Author Topic: BASS LAKE/POCKET  (Read 2850 times)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
BASS LAKE/POCKET
« on: Jan 13, 2016, 01:12 PM »
Heard some guys have been fishing this area. Any ice thickness reports would be appreciated. P.M.'S are always welcomed. TY

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: BASS LAKE/POCKET
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2016, 02:02 PM »
abishop - have seen people out in the "Pocket." I am trying to go out on Saturday - weather permitting. Also I have Monday off - if the ice holds through the weekend. Would not be surprised to see a couple of people maybe hitting the weeds off of Hillbilly Beach.

Cannot confirm if anyone is catching fish yet.

Offline Icy86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Went out today and didnt catch anything or marked one on the vex but I was in the pocket and the ice was 2.5 inches there but the farther I got toward the weedbed the thicker the ice got. 4.5 to 5 inches. If you park at hillbilly beach which would b on the northwest side of the lake, the ice is good there about 4 to 500yds out...beyond that ice ice gets pretty sketchy. Stay clear of areas that have snow cover the ice is thinner in these areas. I also went out about 200 yds from the beach and the ice was a consistant 5 in.....but there is warm weather for the next 2 days plus rain so tread lightly and b safes!!

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2016, 06:37 AM »
Icy86 - you going out this weekend?  I am planning on early Saturday if it is not raining. If the ice is that thick then it should hold until Sunday/Monday cool down.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2016, 08:39 AM »
Is there weeds to be found outside the pocket on the open lake. I heard it was bare as a dessert. I do well when I can find the weeds but not worth the drive if there is none.

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2016, 01:55 PM »
Is there weeds to be found outside the pocket on the open lake. I heard it was bare as a dessert. I do well when I can find the weeds but not worth the drive if there is none.

If - or when - I make it out Saturday I will try and let you know. Check the boards or your mail Bigr.

Boomer

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2016, 02:45 PM »
   I looked my last two times out and found O. This was in October. Didn't catch any fish either. Go figure. Hopefully this ice season will produce some fish. Hope to explore mid week.

Offline Icy86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2016, 04:06 PM »
No weeds but I dont think if got out far enough to find them......I ran into a guy today that said the killed out the weeds over the summer

Offline amodave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2016, 04:16 PM »
Really want to head up there in the morning. Anyone have an opinion on if it will still be safe? Not looking to find anybody's fishing holes but if anyone knows where we could find the thicker ice that would help a lot. Bout 2.5 hours away but there's absolutely nothing around here to fish. Is the bait shop still open by the lake? Hopefully we'll see a couple of you out there tomorrow.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2016, 05:15 PM »
No weeds but I dont think if got out far enough to find them......I ran into a guy today that said the killed out the weeds over the summer
  They always seem to kill them every year. WHY, DON"T KNOW. Maybe cause it is shallow and there are a lot of weeds before the BIG KILL.

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2016, 06:43 PM »
amodave - both bait shops are open.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2016, 04:13 PM »
Anyone planning on trying it tomorrow? I would like to give it a try after Wednesday. Having a new well installed. After that it is fish on providing there is enough ice 4 me. LOL...

Offline troutline

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2016, 06:03 PM »
There were five trucks parked at the pocket today.

Offline triplej

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2016, 07:27 PM »
I fished the pocket tonight there were about 20 ppl all together out there some were in pocket. there was also some out by there the big horse shoe starts not far from the pocket. then it looked like someone was across the lake over by the big single pine tree. there was solid 3' over in the pocket.

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2016, 09:39 PM »
Fished Bass Lake this morning until just after noon or so. Fished both the "Pocket" and out in front of "Hillbilly Beach." I must have been one of the trucks you saw.

Agree with the ice report. Definitely need cleats. Interesting day: four species caught ! ! ! Largemouth Bass (X2); Bluegill (11 small keepers + may small fish); one crappie; one gar! ! ! (I think this is my first "legal" catch of a gar. Boy, I did not think I would get my jig back. I could hardly open its mouth - even with my hemostats!)

Going back out in the morning I hope.

Bigr - weeds hard to come by. If you can find a patch I would fish it. Don't think you want to come up just for what we are getting now.

Offline Big Buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2016, 02:53 PM »
Made it to Bass today-it was great to get out but fishing wasnt good-ice was solid a good 5 inches!

Offline icecleate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2016, 02:55 PM »
Where is "Hillbilly Beach"?

Offline Big Buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2016, 03:07 PM »
I have no idea

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2016, 04:11 PM »
Where is "Hillbilly Beach"?

If you come off of US 35 and go towards the boat ramp, turn left at the curve where the flag pole is. It is on the northwest side of the lake. Hillbilly Beach and The Pocket have the same parking.  Saw a few shanties out these this afternoon but was on another mission with the wife.

Offline icecleate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2016, 04:19 PM »
Thanks. That is what I thought but was not sure.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2016, 06:32 PM »
Anyone make it to Bass Lake today??? Was wondering on the condition of the ice/bite. Haven't heard anything from this lake in a while.

Offline icecleate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2016, 09:49 PM »
Hit Bass this evening. Fished off Gull Point. I would say there was 5" of good ice where we fished. Marked very few fish. There was noth a soul fishing the pocket, in front of the marina or boat ramp. There was only 6 of us fishing the main lake.

Offline BGM_T-hawks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2016, 10:28 PM »
Was right out front of the beach. Had 8 inches of ice, 13 fow. Marked a couple; but no bites.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.