Author Topic: shanty repair  (Read 2211 times)

Offline jamesdegitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
shanty repair
« on: Nov 06, 2008, 09:16 PM »
Someone that lives around here had their house burn down, and they had a shapell 4 man shanty in their basement that survived.  It has no burn marks or anything on it, just some places where it had ripped and they duct taped it.  Also, it has some spots where mice had gotten into it and chewed some holes.  Does anyone think it is worth repairing, or should we just trash it.  It was given to the guy whose house burned down, and he doesn't want anything to do with it.  By the way, the house was a total loss but everyone in the house got out safely. 
I'm not getting skunked, I'm just eliminating water

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: shanty repair
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2008, 12:42 PM »
well I have and old shapell and thats how they said to fix it is with duct tape. they being (shapell) 

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2008, 01:05 PM »
Use it, I would!! C-ya, Crappie Rob. The fish can't tell it's a used shack!!
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2008, 01:08 PM »
Depending on how bad the holes are I have repaired mine with iron on patches they sell for blue jeans. They come in different colors. I ironed one on the inside and one on the outside. They have held up for 2 years now.
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2008, 01:11 PM »
Depending on how bad the holes are I have repaired mine with iron on patches they sell for blue jeans. They come in different colors. I ironed one on the inside and one on the outside. They have held up for 2 years now.
Good idea!! C-ya, Crappie Rob.
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2008, 01:42 PM »
Crappie Rob,
  I would contact Shapell and see if they shell replacement covers. Glad to hear no one was injured or killed in the fire.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2008, 06:59 AM »
I have always used duct tape myself....I like the idea of the iron on patches.....I am sure that shappell has replacement covers......

Offline gruntngrin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2008, 10:08 PM »
Someone that lives around here had their house burn down, and they had a shapell 4 man shanty in their basement that survived.  It has no burn marks or anything on it, just some places where it had ripped and they duct taped it.  Also, it has some spots where mice had gotten into it and chewed some holes.  Does anyone think it is worth repairing, or should we just trash it.  It was given to the guy whose house burned down, and he doesn't want anything to do with it.  By the way, the house was a total loss but everyone in the house got out safely. 

Drove by there just the other day,they were tearing the house down and burning it. I would just duck tape it up

Offline Farley

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM DUCK TAPE
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2008, 11:14 PM »
I'd duck tape it ......Thats what I do.   About 20 per cent duct tape already >:(

TEAM DUCT TAPE :)
If it ain't broken, you ain't try'in!

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2008, 09:38 AM »
I agree, go with the duct tape.  It will be fine, now all we need is some ICE!

Offline icezombie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2008, 08:59 AM »
its hard to beat duct tape. but gorilla tape is tough and sticky. and if you care, its black and matches the shelter.

Offline bsufishinguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2008, 11:44 AM »
if ya cant duct it...well you probably know the saying....

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2008, 12:39 PM »
i have a fish trap and had mice chew holes in it. I called Clam Corp and they sent me two 12" x 12" patches that i just cut to size and used 3M adhesive to glue them on with.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2008, 03:08 PM »
i have a fish trap and had mice chew holes in it. I called Clam Corp and they sent me two 12" x 12" patches that i just cut to size and used 3M adhesive to glue them on with.
Most all companies will send you material if you ask them. It has worked 4 me in the past. The spray on contact cement also works well. This is the kind for crafts. and I believe 3-M also makes a great product. GOOD LUCK.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.