Author Topic: Anchors on shanty needed?  (Read 1622 times)

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anchors on shanty needed?
« on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:07 AM »
I dont use a shanty but picked up a 2 man pullover last year for 20 bucks. Couldn't pass. Leaving for michigan this weekend for a must needed trip. Gonna fish all day and most of night with zero degree night temp. Thought it would be nice to bring and throw in the little buddy to have a warmup area.  Are anchors needed on the pullovers? If so just one or 2 should be ok, right? Put on my I.d # to he legal already.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Anchors on shanty needed?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:10 AM »
If there is enough snow I always shovel the area clean and pile the snow around it , helps as a insulator and helps to make sure the shanty doesn't blow away

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:17 AM »
Eskimo ice anchors ..bar none the EZPZist to install/remove by hand ..I added some anchor points to rear of tub and use a carabiner to secure it to the ice anchor.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Stainless-Steel-Light-Duty-Anchor-Point-4-Pack-54520/206967312
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2019, 09:30 AM »
I anchor my flip over on windy days. Got tired of my shack hitting my legs every time I stood up. For anchor points on the tub I drilled holes, put a length of rope through them and used large fender washers inside the tub. This way I can pull the tiedown ropes inside the tub to move it and pull them out when needed.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2019, 11:25 AM »
Your small and fast Chad but in a good wind I'm not sure even you will be able to catch it on glare ice.  I've seen them go all the way across GSP basin.  If the wind isn't too bad and there's some snow cover you won't have any problems.  You can also leave your auger in a hole and rope it to that.

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2019, 11:33 AM »
i lost two shacks because i did not tie down....listen to this old guy....TIE IT DOWN !
I am haunted by waters...

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2019, 11:34 AM »
i lost two shacks because i did not tie down....listen to this old guy....TIE IT DOWN !
Ha. After a few comments think I'm gonna anchor it

Offline OMIGHTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2019, 02:08 PM »
Here’s  one idea you can try. I’ve always tied onto my gas auger on windy days with my flip over. Never needed to anchor it. Works great!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2019, 02:37 PM »
When I had a Hurritent, i would hammer gutter nails at a slight angle through the eyelets and into the ice. It worked pretty good.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline georgeb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Moved West Michigan --> Indianapolis
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2019, 02:55 PM »
Where are you heading to in Michigan??

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:03 PM »
Where are you heading to in Michigan??
Frankfort area

Offline georgeb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Moved West Michigan --> Indianapolis
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:11 PM »
Very nice area! Just have a decent amount of experience walleye fishing around Michigan and just recently moved wondered what area you were headed to in order to try and provide some tips if I had any. Frankfort is an area we don't go to all that often. I have done well in open water on Platte,  always wanted to ice fish it but never been up there. My buddy caught some decent fish on Bear earlier this ice season, but they were more flukes because he was shallow trying to catch pan fish. Long Lake is great closer to TC as well. Best of luck and enjoy your time in the mitten! Iv'e also never anchored down my flip over shanty, just pack some snow around the outside.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:39 PM »
I anchor my flip over on windy days. Got tired of my shack hitting my legs every time I stood up. For anchor points on the tub I drilled holes, put a length of rope through them and used large fender washers inside the tub. This way I can pull the tiedown ropes inside the tub to move it and pull them out when needed.

Got a picture you can upload? This sounds like something I'd be interested in.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:44 PM »
Ive used snow mixed with hole water for years. works unless there is significant wind. This year I bought the ice anchor kit from clam. well worth the 25$ (give or take). I like the nylon strap bolted to my tub with quick connect clip buckles. Id buy the anchors.... not enough money to sweat over and your insured... 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2019, 04:12 PM »
Got a picture you can upload? This sounds like something I'd be interested in.
I don't have pictures, but it is really easy. I drilled a couple holes in the opposite end of the tub from the tow rope. I put a four foot piece of rope through each hole and through the fender washers. Then I tied a knot in each rope so they couldn't pull through the washers. When I want to tie off to anchors I pull the ropes out through the holes and the fender washers hold the ends of the ropes inside the tub. I pull the ropes and washers back into the tub when pulling it. Very simple and works well. This way you can put the anchors as close to or far from the tub as you chose to.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2019, 04:38 PM »
X2 put the back to the wind and tie it down!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Graygills22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2019, 04:53 PM »
I would at least put one in....seen my buddy's one man travel the whole lake one time...there was no snow at the time and windy...better safe than spilling your minners

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2019, 06:46 PM »
I rode a shanty across the back of the slough a few years back just to be funny. About an inch of water on the ice and wind blowing about 40mph.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2019, 06:53 PM »
Lol, I watched about six Ontario shacks and several flip overs travel the length of a lake and flip end over end when they hit the rushes at the end of the lake. Quite a mess. :o

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2019, 01:35 AM »
Tent stakes that look like big long nails work great and are very cheap. They're around 8-9" long and about as big around as a pencil.
Take a hammer along to drive them in and pull the out. They don't chip pcs of ice out like regular stakes do.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:23 AM »
I don't have pictures, but it is really easy. I drilled a couple holes in the opposite end of the tub from the tow rope. I put a four foot piece of rope through each hole and through the fender washers. Then I tied a knot in each rope so they couldn't pull through the washers. When I want to tie off to anchors I pull the ropes out through the holes and the fender washers hold the ends of the ropes inside the tub. I pull the ropes and washers back into the tub when pulling it. Very simple and works well. This way you can put the anchors as close to or far from the tub as you chose to.

I was picturing something different in my head. Your way is better. Thanks.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Chad don't know if you have checked the weather for Frankfort area yet, but I looked at Irons where my cabin is and I'm seeing alot of single digits and negative numbers for next week. Just a heads up! Good luck if you go and be safe. Later Hex

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:51 AM »
Chad don't know if you have checked the weather for Frankfort area yet, but I looked at Irons where my cabin is and I'm seeing alot of single digits and negative numbers for next week. Just a heads up! Good luck if you go and be safe. Later Hex
Oh yeah. Ironic that I planned a trip north cuz we didnt have ice and now we will have ice here. Nothing like single highs on my first 24 hour outing. More whiskey will be needed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.