this works.
if your not walking on water, then you're not icefishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.