Author Topic: any open water?  (Read 5627 times)

Offline Gill Gitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good friends -- Great times
any open water?
« on: Mar 16, 2008, 07:20 PM »
looking for my next adventure any info on fishable open water would be great ???

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: any open water?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2008, 07:31 PM »
If there's not already there will be after the next couple days of rain.

Lookin' at high of 50 and rain for most of Tuesday.  :'( :-\ :-[ :(
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2008, 07:33 PM »
gill is shoaf park ramp open? can get some nice channel cats up river from there. cedarvill isnt open yet ramp still froze in at leo.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2008, 07:41 PM »
river scum i hunt the river out of city limits obviously, but how deep is the river thru there? i can run in about 12 " on plane and buddy has a jet.  is it worth it early.  i fish a river up north everyweekend but curious with gas prices..
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Gill Gitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2008, 07:43 PM »
gill is shoaf park ramp open? can get some nice channel cats up river from there. cedarvill isnt open yet ramp still froze in at leo.
not sure have not been that way yet but i am ready for cedarvill i catch big crappie out from the boat launch and left go untill you get to the basin before the bridge and fish the shore.BIG CRAPPIES. but it has to be the right time.

Offline Gill Gitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2008, 07:48 PM »
river scum i hunt the river out of city limits obviously, but how deep is the river thru there? i can run in about 12 " on plane and buddy has a jet.  is it worth it early.  i fish a river up north everyweekend but curious with gas prices..
a-bomb river at leo is very difficult.sandbars are everywhere so go slow!have a buddy that will not go back because he was going about 30mph and hit a bar and came to a complete stop.OUCH!!!!but good fishing with frequent 6lb. bass and good crappie.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2008, 12:31 AM »
a-bomb

you can run fairly safe till 469 bridge. it gets real shallow just before there. you will find mostly 2-6ft with some real nice 10ft holes. i took a print off from terra server and made myself a map with depths as i went. if you go easy it is possible to go all the way to cedarville dam. i mean easy too! drop me a line and maybe we can hit it im ready most of fthe time. the cats should be in the deeper holes with wood in them shrimp and cut bait should catch them. another great option for fun is suckers caught on worms. there are some real trophys that run up cedar creek in early spring and they are great sport on light tackle!

if anyone checks the ramp please post if its open.

yes gill, those crapy are the best around for sure! many many 14s with 16+ possible. i have a lot of fun with them since they are just down the road from me. like a bomb the gass will keep me pretty local so give a shout out to me on crappy.com this spring summer guys.

OANN the real story

Offline Crookedlake92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2008, 09:26 PM »
a-bomb

you can run fairly safe till 469 bridge. it gets real shallow just before there. you will find mostly 2-6ft with some real nice 10ft holes. i took a print off from terra server and made myself a map with depths as i went. if you go easy it is possible to go all the way to cedarville dam. i mean easy too! drop me a line and maybe we can hit it im ready most of fthe time. the cats should be in the deeper holes with wood in them shrimp and cut bait should catch them. another great option for fun is suckers caught on worms. there are some real trophys that run up cedar creek in early spring and they are great sport on light tackle!

if anyone checks the ramp please post if its open.

yes gill, those crapy are the best around for sure! many many 14s with 16+ possible. i have a lot of fun with them since they are just down the road from me. like a bomb the gass will keep me pretty local so give a shout out to me on crappy.com this spring summer guys.
Another good spot is above/below the dam at the Wizards Stadium...... You name it, and I've caught it there........

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2008, 09:33 PM »
usually put in at kreager and run up by the  driving range.  your talking putting in at leo and going to 469??
i need a map!

Offline Mr. gill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2008, 10:23 PM »
A- bomb do you fish the spill way?

Offline Zoojunkie782

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2008, 07:39 AM »
I drove past the Shoaff park ramp three days ago- Looked clear to launch. Good luck on the river!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2008, 08:56 AM »
thx zoo!

a-bomb   no, i meant up from shoaf ramp bud.

OANN the real story

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2008, 12:42 PM »
i have only lived here 15 years man!!!   i have never been by shoaf park or know where its at ....i'll get out the map!!  these rivers always looked a little murky to me. i fish the st joe out of elkhart and bristol mostly every weekend .  Kinda like the gin clear water and smallies, and out by  myself.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2008, 04:16 PM »
i didnt think that you mite not know where shoaf park is bud,sorry. its off st joe road just north of st joe ctr rd. stay on the main road as you enter dont turn lft. it will take you back past the golf club to the ramp at the end of the road. the main fish in this stretch are catfish, carp, sucker, crapy, pike and largmouth bass. there are a few smallies in there but cedar creek is better by far for those. there is also a ramp across colosium blvd. from johnny appleseed dam. you will be wading cedar creek unless you have a canoe. yes the waters are muddy most of the time in our three rivers. cedar creek flows clear in dry weather access to that is in cedarville or on hursh rd(thats off tonkle rd north of dupont rd.) you like gin clear water and smallies go to hurshtown res. when it opens in may.

sorry, i didnt think about you not knowing where shoaf park was it used to be everybodys hang-out back in the day.

OANN the real story

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2008, 04:34 PM »
no prob, i fish hurshtown alot and drive over the creek in leo....  will have to do some close to home eve trips with gas headed to 4.50 a gal by memorial day (CNN).  wasn't ceadarville drained a couple years back?? know it has good crappies but the couple bass tourneys i've seen had some LOW weights to win....like 3#'s....

Offline kesdadddy7597

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2008, 06:17 PM »
Where do you look for the smallies on Cedar Creek.  I have fished the northern stretches around CR 68 for most of my life and have just caught chubs, carp and catfish, but I live in Leo now.  Is there a good population of bronzebacks in the section of the creek around here?  I would like to find some of those, to play with in my spare time.

Offline Wags

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2008, 06:45 PM »
I had no idea so many people fished hurshtown on this board might have to do some sort of late fishing night for IceShanty members.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2008, 08:11 PM »
i'm the camo john boat with down rigger on the back and planner boards......is that hill-jack or what!!!
awesome smallies and wallies once ya figure 'em out!   then they change!! :(

count me in!!!

Offline Wags

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 18, 2008, 09:54 PM »
Ya we tried to find something through the ice but had no luck drilled couple hundred holes not one flag at Hurshtown.

Offline Gill Gitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 19, 2008, 02:44 AM »
river scum, have you ran into anybody at shoaf launch with a jetski that acts like he owns the place? had a buddy from work go down there last summer and the guy left his truck and trailor on the ramp while he was out having fun. when he came back he went spazo cussing at my buddy that there was enough room for him to squeeze in and ended up slapping a phone out of his hand into the river.my buddy weighs about 120 due to scoliosis so my guess is he likes to pick on people he thinks he can take advantage of.wouldn't mind running into him myself ;D

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #20 on: Mar 19, 2008, 08:33 AM »
gill

that guy sounds like just what i need some days. i hope to run into him this year! lmao tell your buddy to block tire with rock, pull pin on shift lever and put into neutral,then crawl out and kick rock out from behind tire tire!!!!!!!!!  lmao

kesdaddy

i used to do good walking down stream from devils hollow bridge(first left past sportsman's cove going north on tonkle rd). there are a bunch of log jambs, pools and eddies in this section. did best on lil pop-r or tiny torpedos. not like you will get a limit every time but it is very relaxing and rewarding when you do get a nice one. fly rod would probably be better if your into that. also there used to be a guy that caught them behind the rock dam in cedarville with white curly tail jigs.

wags

you have the key bud! you set something up and we will show! lol i wish they did have night fishing there still. when i was a kid the crapy fishing was awesome at the pier after dark(SW corner). don't think the crapy are as good since it opened to the public, but then again cant do the night thing anymore either.

I'm the guy with the 16ft Lowe with no middle seat a-bomb / waggs ;)

i don't get on here in summer but if you guys want to get up and fish try contacting me @ either crappy.com or catfish1.com. see you guys on the water this summer!

OANN the real story

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:36 PM »

the little river rig 17 ft of pure ugly!.....kinda hard to miss... ;D

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #22 on: Mar 20, 2008, 07:18 AM »
he he, i see my buddies truck back there. oh now, thats not an ugly boat, you just have to like camo. looks like just the rig for up there. im going to bust up the ice at leo ramp this morning. ill post if its open to hit it dont see a problem though she looked pretty soft yesterday. going to try and locate some crapy n bass.

OANN the real story

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #23 on: Mar 20, 2008, 12:55 PM »
negetory on the leo ramp still some 3-4in thick! :'(  jiggin johnny appleseed i guess.

OANN the real story

Offline chicagill35

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bottle Bass Guy
« Reply #24 on: Mar 20, 2008, 02:51 PM »
Is Hurshtown open now??   I will post when the crappies start hitting at bowman lake at Fox island state park.   Take Care
Jim

Offline Wags

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 20, 2008, 07:52 PM »
Is Hurshtown open to the public? Nope not till May 1 not sure if the ice is off tho will check this weekend.

Offline Gill Gitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 21, 2008, 02:53 AM »
gill

that guy sounds like just what i need some days. i hope to run into him this year! lmao tell your buddy to block tire with rock, pull pin on shift lever and put into neutral,then crawl out and kick rock out from behind tire tire!!!!!!!!!  lmao

kesdaddy

i used to do good walking down stream from devils hollow bridge(first left past sportsman's cove going north on tonkle rd). there are a bunch of log jambs, pools and eddies in this section. did best on lil pop-r or tiny torpedos. not like you will get a limit every time but it is very relaxing and rewarding when you do get a nice one. fly rod would probably be better if your into that. also there used to be a guy that caught them behind the rock dam in cedarville with white curly tail jigs.

wags

you have the key bud! you set something up and we will show! lol i wish they did have night fishing there still. when i was a kid the crapy fishing was awesome at the pier after dark(SW corner). don't think the crapy are as good since it opened to the public, but then again cant do the night thing anymore either.

I'm the guy with the 16ft Lowe with no middle seat a-bomb / waggs ;)

i don't get on here in summer but if you guys want to get up and fish try contacting me @ either crappy.com or catfish1.com. see you guys on the water this summer!
wags you can count me and my wife in to we like to fish for crappie at night and i'm sure donney dew and tammy2 will join. keep me posted if you guys really want to go.i'm picking the boat up later today had to get some work done.i'm the one in the maroon and silver procraft fish and ski.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #27 on: Mar 23, 2008, 12:19 PM »
leo ramp busted open by us this morning!!!!

OANN the real story

Offline skeeter24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 23, 2008, 04:58 PM »
Riverscum

hows the water level, through the roof?

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #29 on: Mar 23, 2008, 08:31 PM »
not in the res. it never seams to get really hight there. its about a foot or so high today. I'm going to try and get on the crapy tomorrow. dont look to slaughter them, but i have to try.

OANN the real story

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.